• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
Florida 2011 Spring & Summer Wet Season Part II

The news just showed some live footage of the fire about to jump over the Tamiami trail. The indian reservation (which is basically a town of 100 homes) is precariously close to the fire now, they're doing water drops as fast as possible to stop it. This thing moved way faster than expected, this wasn't supposed to happen yet.

• Replies 804
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There's actually some decent scattered showers around Lake Okeechobee. Probably heavy downpours with those, and there's no lightning being detected. Best day in awhile but still not much.

I drove by the fire again and there's definitely some pyrocumulus associated with it. You can see shafts of ash raining down from the plume too. If only we could get a heavy downpour over it.

That area could use all the rain it can get. It's a damn shame to look at the 18Z NAM and see how close but yet so far some very heavy rainfall gets to your area.

post-974-0-64625100-1307572340.gif

That area could use all the rain it can get. It's a damn shame to look at the 18Z NAM and see how close but yet so far some very heavy rainfall gets to your area.

post-974-0-64625100-1307572340.gif

I guess MBY had a 5 minute light shower today according to my wife while I was at work. She commented that at least some bugs were chased out of the gutters.

The smoke cloud from those fires was easily visible from FIU yesterday. I can't see it today but it's harder to differentiate from the cloudy backdrop. Fortunately it is not as windy or dry today. Any storms with lightning would probably cause more harm than good.

Anybody notice the energy crossing the FL straits?

Yeah, I'm hoping it can hold together. I've seen too many convective clusters on the same trajectory die before getting to South Florida to get excited yet though.

Things are getting more normal again regardless, winds have died down and the humidity is high. They're starting to get control of the Miami-Dade fire due to that, now at 30,000 acres.

Yeah, I'm hoping it can hold together. I've seen too many convective clusters on the same trajectory die before getting to South Florida to get excited yet though.

Things are getting more normal again regardless, winds have died down and the humidity is high. They're starting to get control of the Miami-Dade fire due to that, now at 30,000 acres.

Glad to see they're starting to get the fire under control. Hopefully the SB T-storms will be able to start soon. I see a few east of me here in Central Florida and I hope the trend continues.

Line of showers heading for the fire! Some tops over 12,000 ft, no lightning detected yet. This could be what kills it if it hits it right (which it appears it will) and the fire department takes advantage of this moment. They probably will, last I checked they were going at full force to save the reservation.

Line of showers heading for the fire! Some tops over 12,000 ft, no lightning detected yet. This could be what kills it if it hits it right (which it appears it will) and the fire department takes advantage of this moment. They probably will, last I checked they were going at full force to save the reservation.

sweet!

There was a large forest fire back in 2007 when I lived in Ocean County NJ. The fire in the Pine Barrens was started by a mis guided F-16 practice bombing run drop at a range in the forest. It raged for 3 days duringextreme dry conditions and my area was evacuated two times in three days. I disobeyed and stayed at my house with a friend and sent my wife and kids to my parents after the 1st evac. We were ready with three hoses and sitting on the roof to get a better look on day three when the inferno got within a quarter of a mile away and ash and all falling around. State Police and locals running the streets warning all to get out. It was surreal to say the least. Then, and so thankfully an expected squall line rolled in and dumped a quick .45 and was the trick neaded for fire fighters from all over Jersey to get it under control.

The Air Force ended up sending letters to every residence in the evacuation zone to come in with proof of residence then forked over cold cash to each household who signed off on NO DAMAGE to body or property in compensation for what was readily admitted as a bad mistake. Unfortunately, there were several homes that did burn to the ground and a handful with major damage. Then, some with smoke damage but nothing structural. I have no idea how those cases were handled but no noise was made and I can only assume the AF paid up big time. There were no major injuries and no loss of life thankfully.

The pics I took are over at Eastern somewhere.

EDIT - I found the thread! I know this does not have anything to do with today but what turtle is documenting reminds me so much of this. The pics are gone but the thread is there!

Eastern SNJ Forest Fire thread from May 2007

50,000 acres as of this morning. The indian reservation is gonna be ok thankfully, but this thing is still running wild.

50,000 acres, yikes. A few fires have started around here as well, the biggest is NW of me in Levy County. It's 3100 acres, small compared to the fire near you. At least Polk County has started a burn ban, so hopefully that will help. Keeping fingers crossed the rains start soon.

sweet!

There was a large forest fire back in 2007 when I lived in Ocean County NJ. The fire in the Pine Barrens was started by a mis guided F-16 practice bombing run drop at a range in the forest. It raged for 3 days duringextreme dry conditions and my area was evacuated two times in three days. I disobeyed and stayed at my house with a friend and sent my wife and kids to my parents after the 1st evac. We were ready with three hoses and sitting on the roof to get a better look on day three when the inferno got within a quarter of a mile away and ash and all falling around. State Police and locals running the streets warning all to get out. It was surreal to say the least. Then, and so thankfully an expected squall line rolled in and dumped a quick .45 and was the trick neaded for fire fighters from all over Jersey to get it under control.

The Air Force ended up sending letters to every residence in the evacuation zone to come in with proof of residence then forked over cold cash to each household who signed off on NO DAMAGE to body or property in compensation for what was readily admitted as a bad mistake. Unfortunately, there were several homes that did burn to the ground and a handful with major damage. Then, some with smoke damage but nothing structural. I have no idea how those cases were handled but no noise was made and I can only assume the AF paid up big time. There were no major injuries and no loss of life thankfully.

EDIT - I found the thread! I know this does not have anything to do with today but what turtle is documenting reminds me so much of this. The pics are gone but the thread is there!

Wow. What would you have done if the fire had reached your home before the squall? I can't imagine a couple guys on their roof with hoses could stop a massive forest fire. Not trying to bash you-but I would have been out of there the second they called for an evacuation!

Nice find by the way, good read of something that doesn't happen all too often.

sweet!

Damn, that must be one hell of a feeling thinking your seconds way from losing everything you worked so hard for. Glad it worked out in the end and I hope none of us have to experience anything like that this year.

50,000 acres, yikes. A few fires have started around here as well, the biggest is NW of me in Levy County. It's 3100 acres, small compared to the fire near you. At least Polk County has started a burn ban, so hopefully that will help. Keeping fingers crossed the rains start soon.

50,000 may be small compared to the final number, temps in the 90s, RHs around 50, no rain, full sun, and breezy conditions today will make this thing explode. This is going to have major implications for the southeast Florida metro areas by Monday, since winds are gonna blow all the smoke right into us. It's gonna be bad unless this goes out by some miracle.

The fire itself could even be a problem for the fringes of the western suburbs.

Looks like SB initiated some action on the SW coast up from everglades city around to naples.

Getting some shower action in the east coast metro areas too from a band associated with the low in the Bahamas. More moisture heading in from the south. Definitely positive things going on, but the question is will it be enough to soak the fire before the winds turn?

Wow. What would you have done if the fire had reached your home before the squall? I can't imagine a couple guys on their roof with hoses could stop a massive forest fire. Not trying to bash you-but I would have been out of there the second they called for an evacuation!

Nice find by the way, good read of something that doesn't happen all too often.

It was one of those things when you just react to the situation and really I never felt threatened as far as life and limb goes but I did worry about my home and property. The 2nd day of the fire when the 1st evacuations were ordered my wife and I rounded up what we thought were non replacable and she and the kids hopped in the truck and drove off 20 miles to the north to stay with my parents. The fire that day was close (5 miles or so) but the wind was in my favor. Even so, smoke was piling in at street level all over which was certainly helped along by control fires lit all around. The third day was when all the weird stuff happened.

The day started with no wind but the stench of burning pine forest and the control burns the night before by fire fighters was unbearable. I had all windows shut and no AC running or the fan. My good friend who still lives about 6 miles south of me stopped in for the day as we both worked for the same company and took the day off. We spent the day watering the crap out of the entire property and doused all trees as high up as we could. No physical sign of fire anywhere except for the helicopter traffic and police roaming the streets and what was feeling like an eternal smell of a campfire. My home was three streets in off of Route 72 in Manahawkin NJ. The other side of 72 were the Pine Barrens. I felt that I was just in far enough that there was not enough fuel (besides houses themselves) to overwhelm us in the event an inferno jumped the highway. Well, the wind kicked up from due west and all hell broke loose as intense black smoke billowed up from everywhere to the west in what seemed like minutes and followed by renewed vigor by state and local police trying to warn all and imploring us all to leave was followed by helicopter after helicopter loaded with water or who knows what. This is when we hopped on the roof as real sooty black ash began falling everywhere. Kind of like huge wet snow flakes lol! Obviously, the reason we went to the roof was in the event any of this stuff started glowing orange and the roof is the most vulnerable part! We felt pretty good that we were prepared as can be and were ready to douse any hot embers that fell.

Thunderstorms were predicted and all forecasts were confident that a line of storms would set up that day and that is what happened. I believe that for the first two thirds of the day each and every person who lived there, the police, and all of the firefighters were hanging on to the forecast. It was maybe two or three hours before the rain came that the wind picked up and we all watched this amazing inferno. I mean, the huge billowing smoke towers were so close that we started to see the orange fury of fireballs in the midst of them. This is when I took some really vivid pictures and felt the most vulnerable. The sky was so choked with smoke and ash falling everywhere that it was not noticable that the line of storms was approaching. Rain opened up for a good 25 minutes and was heavy for about half of that time, followed by another 40 minutes or so of light rain. Enough to squash the fury and was what brought the fire truly under control! Firefighters did the rest.

Today may be the beginning of good things to come. Pwats and moisture are on the increase. Forecast for the next week is the best I have seen in a while. At least for north central Florida.

Jville discussion.

Synopsis... A fairly unsettled period is forecast into the middle of next week...with temperatures generally running above normal. && Short term /today through Monday night/... Combination of weak upper troughing...along with surface instability will lead to the potential for primarily afternoon convection today and Sunday. As a weak frontal boundary slides southeast across the region Monday...there will be a chance for more organized convection Monday afternoon into Monday night. Near normal maximum temperatures for today will be replaced with above normal readings for Sunday and Monday. && Long term... /Tuesday through Saturday/... Troughing lingers across the southeast through Tuesday...continuing to provide a focus mechanism for convection. A fairly progressive upper pattern takes hold for the remainder of the period...pointing to a more unsettled period...with a series of waves expected to pivot through. Temperatures will generally run a few degrees above normal for the period.

Today may be the beginning of good things to come. Pwats and moisture are on the increase. Forecast for the next week is the best I have seen in a while. At least for north central Florida.

Jville discussion.

Synopsis... A fairly unsettled period is forecast into the middle of next week...with temperatures generally running above normal. && Short term /today through Monday night/... Combination of weak upper troughing...along with surface instability will lead to the potential for primarily afternoon convection today and Sunday. As a weak frontal boundary slides southeast across the region Monday...there will be a chance for more organized convection Monday afternoon into Monday night. Near normal maximum temperatures for today will be replaced with above normal readings for Sunday and Monday. && Long term... /Tuesday through Saturday/... Troughing lingers across the southeast through Tuesday...continuing to provide a focus mechanism for convection. A fairly progressive upper pattern takes hold for the remainder of the period...pointing to a more unsettled period...with a series of waves expected to pivot through. Temperatures will generally run a few degrees above normal for the period.

I hope you get some rain and South Florida can also. The Tampa AFD is less bullish, this little blurb about the long range says it all.

I remember DT in his summer forecast did say Florida would have a drier then normal June followed by above normal rain in July and August. Lets hope he is right..

Tampa AFD. today.

DRIER AIR ALOFT OVER THE

REGION WHICH WILL KEEP POPS BELOW CLIMATIC NORMALS.

:axe:

Drove by the fire about an hour ago on I-75 and it was just incredible. Miles upon miles of billowing smoke. The main plume is initiating updrafts that are reaching the tropopause, a classic pyrocumulus situation. It is definitely going to be a problem for the metro areas in the coming days smoke wise.

They haven't updated the size since last morning, which was 50,000 acres. It is much bigger now. It's also made it to Broward county, and I'm very concerned for the fringes of the western suburbs. I can already see it from my house.

Archived