joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
2010-2011 Philly area Seasonal Snowfall map

famartin

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ray a question for you. did you hand plot these or use a Geographic Information System (GIS) software? If you used the latter, what program was it?

If by "hand" you mean "manually" then yes. It was all on the computer, but no GIS software was used. I've only done a little bit of GIS stuff for work and none outside of work.

My northern NJ is quite a bit snowier than your map, but our maps last year agreed quite well. I had less data this year, so I may have to revise my northern NJ area.

Our jackpot zone definitely agrees though. My map obviously focuses more detail on southern New England and NNJ is just a border on my map, but that is quite a difference that I wouldn't feel good with if its that wrong.

20102011snesnowfall.png

Are the numbers listed on yours all the totals that were available to you? If so, you may wish to pluck some of the ones on my map for yours.

My northern NJ is quite a bit snowier than your map, but our maps last year agreed quite well. I had less data this year, so I may have to revise my northern NJ area.

Our jackpot zone definitely agrees though. My map obviously focuses more detail on southern New England and NNJ is just a border on my map, but that is quite a difference that I wouldn't feel good with if its that wrong.

20102011snesnowfall.png

Are the numbers listed on yours all the totals that were available to you? If so, you may wish to pluck some of the ones on my map for yours.

Yes...though I dismissed some other totals that looked low based on surrounding reports. COOPs in NNJ I have found to be notoriously poor and on the low end.

How much QC did you do on those totals in Passaic county and Sussex county? Those seem low to me, but I will admit I didn't dig too deeply.

Yes...though I dismissed some other totals that looked low based on surrounding reports. COOPs in NNJ I have found to be notoriously poor and on the low end.

How much QC did you do on those totals in Passaic county and Sussex county? Those seem low to me, but I will admit I didn't dig too deeply.

The Sussex ones look good. They missed out on both big storms up there (12/26 and 1/26).

The northern Passaic may be a bit low, but I only included ones who at least *appeared* to measure all the events. West Milford is probably about right.

The Sussex ones look good. They missed out on both big storms up there (12/26 and 1/26).

The northern Passaic may be a bit low, but I only included ones who at least *appeared* to measure all the events. West Milford is probably about right.

How much did they benefit in the 2/23 fluff clipper up there though (like 5-8"?) and how much did they benefit from latitude in the Feb 1-2 storm? What about 1/18?

I think your totals might be closer to reality, but I am still skeptical they only got 50". I may have to extend my <60" contour well up into Sussex county instead of keeping it south.

How much did they benefit in the 2/23 fluff clipper up there though (like 5-8"?) and how much did they benefit from latitude in the Feb 1-2 storm? What about 1/18?

I think your totals might be closer to reality, but I am still skeptical they only got 50". I may have to extend my <60" contour well up into Sussex county instead of keeping it south.

There were only 3 stations from Sussex that I felt were complete, all were CoCoRaHS:

Hardyston Twp 3.2 SE (NJ-SS-7)

Wantage Twp 1.5 SE (NJ-SS-20)

Andover Twp 1.7 W (NJ-SS-1)

NJ-SS-7 appeared extremely reliable. They had 7.5" on 2/21. Only 2.1" on 2/1-2. Also only 2.1" on 1/18.

NJ-SS-20 also appeared extremely reliable. They also had 7.5" on 2/21. 3.2" on 2/1-2. Only 2.0" on 1/18.

NJ-SS-1 is perhaps a little less reliable. They had 6.9" on 2/21, 0.9" on 2/1-2 and 2.1" on 1/18.

There were only 3 stations from Sussex that I felt were complete, all were CoCoRaHS:

Hardyston Twp 3.2 SE (NJ-SS-7)

Wantage Twp 1.5 SE (NJ-SS-20)

Andover Twp 1.7 W (NJ-SS-1)

NJ-SS-7 appeared extremely reliable. They had 7.5" on 2/21. Only 2.1" on 2/1-2. Also only 2.1" on 1/18.

NJ-SS-20 also appeared extremely reliable. They also had 7.5" on 2/21. 3.2" on 2/1-2. Only 2.0" on 1/18.

NJ-SS-1 is perhaps a little less reliable. They had 6.9" on 2/21, 0.9" on 2/1-2 and 2.1" on 1/18.

So would you be confident in saying Passaic county had less than 60 inches of snow last year?

I'll revise my map if we can say that. I know you were in the same boat as I was in 2009-2010 in being skeptical of those obscene >90" reports out of that region...but this year I am higher than you in that area. But I think since you scrutinize that area more, then perhaps your totals might be more accurate. The 67" total just south of them made me skeptical of under 60" there since they could gain back snow in elevation and latitude storms, but as we all know, there were some very sharp cutoffs in the Boxing day storm and also on 1/26-27. 1/12 was also a better to the east, though the cutoff in that region wasn't extreme...the big cuttoff was just E of NYC on W LI.

So would you be confident in saying Passaic county had less than 60 inches of snow last year?

I'll revise my map if we can say that. I know you were in the same boat as I was in 2009-2010 in being skeptical of those obscene >90" reports out of that region...but this year I am higher than you in that area. But I think since you scrutinize that area more, then perhaps your totals might be more accurate. The 67" total just south of them made me skeptical of under 60" there since they could gain back snow in elevation and latitude storms, but as we all know, there were some very sharp cutoffs in the Boxing day storm and also on 1/26-27. 1/12 was also a better to the east, though the cutoff in that region wasn't extreme...the big cuttoff was just E of NYC on W LI.

West Milford was a CoCoRaHS site also:

West Milford Twp 3.2 NE (NJ-PS-16)

50.3"

Here were their daily totals:

12/14 - 0.3"

12/27 - 11.0"

1/8 - 4.5"

1/12 - 7.3"

1/18 - 2.5"

1/21 - 3.7"

1/27 - 6.3"

2/1 - 1.0"

2/2 - 3.0"

2/21 - 7.5"

3/23 - 0.3"

3/24 - 2.9"

Total - 50.3"

They appear a little less reliable than the two ones in Sussex that I considered extremely reliable, but I don't think they missed 10". So, yes, I'm confident that northwestern Passaic had less than 60". I don't have Ringwood data in front of me, that's a COOP and my home PC is being retarded lately (won't open PDFs).

West Milford was a CoCoRaHS site also:

West Milford Twp 3.2 NE (NJ-PS-16)

50.3"

Here were their daily totals:

12/14 - 0.3"

12/27 - 11.0"

1/8 - 4.5"

1/12 - 7.3"

1/18 - 2.5"

1/21 - 3.7"

1/27 - 6.3"

2/1 - 1.0"

2/2 - 3.0"

2/21 - 7.5"

3/23 - 0.3"

3/24 - 2.9"

Total - 50.3"

They appear a little less reliable than the two ones in Sussex that I considered extremely reliable, but I don't think they missed 10". So, yes, I'm confident that northwestern Passaic had less than 60". I don't have Ringwood data in front of me, that's a COOP and my home PC is being retarded lately (won't open PDFs).

This sounds reasonably convincing to me...but I'll try and pull up the Ridgwood coop data provided its actually reliable. I'm still skeptical of coops under measuring in transition events like 1/18 and such. They often measure way too late after the snow has been compacted by other ptypes. Though I agree this doesn't account for a 10" difference. So I think you are probably correct that the majority of Passaic county had less than 60" this past winter.

This sounds reasonably convincing to me...but I'll try and pull up the Ridgwood coop data provided its actually reliable. I'm still skeptical of coops under measuring in transition events like 1/18 and such. They often measure way too late after the snow has been compacted by other ptypes. Though I agree this doesn't account for a 10" difference. So I think you are probably correct that the majority of Passaic county had less than 60" this past winter.

Just northwestern Passaic. Southeastern Passaic definitely had 60+.

Was able to look and Ringwood is missing the 2/21 storm. They appear to have most everything else. So they could be ~10" low. I'm surprised I let that through. For shame.

Archived