• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
March 10-11 Storm

:lmao:

storm generally went as expected......5-10 inches across the ottawa valley and 4-8 across montreal region.

funny thing is models indicated these types of ranges for days without budging....so one of the more straightforward call of the year.

Yup, pretty decent job by EC in their forecasts, after the debacle last time.

I must say, since I started following models etc., this is the first time I have seen a low track this way (the secondary)....never seen the 540 line take a crazy shape like this!

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

do you remember that storm at the end of april last year? EC has 30cm of accumulation in montreal.....now why on heck do i not remember that???:lmao:

You know I was looking at the climate data on the EC website a few months ago, and when I saw the snow accumulation for that storm in late April, I was like, "Huh!?" I honestly don't remember that one either.. LOL!

Cheers,

Scratch

Yup, pretty decent job by EC in their forecasts, after the debacle last time.

I must say, since I started following models etc., this is the first time I have seen a low track this way (the secondary)....never seen the 540 line take a crazy shape like this!

yes it is a bit of an odd track, but these types of unusual things can become more common in the spring.

have you gotten to looking at upper levels.....the 500mb heights yet, or are you just starting out in model watching?

if you look at yesterdays 18z GFS at 500mb maps in 6 hr increments through the first 36 hours, you can see how the height lines start bending back towards the west over our area, and hence the storm ends up taking this track and our area ends up in the warm sector. ......this is the scenario which caused this storm to do this.....its an extreme 'negative tilt' to the storm/trough orientation.

most troughs of low pressure are positive tilt at 500mb with height lines, and thus progressive and moving the standard west to east.

this one is the polar opposite.

not an easy explanation without graphics, but im not computer savvy that way.

You know I was looking at the climate data on the EC website a few months ago, and when I saw the snow accumulation for that storm in late April, I was like, "Huh!?" I honestly don't remember that one either.. LOL!

Cheers,

Scratch

somebody in northern VT was talking about the big storm at the end of april last season, thats why i went and looked.

very silly that EC would record that much snow when neither of us remember it. i dont even remember tracking it LOL.

all i remember is the grass was green and the flowers were out :lol:

yes it is a bit of an odd track, but these types of unusual things can become more common in the spring.

have you gotten to looking at upper levels.....the 500mb heights yet, or are you just starting out in model watching?

if you look at yesterdays 18z GFS at 500mb maps in 6 hr increments through the first 36 hours, you can see how the height lines start bending back towards the west over our area, and hence the storm ends up taking this track and our area ends up in the warm sector. ......this is the scenario which caused this storm to do this.....its an extreme 'negative tilt' to the storm/trough orientation.

most troughs of low pressure are positive tilt at 500mb and thus progressive and moving the standard west to east.

this one is the polar opposite.

I hate to admit I still primarily just look at models! But thanks very much indeed for that explanation...I will start looking more at the upper levels!

In an ironic way, it does sum up the winter for us haha....when we do get lots of snow, it is followed by lots of rain!

I tend to agree.. This storm is one of winters last hurrahs, unfortunately! I'm not a fan of the heat and humidity of summer, so come May I'll be counting down the days until November.. In the meantime I'll be hoping for 1 or 2 more snowstorms, before we call it a season..

Still light rain falling at the moment, but there are some flakes mixing in..

Cheers,

Scratch

Completely agree! Only good thing about summer is one can look forward to winter.

Last I checked, HM over at Accuweather was flipping out over a storm around the 20th. Perhaps that could be another potential snow storm.

I hate to admit I still primarily just look at models! But thanks very much indeed for that explanation...I will start looking more at the upper levels. So this is basically an unusual situation.

In a ironic way, it does sum up the winter for us haha....when we do get lots of snow, it is followed by lots of rain!

the 500mb maps are available at the GFS model site, you just have to click on those maps.

but dont feel bad.....i didnt start looking at those for several years, i used to just look at surface and precip maps..... basically until i discovered easternUSwx website a few years ago.....there are a lot of great people on these boards who post images with explanations .....and after about a year or so of seeing these, my curiosity was piqued, and i started following them myself. at first i only vaguely saw stuff, but the more storms you see, the more you understand. there is no obligation to do so of course. :lol:

somebody in northern VT was talking about the big storm at the end of april last season, thats why i went and looked.

very silly that EC would record that much snow when neither of us remember it. i dont even remember tracking it LOL.

all i remember is the grass was green and the flowers were out :lol:

I just went and looked at the hourly observations for that storm.. Started off as rain around 4 AM.. By 6 AM snow was mixing in, and by 10 AM it was all snow.. The lowest temperature recorded that day was 0.2 C.. Now why is it that I don't remember this storm at all? LOL!

Cheers,

Scratch

I'd guess Snowman.gifSnowman.gifSnowman.gifSnowman.gif, but with all the melting it is tough to say here in Queensbury.

Johnsburg got 8 Snowman.gifbefore it turned to rain late afternoon... I hear Riparius had even more.

Still quite the ice jam on the Hudson in North Creek, all but one house on Old River Road (east side of the river, North of 28N bridge) evacuated. Could be an exciting day downriver tomorrow with the added water from overnight rain and a bit of melting.

:snowman: :snowman: :snowman: :snowman: :snowman: gloppy inches today and the plowman really hammered the end of the driveway/ front of mailbox :arrowhead: Hoping nature will help out tomorrow as it would be backbreaking to shovel out...................

I am putting Wheaties in the tank of my truck if I have to plow any of this. Today way was low range and doing an Irish jig between the throttle and steering.

I don't think this is the last hurrah. I see negative NAO developing from around the 20th and it could get wild a few more times into early April. :snowman:

I tend to agree.. This storm is one of winters last hurrahs, unfortunately! I'm not a fan of the heat and humidity of summer, so come May I'll be counting down the days until November.. In the meantime I'll be hoping for 1 or 2 more snowstorms, before we call it a season..

Still light rain falling at the moment, but there are some flakes mixing in..

Cheers,

Scratch

Good call I imagine as we kept most of our snowpack and we didn't have nearly what you did. My yard probably dropped from 12" to 8" on average.

We lost very little. Wheres the pay window? LOL

Temps never made it up that high either. WHo would have guessed?

I don't think this is the last hurrah. I see negative NAO developing from around the 20th and it could get wild a few more times into early April. :snowman:

Hey Logan,

Oh I know that there's still potential for 1 more snowstorms, if everything falls into place.. Just like there's a chance that we don't see anything of a significant nature snow wise.. All I know is that I'm not ready to say goodbye to my good friend winter just yet.. :-)

Cheers,

Scratch

Full snow cover here yet, but an afternoon ahead of upper 40's won't help and the drifted off areas of the fields may break grass in a few spots tomorrow.

The woods have lots yet - as in 12" with spots to18" I'm sure. On Tuesday it was about 18" to 30" in the woods so we had some to lose...

I just went out and shoveled some snow from the banks onto the driveway...stuff that I had plowed a lot of gravel up with. Better than raking it all off the lawn next month.

There was over a foot here Tuesday morning. Time to clean up my front yard. THANKS DOGS!

I'm actually tired of winter. Never said that in all my years.

Also we were fortunate to be in the mid/upper 30's during the rain and at least here we dodged the real heavy stuff... around .90" total here looking at nearby wx stations.

I see a couple spots in the Ulster County Catskills had 5 inches! Hope my cottage down there doesn't have a flooded garage/basement under it.

I was very suprised this morning to still see such a deep snowpack...the 4" of sleet we got the other day has some real staying power! The only bare spots I've seen are under trees.

Very nice wrap around snow coming into WNY. Call me old fashioned, but if i were the NWS I'd be dropping a WWA or nowcasting a lot more. The timing on a Friday is going to catch a lot of people off guard as forecasts barely mentioned a passing snow shower and were already working on a fresh quarter inch of greasy snow.

I'm pleasantly surprised!

Archived