• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    amirah5
    Newest Member
    amirah5
Florida 2011 Spring & Summer Wet Season Part II

It was in the paper this morning, hail swath started at the county line of Broward and Dade, maximized around me and Davie, and puttered out in northern Weston/Sunrise.

Another vigorous day of storms appears to be on tap.

Wow... Just wow. Nice video and I hope nobody had anything bad happen to them out there. I've only seen pea size hail once in a crazy spring storm here. Todays AFD mentions the smoke from the fires as a contributor to the severity of the storm (saying that it provided a condensation nuclei). So you folks have some ATV riders out on Tamiami Trail to blame for that screen and anything else that might have happened :x.

As for up by me it was a nice steady not-too-crazy rain that lasted more or less an hour.

• Replies 804
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We got absolutely pounded by that severe storm, lost power for 5 hours so couldn't post until now. Right after the outflow boundary passed and I made my last post, we got a downburst that resulted in wind gusts over 60+ mph. And then it began to hail like crazy, up to golf ball sized, with periods of wind driven hail. Shredded the trees, awnings, screens, and messed up my car. Thank goodness for insurance.

The hail gets more intense as this video progresses:

A quick video of the screen getting shredded:

That is some extreme hail for a summer Florida Tstorm.

Doesn't sound like the lakeland area will be joining the fun the gang in South Florida had yesterday, in regards to some big storms today.

Mid morning Tampa AFD.

UPDATE...SUBTLE CHANGES IN THE ATMOSPHERE HAVE TAKEN PLACE SINCE

THIS TIME YESTERDAY. PRECIPITABLE WATER VALUES ARE ABOUT THE

SAME...NEAR AN INCH AND A HALF...BUT THE TEMPERATURE PROFILE OF

THE ATMOSPHERE HAS WARMED 2 TO 3 DEGREES CELSIUS...ESPECIALLY

BETWEEN 700 AND 300 MBS. RELATIVE HUMIDITIES ARE ALSO LOWER IN TH

MID-LEVELS...WHICH SHOULD LEAD TO DRY AIR ENTRAINMENT AS STORMS

TRY TO BUILD TODAY. OVERALL THIS SHOULD LEAD TO LESS DEVELOPMENT

NEAR THE COAST THAN WHAT WE SAW YESTERDAY AND LESS COVERAGE EVEN

OVER THE INTERIOR.

Yesterdays storms sputtered out before reaching me. I got a 5 minute light drizzle that did not wet the ground at all. Today there is a little more hope for me.

Melbourne ...

NOW...THROUGH THIS AFTERNOON...WITH WESTERLY FLOW THE EAST COAST

SEA BREEZE BOUNDARY MAY ONLY DEVELOP FROM ROUGHLY COCOA-MELBOURNE

SOUTHWARD. IF IT DOES...IT WILL BE DELAYED AND MAY NOT MOVE TOO FAR

INLAND IF AT ALL. THE WEST COAST SEA BREEZE BOUNDARY WILL BE MORE

ACTIVE AND MOVE ACROSS THE PENINSULA TODAY. LATER IN THE AFTERNOON

ISOLATED TO WIDELY SCATTERED LIGHTNING STORMS WILL BE POSSIBLE ALONG

IT. SUBSEQUENT BOUNDARY INTERACTIONS FROM STORM OUTFLOWS MAY IGNITE

ADDITIONAL STORMS LATE IN THE DAY AND EARLY EVENING. STORM MOVEMENT

WILL BE TOWARD THE EAST-SOUTHEAST AT AROUND 10 MPH OR LESS.

A FEW STORMS MAY BE STRONG AND CAPABLE OF FREQUENT CLOUD TO GROUND

LIGHTNING...STRONG DOWNBURST WINDS BETWEEN 40 AND 50 MPH...SMALL HAIL

AND LOCALIZED HEAVY RAINFALL.

STORMS MAY AFFECT INLAND LAKES BY MID TO LATE AFTERNOON...AND

POTENTIALLY THE INTRACOASTAL AND NEAR SHORE WATERS OF THE WESTERN

ATLANTIC BY LATE AFTERNOON AND EVENING AS THEY PUSH BACK TOWARD THE

EAST COAST. BOATERS WILL NEED TO KEEP AN EYE TO THE SKY LATE IN THE DAY.

Jville says we're supposed to get rain but I been hearing that for a few days.:rolleyes:

Not going to get my hopes up. If it happens , great, if not there's always tomorrow.:(

Some nice cells around the Ocala area and some starting to fire up across Northern Florida. It looks like some action firing up in Dade county also. Pretty quiet across Central Florida so far today.

Big storm sliding just to our south, sending a few sprinkles this way and alot of outflow wind. Gusts up to 30 mph for the past hour. More storms approaching from the west, associated with the west coast sea-breeze. Things are gonna get messy over the metro areas as the west and east coast sea-breezes collide, as well as outflow boundaries.

and now this big issue in Palm Beach County, concerning the city of WPB.

http://www.wptv.com/dpp/news/region_c_palm_beach_county/west_palm_beach/city-water-could-run-out-in-weeks%3B-%E2%80%99significant-threat-exists-to-the-public%E2%80%99s-health%E2%80%99

West Palm Beach water could run out in weeks; ’significant threat exists to the public’s health’

I havent seen a drop since June 1st, it needs to rain and soon

Same here, while areas south and North of me have been getting some decent storms, so far this month nothing in my neck of the woods. I think I have brought the Cub curse to the rainy season in my part of Central Florida.:lol:

Yes, damage reports coming in from North Florida across to the JAX area.. Looks like Dime to Quarter size hail being reported and plenty of trees down like you said..

http://www.spc.noaa....orts/today.html

and a tree fell on a Cadillac in the Arlington neighborhood, a big ass Laurel Oak at that.

http://www.news4jax....539/detail.html

Same here, while areas south and North of me have been getting some decent storms, so far this month nothing in my neck of the woods. I think I have brought the Cub curse to the rainy season in my part of Central Florida.:lol:

Don't fret my friend. Yesterday PSL had a few drops and today just enough from the action to wet the ground and off it went. Baby steps ... we are getting there! The areas south of me have had beneficial action the past two days so that is a good thing.

As far as the Cubs go .... come on bro ... no weather curse could match that :P

and now this big issue in Palm Beach County, concerning the city of WPB.

http://www.wptv.com/...health%E2%80%99

West Palm Beach water could run out in weeks; ’significant threat exists to the public’s health’

This ties into the recent discussion here over the inability of Lake O to hold its bounty when it comes.

Don't fret my friend. Yesterday PSL had a few drops and today just enough from the action to wet the ground and off it went. Baby steps ... we are getting there! The areas south of me have had beneficial action the past two days so that is a good thing.

As far as the Cubs go .... come on bro ... no weather curse could match that :P

Yea, I know, things are changing and it looks like South Florida is getting into the rainy season pattern ,so hopefully it will work its way up to me in the Lakeland area soon. I am just getting impatient not seeing my daily storms this time of the year.:lol:

Your right, no weather curse could match the Cubbie curse.:lol:

Tampa AFD sounds more promising today for some stronger storms for me the next few days and rain chances overall sound promising through the week-end.:thumbsup:

MODELS ARE

TRYING TO HINT A DECENT PUSH FROM THE EAST COAST SEA BREEZE

TOMORROW AND FRIDAY...SO MAY SEE SOME STRONGER STORMS WITH THE SEA

BREEZE COLLISION. RAIN

CHANCES WILL CONTINUE THROUGH THE EXTENDED AND INCREASE BY THIS

WEEKEND AS PWATS RISE TO NEAR 2 INCHES

A little help from some of the mets.

This is from this AM's Jville discussion.

What does the highlighted part of this mean.

Update... updated the forecast graphics and zone forecast to add a chance of isolated thunderstorms over areas near U.S. Highway 301 and portions of the Suwannee Valley. Am not convinced that the cap will be strong enough to suppress all convection associated with the Gulf of Mexico sea breeze front and lift from near 100 degree surface temperatures in the interior. Morning kjax sounding just came in with a decent low level cap but a cape near 3200 j/kg so expect that whatever is able to blow through the cap will be vigorous with strong to pulse severe cells possible. Again think these will be very isolated but possible. Also with lots of smoke in the air collision-coalescence will be inhibited and less efficient in the lower layers of the atmosphere so expect more high based convection with potential arching of ground to ground strikes.

Archived