• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
H5 pattern similarities

Alpha5

The patterns are vaguely similar but there are a several problems here. First of all, the pattern prior to the Feb 2006 event featured a PNA which was roaring at just the right time. Look at the ridge on the west coast of the CONUS in 2006 compared to the current prog. We actually have a huge trough ready to crash into the west coast this time around. Secondly, the upper level low over the northeast is hundreds of miles furhter south on the GFS...over New England as opposed to Eastern Canada (and eventually the classic 50/50 position on Feb 11-12). Finally, the shortwave that was responsible for Feb 12 2006 was robust and strong even upon it's entrance to the CONUS as it came over the top of the PNA ridge. As forecasted right now, the shortwave we're watching is extremely weak in comparison. The general idea of the upper level flow is there, but these are pretty dramatic differences and I don't think the result will be anything near the same.

The patterns are vaguely similar but there are a several problems here. First of all, the pattern prior to the Feb 2006 event featured a PNA which was roaring at just the right time. Look at the ridge on the west coast of the CONUS in 2006 compared to the current prog. We actually have a huge trough ready to crash into the west coast this time around. Secondly, the upper level low over the northeast is hundreds of miles furhter south on the GFS...over New England as opposed to Eastern Canada (and eventually the classic 50/50 position on Feb 11-12). Finally, the shortwave that was responsible for Feb 12 2006 was robust and strong even upon it's entrance to the CONUS as it came over the top of the PNA ridge. As forecasted right now, the shortwave we're watching is extremely weak in comparison. The general idea of the upper level flow is there, but these are pretty dramatic differences and I don't think the result will be anything near the same.

Yeah, Im not advocating for another 06 storm rather just pointing out that will a little tweaking of the NAO and consequently ULL over the NE, we could have an ok threat. Again, not advocating a redo of 06

Yeah, Im not advocating for another 06 storm rather just pointing out that will a little tweaking of the NAO and consequently ULL over the NE, we could have an ok threat. Again, not advocating a redo of 06

Understood, I wasn't trying to imply that you were. Just pointing out the differences, as you pointed out the similarities.

Feb 06 was almost purely PNA driven and the timing with that shortwave and the transient blocking was perfect. As you can see, once the storm left, the pna broke down, the blocking was gone and the east went through a substantial warm up only a few days after that event.

Right now it's mostly about the blocking, where and how it sets up will determine if we get anything.

Yeah, this thread was actually a good example of why this storm on Dec. 5th isn't going to happen with the way the model setup is.

Just something I found, and it goes to show the potential this pattern has.

Take a look at the H5 setup for the US on Feb 10, 06 (a few days before NYC got buried with 26.9")

post-519-0-49704800-1291160080.gif

Now take a look at what the latest GFS is showing

post-519-0-85676300-1291160114.jpg

Great example. Another situation where the models didn't catch onto the storm until like 2 days before it happened.

Still no dice. The confluence is ridiculously far south compared to Feb 2006 and the PNA ridge just doesn't exist.

You've got to be kidding me, right? The PNA ridge is enormous on the CMC. You misread that little dip in the pressure gradients as a mini-trouph. If you follow the outside pressure gradient, you see how enormous that ridge is- exactly like 06'.

You've got to be kidding me, right? The PNA ridge is enormous on the CMC. You misread that little dip in the pressure gradients as a mini-trouph. If you follow the outside pressure gradient, you see how enormous that ridge is- exactly like 06'.

That is not a classic PNA ridge by any means.

http://www.meteo.psu...122.php#picture

THIS is a classic PNA ridge.

Here's your imagery if you want a visual.

2006 (Follow the 570 contour all the way into British Columbia)

http://www.meteo.psu...2006/021100.png

Sorry, but it's just not even close.

Thats beautiful Snowman.gif

Too bad we dont have the PNA on our side, best we can hope for is the displacement of the stupid NAO so the ULL isnt pinned down over the NE

That energy diving down over the PNA ridge was absolutely insane!

Yep, that's your storm system, the comparisons to this upcoming event pretty much end with the fact that there's a vortex in Eastern Canada and a semblance of a ridge out west. Here's a few hours later for old times sake...just a sick upper level set up.

http://www.meteo.psu.edu/~gadomski/NARR/2006/021112.png

Thats beautiful Snowman.gif

Crazy things can happen when you have a polar vortex in that position over Southeast Canada. The one being forecast by most guidance right now is just too far south for anything of importance to get up to this latitude. It's a good start, though, hopefully we can trend in the right direction.

Yep, that's your storm system, the comparisons to this upcoming event pretty much end with the fact that there's a vortex in Eastern Canada and a semblance of a ridge out west. Here's a few hours later for old times sake...just a sick upper level set up.

http://www.meteo.psu...2006/021112.png

Yep, agreed. Unrelated, but another favorite of mine is 1/22/05.. Different set up entirely, but a classic miller B bombing into such a cold air mass

http://www.meteo.psu.edu/~gadomski/NARR/2005/012300.png

Would give anything to see this unfold again.

Yep, agreed. Unrelated, but another favorite of mine is 1/22/05.. Different set up entirely, but a classic miller B bombing into such a cold air mass

http://www.meteo.psu.edu/~gadomski/NARR/2005/012300.png

Would give anything to see this unfold again.

Touche...but I'll raise you to Feb 2003. Probably won't ever see this again in our lifetime, and that's something I don't like to say. But this setup was just absolutely ridiculous in every sense of the word.

http://www.meteo.psu.edu/~gadomski/NARR/2003/021618.png

Touche...but I'll raise you to Feb 2003. Probably won't ever see this again in our lifetime, and that's something I don't like to say. But this setup was just absolutely ridiculous in every sense of the word.

http://www.meteo.psu...2003/021618.png

Looking at these past setups is making me get antsy with the current pattern, but it does prove that there are many different setups that can generate a truly memorable storm. The one thing these examples all have in common (as you have already pointed out) is that the confluence is way north of what the models are currently depicting for the upcoming period.

Looking at these past setups is making me get antsy with the current pattern, but it does prove that there are many different setups that can generate a truly memorable storm. The one thing these examples all have in common (as you have already pointed out) is that the confluence is way north of what the models are currently depicting for the upcoming period.

Check the one I just posted above....

Archived