CHSVol
    Newest Member
    CHSVol
Overnight thunderstorm potential into Tuesday morning

IsentropicLift

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

With a potent cold front moving through the region overnight into Tuesday morning, the stage will be set for showers and possibly our first legit shot at some severe weather...discuss. :lightning:

Highly doubtful that there will be severe weather in our area given the lack of atmospheric instability. Thunderstorms are certainly a possibility overnight but the frontal timing is extremely poor (6-12z) for convection.

With a potent cold front moving through the region overnight into Tuesday morning, the stage will be set for showers and possibly our first legit shot at some severe weather...discuss. :lightning:

the thunderstorms we saw with the snowfall this winter will be more impressive than anything you see overnight. This is a non-event.

Hard to believe that line wouldn't be packing a good punch as it reached our western zones.

Not really, the severe weather threat is rather low overnight as most models show no elevated instability. The severe weather threat near the cold front is actually pretty low in our area, too, with poor frontal timing. 925mb winds are pretty impressive with a strengthening low level jet, but the low level inversion that develops overnight should put a lid on the damaging wind potential. The boundary layer rooted convection should be mostly isolated to areas to our south and west, and even there it should be relatively low topped and not widespread.

From Mt. Holly AFD

SHORT RANGE MODELS CONTINUE TO INDICATE A RIBBON OF INSTABILITY

RUNNING 1 TO 3 HOURS AHEAD THE SURFACE COLD FRONT LATE TONIGHT AND

TUESDAY MORNING. THIS INSTABILITY COULD BE ENOUGH TO ALLOW A

SCATTERED TO BROKEN LINE OF BOUNDARY LAYERED ROOTED CONVECTION TO

FORM. AT THIS DISTANCE...IT WOULD APPEAR THAT THE CONVECTIVE LINE

WOULD BE ONGOING SOUTHWEST OF THE AREA...WHERE INSTABILITY WILL BE

GREATER. HOWEVER...THIS LOOKS LIKE A HIGH SHEAR/LOW INSTABILITY TYPE

OF CONVECTIVE EVENT...AS THE CONVECTION DEVELOPS NORTHEAST ON THE

INSTABILITY RIBBON BETWEEN 0900 UTC AND 1500 UTC TUESDAY.

THE CONVECTION ITSELF SHOULD BE FAIRLY COMPACT...WITH LOW TOPS AND

POTENTIALLY NOT MUCH IN THE WAY OF LIGHTNING...AS TOPS MAY NOT REACH

MINUS 20 CELSIUS...ALLOWING FOR CHARGE SEPARATION TO BEGIN. AS

SUCH...THE FORCED CONVECTIVE LINE MAY HAVE LITTLE LIGHTNING.

HOWEVER...THE CONVECTION WOULD BE ABLE TO ACCESS THE STRONG LOW TO

MID LEVEL WINDS (BULK SHEAR IN EXCESS OF 80 KNOTS IS FORECAST IN THE

TIMEFRAME OUTLINED ABOVE)...AND A LINE OF STRONG TO DAMAGING WINDS

IS POSSIBLE WITH ANY CONVECTION THAT DEVELOPS.

From Mt. Holly AFD

AT THIS DISTANCE...IT WOULD APPEAR THAT THE CONVECTIVE LINE

WOULD BE ONGOING SOUTHWEST OF THE AREA...WHERE INSTABILITY WILL BE

GREATER.

They specifically state the best chance is southwest of their area, and their CWA is already southwest of our area. I think you are reaching, the parameters are not there for severe weather if you ask me...not buying it.

They specifically state the best chance is southwest of their area, and their CWA is already southwest of our area. I think you are reaching, the parameters are not there for severe weather if you ask me...not buying it.

they mentioned that convection would fire NE ahead of the cold front. We shall see what happens. Definitly not a widespread severe event but strong gusty winds can't be ruled out.

they mentioned that convection would fire NE ahead of the cold front. We shall see what happens. Definitly not a widespread severe event but strong gusty winds can't be ruled out.

strong gusty winds can't be ruled out walking behind an old lady either.

Fact of the matter is the chances of anything being left over by the time it actually reaches our forecast area, not one to the SW are VERY minimal, like earthlight says.

Even if there are some winds (also unlikely with the inversion) they won't be severe.

No jeb-walks in the thunder?

Storms are petering out over Central PA...it's nighttime, instability is limited, and light east winds are dominating near the coast, allowing for the marine layer to enter. I think we'll probably see .1-.2" rain with the frontal passage from that line of showers to our west, no big deal.

Storms are petering out over Central PA...it's nighttime, instability is limited, and light east winds are dominating near the coast, allowing for the marine layer to enter. I think we'll probably see .1-.2" rain with the frontal passage from that line of showers to our west, no big deal.

Agree, terrible timing for T-storm lovers (12z FROPA).

What a difference an hour can make on radar. At about 6:30 when I woke up that line was very well organized and looked like it was going to pack quite the punch. Now it's been reduced to a few scattered showers. Nice job by most of the models picking up on that. Still wouldn't call this a non-event. Lightning made it about 30 miles west of the city and the fact that almost all of NJ was under a watch makes the severe threat we had legit, even though for the most part it didn't verify.

I know Atlanta was getting on my nerves last night via Twitter, I heard it was terrible though.

Looking at the radar last night I didn't think we'd have a remote chance but it got gusty with moderate rain.

Interesting how this line of thunderstorms storms stretched like 700-900 miles, I never really saw that before. Like a mega squall line.

Archived