Most Online
    12bet1 net
    Newest Member
    12bet1 net
NIO Tropical Action 2011

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It looks like the easterly shear is already on the increase given the flattening of the outflow on the eastern quadrant. Given the amount of dry air starting to surround the system, I think the system is at peak intensity and slow weakening should commence.

Well, it got a little stronger over night-- now up to 80 kt-- and they now bring it ashore as a solid, 70-kt hurricane.

A friend shared these surface obs with me-- from two towns near the landfall point:

PUDUCHERRY (43331) REPORTED MSLP OF 991.7 HPA AND WIND 020/68 KNOTS AND CUDDALORE (43329) REPORTED LOWEST MSLP 997.6 HPA, WIND 340/62 KNOTS.

If those obs are legit and those are 10-min-average winds, then Thane was a bit stronger than the operationally assessed 65 kt (1-min). But I'm not sure I buy those wind obs, honestly. They seem rather robust, given the cyclone's so-so satellite and radar presentations. Also, these pressures don't make a whole lot of sense: the center crossed the coast near or just S of Cuddalore-- so Cuddalore should have had a lower pressure than Puducherry, which is a good 10 mi further N.

I'm trying to find out more Re: these readings (for my own benefit, since obviously no one else cares about this one-- not even the thread starter

:().

To continue this lonely conversation with myself...

It looks like the JTWC might have underestimated the cyclone a bit. The first video (from 28storms) shows the IR and radar imagery up to landfall, and they seem to suggest at least a solid mid-range Cat 1-- perhaps stronger. And for what it's worth, India's IMD apparently estimated it much stronger-- at 75 kt (10-min).

The second video is a newscast showing the moderate damage caused by the cyclone:

A friend shared these surface obs with me-- from two towns near the landfall point:

PUDUCHERRY (43331) REPORTED MSLP OF 991.7 HPA AND WIND 020/68 KNOTS AND CUDDALORE (43329) REPORTED LOWEST MSLP 997.6 HPA, WIND 340/62 KNOTS.

If those obs are legit and those are 10-min-average winds, then Thane was a bit stronger than the operationally assessed 65 kt (1-min). But I'm not sure I buy those wind obs, honestly. They seem rather robust, given the cyclone's so-so satellite and radar presentations. Also, these pressures don't make a whole lot of sense: the center crossed the coast near or just S of Cuddalore-- so Cuddalore should have had a lower pressure than Puducherry, which is a good 10 mi further N.

I'm trying to find out more Re: these readings (for my own benefit, since obviously no one else cares about this one-- not even the thread starter

:().

Beats Irene with a 991mb pressure

Archived