• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Its June now, right?

famartin

Saw it snow during a thunderstorm on Father's Day in 1983 at Dugway UT. That's why we always referred to the Four Seasons at Dugway as June, July, August and Winter.

Steve

Was it snow or graupel Steve? We're much more likely to get graupel during t-storms all the way into June out West as you probably know. We had graupel before it changed to rain and then big fat wet flakes.

Yup... been a cold spring. Not a single good warm spell yet.

That looks to come to an end Saturday and Sunday up here, though lower 80s only barely qualifies as a "warm spell" for early June. We should have seen bouts of 80s by early May.

We too have usually seen 80s at least once by now. Though, this Spring hasn't been quite as bad as last Spring, at least here... last Spring (especially May) was brutal.

Yup... been a cold spring. Not a single good warm spell yet.

That looks to come to an end Saturday and Sunday up here, though lower 80s only barely qualifies as a "warm spell" for early June. We should have seen bouts of 80s by early May.

You think so? Per the NWS, Portland only sees an average of three 80+ days in all of May and none in April:

http://www.wrh.noaa....limate/pg19.pdf

We too have usually seen 80s at least once by now. Though, this Spring hasn't been quite as bad as last Spring, at least here... last Spring (especially May) was brutal.

Yup, both springs have been miserable here. This spring we had our latest first 70°F on record (4/23), last year we had our latest first 80°F on record (6/12). We're only going to miss that again this year by 8 days. They've been almost equally terrible here, though I'd give the slight edge to this spring as the worse one.

You think so? Per the NWS, Portland only sees an average of three 80+ days in all of May and none in April:

http://www.wrh.noaa....limate/pg19.pdf

Yes.

I would guess the average first 80°F day would probably be around May 10th-ish. And it's not just 80s--that's one convenient stat, but doesn't show the whole picture. We've had a significant dearth of 70s as well.

Was it snow or graupel Steve? We're much more likely to get graupel during t-storms all the way into June out West as you probably know. We had graupel before it changed to rain and then big fat wet flakes.

I've actually seen both snow pellets and snowflakes during T-snow in the West and my best recollection was that where I was at, it was flaky. The observer reported TSW+ at the Ditto Work Center. The convective snow bursts I've seen here in AZ started out as pellets but then became heavy large flakes.

Steve

Yup, both springs have been miserable here. This spring we had our latest first 70°F on record (4/23), last year we had our latest first 80°F on record (6/12). We're only going to miss that again this year by 8 days. They've been almost equally terrible here, though I'd give the slight edge to this spring as the worse one.

Didn't PDX also see the latest 75 on record this year?

March./April were definitely worse for the PNW this year, looks like May/June may not be quite as bad this year.

Archived