• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Forum Buddy?

Justin

With what has happened in JoMo's town today- Joplin, Mo.- I was wondering if perhaps we should have a buddy system or something of the like here on the forums. In case our home town is ever hit by a bad tornado or bad weather event we could find a way to contact our buddy and our buddy could at least post to the forum that we are okay.... Just a suggestion. The other thing I had come up with was to give a moderator a means to contact us like a cell phone if we choose, that way they would be able to confirm we are okay...of course that would only be used for the purpose of our towns being struck be a major weather/natural disaster event. Suggestions, criticisms, or alternatives certainly welcome. I, myself, kinda like the buddy idea.

With what has happened in JoMo's town today- Joplin, Mo.- I was wondering if perhaps we should have a buddy system or something of the like here on the forums. In case our home town is ever hit by a bad tornado or bad weather event we could find a way to contact our buddy and our buddy could at least post to the forum that we are okay.... Just a suggestion. The other thing I had come up with was to give a moderator a means to contact us like a cell phone if we choose, that way they would be able to confirm we are okay...of course that would only be used for the purpose of our towns being struck be a major weather/natural disaster event. Suggestions, criticisms, or alternatives certainly welcome. I, myself, kinda like the buddy idea.

I like this. In fact, I think it would be great if there was a special thread for those about to be impacted by severe weather. When a tornado is approaching, many of us come to the board first for the latest info. I know I did a few months back when I was camped out in the basement. Beau Dodson was able to inform me that the cell was headed right over my city.

My thought is that perhaps that would be a good place for those in harms way to just flash their current address/location. I also think the board should have an emergency "Check in" phone number for members impacted. It could be a free Google Voice number that can be called and a message left. One of the mods could check the voicemails if this happens again.

Something to remember about Google Voice is that *some* rural area phone systems do NOT allow calls to Google Voice. I ran into this with some classified ads I posted that rang to a GV number. I got some reports that the number was not going through for people in certain areas. Might be an issue for those in areas impacted.

I'm mainly a forum lurker but a weather geek and enjoy reading through the vast knowledge presented here. I'm definately a proponent of teaming up with someone fairly local to check in after a weather event. I belive janetjanet lives fairly close to me.

Excellent idea. I'm fortunate since I'm related to two members (Wow & Meow) on here so they can get in touch with me and vice versa but they're in NC and I'm here in Houston. Would love to have some contact info for my peeps locally so if they needed help or I did we could be available for each other.

The American Wx Facebook page could also be a spot to check in or "friend" - main concern is that people know your username on the forum. Something one could also put on their Facebook info page.

Access to internet is frequently out after disasters. Needs to be a manual/phone based system.

Great idea Justin.... especially with the cell phone idea, with web-based texting if you have google voice you could set up a americanwx check in number that a Hoosier (or another mod, just using you as the example case) could use to text someone and check in on them... I know in the bad ice storm in 2009 I did that as a psuedo way of keeping Beau updated on how the ice storm was going on, and that he was doing ok from the storm.

I think it's a good idea to have a forum buddy especially if you're under a tornado warning or in a hurricane. I'd probably get a family member or friend to update my situation if god-forbid if ever came down to it, but as a last minute ditch I could always PM a mod my address and # just in case.

Well I guess we can post addresses, or we can IM myself the info...I can make a spreadsheet or whatever. Or we can pair up with a regional buddy... I think its a helpful thing, especially in these circumstances and with what we have coming in the next few days so we can ensure all of our members are safe or accounted for... everyone can let me know how they want to go about the logistics

of doing this.

LOL lets just hope we never have to do that..

it got hairy around 830pm last night JHamps... it was very, windy and rain coming down in sheets with the tornado siren going off. Sounds like a gustnado was spotted on the NW side of town and just zipped right along to the East very quickly and did some minor damage. Nothing to major thankfully. I never want to go through an EF4 or 5 I don't care how big of a weather buff and nut I am, that is just to damn scary for me.

it got hairy around 830pm last night JHamps... it was very, windy and rain coming down in sheets with the tornado siren going off. Sounds like a gustnado was spotted on the NW side of town and just zipped right along to the East very quickly and did some minor damage. Nothing to major thankfully. I never want to go through an EF4 or 5 I don't care how big of a weather buff and nut I am, that is just to damn scary for me.

no kidding there, got a bit hairy for me this afternoon too Justin, I wasn't on the forum that much but I was on twitter and chatting with Beau as well and I seen the storm coming, but before I knew it BAM it was on me... i'm sure Beau was scared out of his mind for a few minutes when he seen me log off like that when the power was cut... thankfully i could tweet on my smartphone and if I had remembered my MSN password I would have gone back to him on IM... no damage, our neighbor behind us had a dead limb hit his barn roof and land on their kids outdoor toys... kinda scary for a few around here today.. but NOTHING like what JoMo is dealing with in Joplin.

Archived