• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
3/24 HECS GFS and ensembles 3/17 00Z run

Mikehobbyst

What needs to happen and does the pattern have strong support for the 12-18 inch snowstorm for NYC ??? Can this be as potent as the Boxing Day storm ? Looks like 28-32 degrees for the storm and will likely have 2-3 days of highs in the 20's following the storm. It would have to trend into the 30-40's soon after with solar strength on the airmass regardless. We probably will get true heat in here about 3-4 weeks later with all the cold Arctic dumped out of SE Canada between 3/22 and 4/10 on the Northeast. If Canada purges all of the cold it will increase the chance for a heat period in later April and portions of May away from the water. If the cold airmass stays trapped in SE Canada we will pay with drizzle and backdoors through May 2011. I'd rather it dumps on the NE now for 2 weeks and gets used up and then we start very warm weather around Tax Day. Also the preview right now is nice, before the real thing about a month from now. I would like to see the ECMWF gain strong support for this in the next three days. Pacific is getting there with -EPO, but the Atlantic needs to look a bit better with a true -NAO western block, but not impossible. 4/82 Redux ????????

What needs to happen and does the pattern have strong support for the 12-18 inch snowstorm for NYC ??? Can this be as potent as the Boxing Day storm ? Looks like 28-32 degrees for the storm and will likely have 2-3 days of highs in the 20's following the storm. It would have to trend into the 30-40's soon after with solar strength on the airmass regardless. We probably will get true heat in here about 3-4 weeks later with all the cold Arctic dumped out of SE Canada between 3/22 and 4/10 on the Northeast. If Canada purges all of the cold it will increase the chance for a heat period in later April and portions of May away from the water. If the cold airmass stays trapped in SE Canada we will pay with drizzle and backdoors through May 2011. I'd rather it dumps on the NE now for 2 weeks and gets used up and then we start very warm weather around Tax Day. Also the preview right now is nice, before the real thing about a month from now. I would like to see the ECMWF gain strong support for this in the next three days. Pacific is getting there with -EPO, but the Atlantic needs to look a bit better with a true -NAO western block, but not impossible. 4/82 Redux ????????

The ECMWF Shows a HECS ? The 0Z GFS shows a MECS -maybe some would consider it a HECS because its late in March = models have been showing the potential the last week or so for this period - It can happen - it has happened in the past especially in LaNina years - a wintry 2 - 4 days in late march or early april enveloped in between above normal conditions.....

The ECMWF Shows a HECS ? The 0Z GFS shows a MECS -maybe some would consider it a HECS because its late in March = models have been showing the potential the last week or so for this period - It can happen - it has happened in the past especially in LaNina years - a wintry 2 - 4 days in late march or early april enveloped in between above normal conditions.....

6Z GFS is still showing the storm BUT its hundreds of miles south of 0Z

http://raleighwx.americanwx.com/models/gfs/06zgfs850mbTSLPp06180.gif

and JB is advertising a snowstorm also centered around I -80

http://www.weatherbell.com/jb/

Interesting stuff from the HPC...

THE DEVELOPMENT OF THE NEW FOUNDLAND BLOCK AGREEMENT WILL HELP ANCHOR A VERY CHILLY HIGH PRES AREA OVER SE CENTRAL CANADA. A LATE SEASON COLD OUTBREAK MAY SPELL SOME WINTRY PRECIPITATION WED/THUDAYS 6-7 AS A POTENT WAVE ROLLS UP THE OHIO VALLEY...THEN REDEVELOPS OFF THE MID ATLANTIC COAST.

http://www.hpc.ncep.noaa.gov/discussions/pmdepd.html

There are similarities next week to the April 7, 2003 storm cold high pressure just arriving in south east canada of course and similar track and timing of low pressure near the ohio valley redeveloping to the south.and east...also above normal days before and several days after

http://www.njfreeway...urfaceMaps.html

That was one of my favorite storms with the high snowfall rates during the daytime. I've always wondered what that storm would have done had it occurred a few months earlier.

Archived