• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
December 11,1992 Nor'easter Video From Breezy Point,NY

bluewave

This is the best video of the December 11,1992 Nor'easter posted on YouTube so far from

around this area.These were exactly the same coastal flooding conditions that I experienced

here in Long Beach,NY.I am really glad to see that this video was finally posted online

since I didn't have a camcorder back then to record what I saw that morning.

This is the best video of the December 11,1992 Nor'easter posted on YouTube so far from

around this area.These were exactly the same coastal flooding conditions that I experienced

here in Long Beach,NY.I am really glad to see that this video was finally posted online

Good vids of legit severe coastal flooding. I would have loved to be in LB for that storm, I was growing up in Wantagh (where there was tons of flooding) at the time. My land lords down here in LB claim our property didn't flood during that storm. Based on were the flooding got to during the Noreaster last March I do not know if I believe them.

The thing that stuck with me about that storm was the duration over many high tide cycles, there was still residual flooding days after the storm.

Good vids of legit severe coastal flooding. I would have loved to be in LB for that storm, I was growing up in Wantagh (where there was tons of flooding) at the time. My land lords down here in LB claim our property didn't flood during that storm. Based on were the flooding got to during the Noreaster last March I do not know if I believe them.

The thing that stuck with me about that storm was the duration over many high tide cycles, there was still residual flooding days after the storm.

The whole length of the beach was underwater and the waves were rolling under the boardwalk and making it up along Shore Road and Broadway in the street.

There was very heavy flooding throughout the West End,Canals,and right around the hospital.The ocean surged past the Lido Towers and flooded

Lido Blvd near the corner of Blackheath.Pacific Blvd near the beach was flooded and the water flowed down south side of Broadway to near the Executive

Towers.All three bridges off the island were closed due to to flooding on the roads right near the bridges.

The whole length of the beach was underwater and the waves were rolling under the boardwalk and making it up along Shore Road and Broadway in the street.

There was very heavy flooding throughout the West End,Canals,and right around the hospital.The ocean surged past the Lido Towers and flooded

Lido Blvd near the corner of Blackheath.Pacific Blvd near the beach was flooded and the water flowed down south side of Broadway to near the Executive

Towers.All three bridges off the island were closed due to to flooding on the roads right near the bridges.

Took a while to wrap my head around all that. I am on the bay side between Neptune and Franklin, last March the flooding was only right near the bay. I think they increased the height of the bulkheads in the canals recently which will help in future storms.

Took a while to wrap my head around all that. I am on the bay side between Neptune and Franklin, last March the flooding was only right near the bay. I think they increased the height of the bulkheads in the canals recently which will help in future storms.

I can remember the flooding coming up in the street right along side Associated from the canals back in 92.

The lowest area between Neptune and Franklin is closest to the bay.92 was one of the rare times that it came so far up.

When flooding begins right near the bay,you will first notice the water coming up from the storm drains in the street

which drain into the bay.Franklin right where it meets Bay Drive is a low spot that floods easily.

I have a house on the water out on the bay and there was five different high tides on the walls inside

All the docks in atlantic beach were destroyed..long beach too. For me that was the worst storm,damage and

flooding wise

I have some pics i will scan when i can find them there pretty cool

Great videos.Are they yours??

im gonna add these vids to my page on the storm

It's not my video but it's the only video that I have seen so far which shows what the coastal flooding was like here on the South Shore.

I'm really glad to see that the person who created the video uploaded it to You Tube back in February.

Very similar coastal flooding in Broad Channel, that video from Breezy is actually from homes faces Jamaica Bay and not the atlantic ocean. Looks like the water was being driven into the bay for multiple high tide cycles and not draining back out. Thats how we get severe coastal flooding.

How high were the winds there? I know they were sustained over like 3 days but at its peak was it equal to March 2010?

The highest wind report that I can remember was a 93 mph gust at the old Ambrose Tower just offshore.

Good grief lol. I always wondered why the JFK wind reports were so low. No way they didn't have hurricane force gusts!

one of the fiercest nor'easters this century hit New York City and New England. Powerful winds exceeding hurricane force in many places, resulting in record high tides. Ambrose Light station just southeast of New York City recorded sustained winds of 80 mph and gust to 93 mph. Wildwood Crest, NJ reported winds to 90 mph and New Holland, PA measured 82 mph gusts. LaGuardia, NY was closed due to flooding. Flooding at a Con Edison station shut down the entire subway system for more than 3 hours. Heavy snows fell inland with Worcester, MA 32.1 inches setting a new single storm record. Stamford, NY had 37 inches, Berne, NY 34 inches, Otis, MA 33 inches, Hopkinton, MA 28 inches, Union, CT 27 inches and Jerimoth, Hill, RI 24 inches. Boston, MA recorded frequent gusts over 60 mph with a peak gust to 78 mph. The snow was very wet near the coast. Woonsocket, RI recorded 7.14 inches of liquid water content in 20 inches of snow. Major coastal flooding and damage occurred as tides were pushed 3 to 4 feet above normal

1992-12-11-09-MET-3-IR_op_600x600.jpg

1992-12-11-18-MET-3-IR_op_600x600.jpg

1992-12-12-03-MET-3-IR_op_600x600.jpg

1992-12-12-12-MET-3-IR_op_600x600.jpg

Here along the south shore of Brooklyn, the water came up over Sheepshead Bay and flooded parts of Emmons Ave. Also saw the ocean come up several blocks inland (Ocean Pky had about 8-12" of water all the way north to Neptune Av) Never saw that ever before or since.

I live on the south shore of Nassau County...the winds ripped a lot of the siding and many screens off my house...caused a considerable amount of roof damage as well...that was in the 3 of storm intensity that I have ever seen (Gloria and March 2010 being the other 2)

Archived