• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
18 years ago 1993 superstorm!

One of my fav winter storms of all time. The wind was out of this world...prob the windiest storm of my life. And the snow...we didnt have the crazy amts they had in some other parts of the country, but 2 feet isnt too shabby either! I was shorter back then (only 10 yrs old) but I remember the snow being over my chest after that storm. I think it was a combo of other snowfalls as well that caused that, and possibly some drifting. It was one of maybe two old time true blizzards I have ever seen

The height maps are some sort of freak show. It is definitely a classic and is, imo, the greatest phase of all time owing to both the size of the southern stream anomaly, the connection to the PV, the out of this world jet coupling that developed after phasing, and the location of the southern stream--in the Gulf of Mexico! Positive feedback moist cyclogenesis FTW.

That storm was the most painful ever for me as my southern MD location (at that time) saw just a few inches followed by heavy rain. I remember seeing footage of blizzard conditions in Alabama while the rain was pouring outside. That storm was the final straw for me living in lower southern MD and being a snowlover. I soon re-located to the far NW suburbs where I've been since.

The height maps are some sort of freak show. It is definitely a classic and is, imo, the greatest phase of all time owing to both the size of the southern stream anomaly, the connection to the PV, the out of this world jet coupling that developed after phasing, and the location of the southern stream--in the Gulf of Mexico! Positive feedback moist cyclogenesis FTW.

those height maps really are just wow.

My anecdote about the storm is that I'm in an annual sports pool that usually convenes the evening after NCAA Basketball Selection Sunday. Due to poor driving conditions in the DC region on Monday, March 15, 1993, however, we postponed our pool until Thursday, March 18 -- the day the NCAA basketball tournament commenced in 1993. The venue that year was a sport bar in Washington, and one of the early picks was #2 seeded Arizona. As we continued drafting, the first round Arizona-Santa Clara game came on the TV. Just as were wrapping things up, Arizona's All American Damon Stoudamire missed a desperation 3-point shot at the buzzer to hand #15-seeded Santa Clara one of the most shocking upset victories in NCAA tournament history. We turned to the guy who made the pick and said: "Better luck next year."

Archived