Most Online
    amirah5
    Newest Member
    amirah5
Florida 2011 Spring & Summer Wet Season Part II

• Replies 804
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The fire is definitely acting as a focus for the thunderstorm complex developing on the SE coast now. Tons of rain, just what we needed, and it's right over the fire too. This may be the end of it actually! I sure hope so.

Hoping the rain does the trick on that fire and send some rain my way please.:lol:

Melbourne says: meh, but getting better

.DAYS TWO THROUGH SEVEN...MONDAY THROUGH SATURDAY.

THERE WILL BE AT LEAST A SLIGHT CHANCE FOR AFTERNOON LIGHTNING

STORMS EARLY THIS WEEK AS THE SEA BREEZE COLLISION OCCURS ON THE

EAST SIDE OF THE PENINSULA. SOME OF THE STORMS ON MONDAY AND

TUESDAY MAY CONTAIN STRONG DOWNBURST WINDS AND FREQUENT LIGHTNING

STRIKES.

This is a fun tool over at NOAA. I set parameters to show the track of any depression on up to Cat 5 that the center came withing 25 miles of my home. Since the beginning of historical records it looks like.

25miles.jpg

Wow, I didn't know NOAA had anything like that.. That's pretty cool,. tThanks for sharing. Going to run the data for my area now.

Wow, I didn't know NOAA had anything like that.. That's pretty cool,. tThanks for sharing. Going to run the data for my area now.

Ran the data for my area and I might as well not even prepare for a storm.

Of the 89 storms that came within 65 miles only 6 were cat 2 or 3. Nothing higher then that. Everything else was a 1, TS, or a depression. The last one that even had any punch was Donna in 1960. The closest storm of any strength was Charley at 50 miles away and it was only a Cat 1 at the time.

Yep, that genny I bought sure works great.:lol:

Of the 89 storms that came within 65 miles only 6 were cat 2 or 3. Nothing higher then that. Everything else was a 1, TS, or a depression. The last one that even had any punch was Donna in 1960. The closest storm of any strength was Charley at 50 miles away and it was only a Cat 1 at the time.

I did a search of 50 miles from my location in Lakeland Florida and found 2 were Cat 4, 13 were cat 2 or 3 and the rest, cat 1 or lower out of the total of 63 storms

turtle,

looks like more storms over the fire area again! Also, West Coast is popping somewhat.

Yup, whatever might've been smoldering there will be nixed by that storm. It's less than 10 miles from my house and approaching, skies are getting very dark. It's developing at the confluence of the east coast sea-breeze and an outflow boundary that developed from thunderstorms on the south coast sea-breeze, so there's alot of energy to work with.

This may only be round 1, lots of strong storms from the west coast sea-breeze heading this way.

No doubt that the rainy season is finally here!

I would love a house generator. Can't afford it right now. And, keep that chin up! A slow moving D, TS or Cat 1 can wreak tremendous havoc lol! Seriously though, I am looking forward to the day copious rains from a system like this arrive. Didn't Fay make all kinds of noise? I was not here for that ....

Yup, whatever might've been smoldering there will be nixed by that storm. It's less than 10 miles from my house and approaching, skies are getting very dark. It's developing at the confluence of the east coast sea-breeze and an outflow boundary that developed from thunderstorms on the south coast sea-breeze, so there's alot of energy to work with.

This may only be round 1, lots of strong storms from the west coast sea-breeze heading this way.

No doubt that the rainy season is finally here!

:thumbsup:

The tide is turning!

I would love a house generator. Can't afford it right now. And, keep that chin up! A slow moving D, TS or Cat 1 can wreak tremendous havoc lol! Seriously though, I am looking forward to the day copious rains from a system like this arrive. Didn't Fay make all kinds of noise? I was not here for that ....

We could use a Fay this year. It did bring parts of the state some heavy rainfall and made 4 landfalls in Florida.

Nice healthy batch of storms alll up and down the SW coast. One even prompted a STW - storm is at us27/krome near the county line and headed up towards W Broward. Should be a nice soak. Now lets hope these conditions stick around for a while and we start doing this every day.

12Z MIA SOUNDING (06/12/11) EQUIL LEVEL 46998, CAPE 3872, PWAT 2.06PWATs finally reaching season norms and that CAPE is awesome.

Nice healthy batch of storms alll up and down the SW coast. One even prompted a STW - storm is at us27/krome near the county line and headed up towards W Broward. Should be a nice soak. Now lets hope these conditions stick around for a while and we start doing this every day.

12Z MIA SOUNDING (06/12/11) EQUIL LEVEL 46998, CAPE 3872, PWAT 2.06PWATs finally reaching season norms and that CAPE is awesome.

^^^^

We're just about to get smacked with the severe warned storm. Incredible outflow on the front side, and some rotating elements, though nothing tornadic.

BROWARD FL-MIAMI-DADE FL-

343 PM EDT SUN JUN 12 2011

...A SEVERE THUNDERSTORM WARNING REMAINS IN EFFECT UNTIL 415 PM EDT

FOR FAR NORTH CENTRAL MIAMI-DADE AND SOUTH CENTRAL BROWARD

COUNTIES...

AT 336 PM EDT...NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE DOPPLER RADAR CONTINUED TO

INDICATE A SEVERE THUNDERSTORM CAPABLE OF PRODUCING LARGE HAIL...AND

DAMAGING WINDS IN EXCESS OF 60 MPH. THIS STORM WAS LOCATED OVER

WESTERN MIRAMAR...MOVING NORTHEAST AT 15 MPH.

HAIL UP TO PING PONG SIZE AND WIND GUSTS TO AROUND 60 MPH ARE LIKELY

WITH THIS STORM.

A Fay is just what this state needs. Got about 6 inches thanks to her.

We got absolutely pounded by that severe storm, lost power for 5 hours so couldn't post until now. Right after the outflow boundary passed and I made my last post, we got a downburst that resulted in wind gusts over 60+ mph. And then it began to hail like crazy, up to golf ball sized, with periods of wind driven hail. Shredded the trees, awnings, screens, and messed up my car. Thank goodness for insurance.

The hail gets more intense as this video progresses:

A quick video of the screen getting shredded:

We got absolutely pounded by that severe storm, lost power for 5 hours so couldn't post until now. Right after the outflow boundary passed and I made my last post, we got a downburst that resulted in wind gusts over 60+ mph. And then it began to hail like crazy, up to golf ball sized, with periods of wind driven hail. Shredded the trees, awnings, screens, and messed up my car. Thank goodness for insurance.

wow! :yikes: That is some hail that meant business! I have had hail just once since moving to FL and that was dime sized stuff that bounced around pretty good but did no damage. The stuff you got is atypical right?!

wow! :yikes: That is some hail that meant business! I have had hail just once since moving to FL and that was dime sized stuff that bounced around pretty good but did no damage. The stuff you got is atypical right?!

I've never seen hail like this in Florida. I've seen reports though here and there of extreme hail like that across south and central Florida. I was in disbelief once they got bigger than quarters, just didn't think that could happen with such warm low-level temperatures. I can only imagine the updraft strength. I bet an updraft that strong in the upper Midwest would make baseball to softball sized hail.

The hail gets more intense as this video progresses:

Wow, that's some pretty intense hail, Since moving to Florida in 96 I have seen hail several times( pea to dime size hail) but nothing that intesnse or as large as golf ball size. Nice car also, BTW.:bike:

Archived