• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
April Analogs Following A Cold Last Week of March

bluewave

not every April has heat like we saw last year and the year before...usually it's a battle between warm and cold with a morning or two near freezing in the city...When there was a late March cold spell in past years most of them had at least a few days of winter in April...many had a cold start and a warmer second half...My guess for the monthly maximum and minimum for April 2011 in NYC is 85/31...

not every April has heat like we saw last year and the year before...usually it's a battle between warm and cold with a morning or two near freezing in the city...When there was a late March cold spell in past years most of them had at least a few days of winter in April...many had a cold start and a warmer second half...My guess for the monthly maximum and minimum for April 2011 in NYC is 85/31...

Accumulating snow in April is actually much more common than 90 degree heat.

12 years saw temperatures in the 90's while 10 years had snowstorms 4" or more...

Sure Unc, but I was referring to 1" or more. That kind of shocks me because I didnt know NYC had that many 4" snowstorms-- I guess it's because of their long historical record. You could basically equate a 90 degree day in April to a 4" snowstorm.

JB is going with a 3-6" snowstorm for this area...It will probably be a very wet snow if it materializes...

Unc, do you recall what the forecasts for our area were just prior to April 97?

I know prior to April 82, 96 and 03 it was for 6-12" of snow for each of them-- 4/82 verified, 4/96 verified but only for Long Island, 4/03 was high and we ended up with 4-8" region wide (6-8" here.)

Unc, do you recall what the forecasts for our area were just prior to April 97?

I know prior to April 82, 96 and 03 it was for 6-12" of snow for each of them-- 4/82 verified, 4/96 verified but only for Long Island, 4/03 was high and we ended up with 4-8" region wide (6-8" here.)

I don't remember the forecast...I just moved from Brooklyn and was settling in my new house when the basement flooded from ground water during the storm...We got maybe 2" of wet snow and everything in my basement was ruined...

for what its worth the 18z gfs continues to imply a warmer pattern into to the second week of April with trough digging down in the west and heights building into the east. Perhaps we should start a thread regarding any pattern change/warmup.

NYC matched the analog years with four lows in the 20's for March 24-31.

Here's the April temperature departure list for the analog years with the high temperature for the month:

1915 +1.9... 92

1919 -2.5... 73

1926 -3.9... 82

1937 -2.9... 72

1947 -2.0.. 79

1955 +1.0.. 84

1959 +0.9... 83

1966 -2.8... 73

1972 -2.4.. .86

1975 -4.6....74

Archived