• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
Analogs with no 90 degree temps in April or May

ArtRosen

True, a heat wave is better compared to a cold wave, not a snow storm lol. I don't know what the summer equivalent to a snowstorm would be.....

With that much lead time you might as well compare the snowstorm to a hurricane.

With that much lead time you might as well compare the snowstorm to a hurricane.

I was thinking that too.... except those are usually in the fall lol. How much lead time was he talking about? Could we compare them to a severe weather outbreak?

While true, a pattern favorable for a heat wave is more likely to actually bring a heat wave than a pattern favorable for a big snowstorm is likely to bring a big snowstorm.

I was only speaking of temperature, not sure how you get that I was speaking of snow storms except that you were somehow trying to make it seem like I was so you could get some funny responses. This is a temperature thread, and there is no bettter skill at predicting warm temps over cold temps in the models or humans as far as I know.

9 days is an eternity in the weather world for any type of forecasting.

I was only speaking of temperature, not sure how you get that I was speaking of snow storms except that you were somehow trying to make it seem like I was so you could get some funny responses. This is a temperature thread, and there is no bettter skill at predicting warm temps over cold temps in the models or humans as far as I know.

9 days is an eternity in the weather world for any type of forecasting.

You imply something which is not the case. I'm pointing out that the models are much better at patterns than individual events, so saying that its "day 9" doesn't mean progged heat should be dismissed in the same vein as if they were showing a snowstorm.

You imply something which is not the case. I'm pointing out that the models are much better at patterns than individual events, so saying that its "day 9" doesn't mean progged heat should be dismissed in the same vein as if they were showing a snowstorm.

I think you are misunderstanding my summer winter comparison. Im saying that if we are to view 9 day temp or pattern forecasts with skepticism in the winter then we need to do the same in the summer. This would not be the first time this spring the models started to pump the heat in our area only to be trumped by low clouds or cutoff lows.

I think you are misunderstanding my summer winter comparison. Im saying that if we are to view 9 day temp or pattern forecasts with skepticism in the winter then we need to do the same in the summer. This would not be the first time this spring the models started to pump the heat in our area only to be trumped by low clouds or cutoff lows.

I wonder how model verification changes with the seasons. It would seem that they do better in summer than winter due to fewer storms and complex frontal and phasing situations......

yikes.png

My goodness, thats quite anomalous

it's five degrees colder than the next coldest Spring Max...So far 2011's Spring max in the city is 83...The last time it was this low (if it stands up) was in 1997...

it's five degrees colder than the next coldest Spring Max...So far 2011's Spring max in the city is 83...The last time it was this low (if it stands up) was in 1997...

Today's max was 84. Likely to be warmer in the next week at least once.

Archived