• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
NIO Tropical Action 2011

Invest 93B is up to T1.5 and looking better organized this morning. Shear is low, SSTs are warm and divergence aloft is strong. It's a monsoon low, so it will take time to organize, but there is a decent chance of development if it can stay south of 12N.

Use this thread to discuss tropical cyclone development in the Arabian Sea and Bay of Bengal.

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Very rare to get a TC in the NIO in March (climo says 0). April sees about 0.2 TCs in the NIO on an annual basis.

Steve

Thanks for the climo numbers, Steve. It's looking less likely this morning, due to interaction with the Malay Peninsula. Frankly, I was surprised when I started looking at this potential. The WPAC monsoon trough is extending in the BoB, which has to be a fairly rare event.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Everything still looks like all systems go in the Arabian Sea. Some of the Euro ensemble members are going nuts with this thing.

For once in the NIO, the track forecast looks straightforward. North to start over the weekend, then turning westward and heading towards Oman next weekend.

Looking at the records for the Arabian Sea, I'm surprised how few 65-kt landfalls there have been in the last 20 yrs: just Phet 2010 in Oman, Gonu 2007 in Oman (Cat 2), an apparent Cat 4 near the India/Pakistan border in 1999, and some Cat 1 in India in 1996.

Re: Phet, I'm seeing conflicting info Re: the landfall intensity in Oman, but it was most certainly a 'cane.

Looking at the records for the Arabian Sea, I'm surprised how few 65-kt landfalls there have been in the last 20 yrs: just Phet 2010 in Oman, Gonu 2007 in Oman (Cat 2), an apparent Cat 4 near the India/Pakistan border in 1999, and some Cat 1 in India in 1996.

Re: Phet, I'm seeing conflicting info Re: the landfall intensity in Oman, but it was most certainly a 'cane.

Totally forgot about Phet last year. This thing should do something similar - explode over the extremely warm Arabian Sea waters, then weaken rapidly once it starts ingesting desert air from the Arabian Peninsula.

Archived