• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
March 2, 2009

MJO812

2 years ago today, the area got hit with a moderate snowfall. This storm was a 2 part storm. The 1st part hit the area with a light snowfall on Sunday morning. The 2nd part hit the area harder Sunday night into Monday. The low from the 2nd part formed off the base of the trough and rode up the coast. Altogether, I received 10 inches from this storm. The rates were also impressive. This was the first 10 inch storm that my area received in March in a long time.

R.I.P NGM

2wpo4dd1-1.gif

wunidsmap95149321.gif

This storm crapped out at the end for points n and w of nyc. The system shifted east at the last minute and a poor 700Mb setup drove a whicked dry slot up the area. The qpf for the day before was spitting out 15 inch amounts area wide which only verified on parts of the Island. A nice march snowfall, but it won't be remembered in ten years except maybe on the island.

This storm crapped out at the end for points n and w of nyc. The system shifted east at the last minute and a poor 700Mb setup drove a whicked dry slot up the area. The qpf for the day before was spitting out 15 inch amounts area wide which only verified on parts of the Island. A nice march snowfall, but it won't be remembered in ten years except maybe on the island.

Yes, the forecast was for 10-18 inches lol. Earthlight HATES that storm! And especially bad since it was the first noreaster snowstorm in over 3 years!

15.7" in Mystic, LI.

We got 10-11" here, in spite of the horrible 6"-7" measurement a JFK.... somehow they got "less" than NYC even though eastern and coastal areas got more, oh well lol. Earlier that winter they had "measured" 0.5 inch when we got about 4, enough for the plows to be on the roads.

Yes, the forecast was for 10-18 inches lol. Earthlight HATES that storm! And especially bad since it was the first noreaster snowstorm in over 3 years!

he can't complain now he has gotten 30+ inches in every storm since then and is averaging over 100 inches a year, so he says.

he can't complain now he has gotten 30+ inches in every storm since then and is averaging over 100 inches a year, so he says.

:lmao:

March 2009 was an absolute mess here, subsidence the entire night. You're right though, you won't hear a complaint from me. We had 56 something here last year, maybe a bit more..and 75+ this year...around 120-130" the past two winters which is absolutely out of control.

March 2009 was an absolute mess here, subsidence the entire night. You're right though, you won't hear a complaint from me. We had 56 something here last year, maybe a bit more..and 75+ this year...around 120-130" the past two winters which is absolutely out of control.

**** Syracuse would have been proud of those totals lol. Especially, when you think about it, we got most of that total in one month last winter (February) and in a 32 day period this winter (Dec 26 - Jan 27), so in 60 days total. And that's including the unbearable Feb 6, 2010 HECS near miss.

You have 75" this year? Wow!

I'd really like to catch you. I'm sitting at 65.75" right now, but I don't see a way of pulling ahead unless we get some late season events with a steep latitude/elevation gradient. I guess I'll have to settle for beating you by an entire foot last year, as my house in Dobbs Ferry finished with 68" in Winter 09-10.

It's truly remarkable how well we've done. In two winters, I've had the amount of snow I should see in four winters, incredible. I wouldn't be too shocked in Winter 11-12 turned out snowy as well considering the models seem to be keying in on weak La Niña/negative-neutral, which tends to result in some of our best winters...59-60, 60-61, 66-67. 95-96, 08-09, etc.

53 last year... 64 this season...

117 inches for both winters...

now if we had January 11-12th storm.....:arrowhead:

ahh, the old "what if?"..That january 11th storm, IF only it matured a bit earlier, north jersey would have gotten what SW CT got. IF only the feb 6th monster came north another 75 miles...You could look at it the other way too, what IF the dec 26th storm missed the phase, northern stream outruns the southern wave.. hmmm

Well situated in Monmouth County, we got either the goods or something appreciable with every big storm since March 2009. Of course I was 15 miles west in New Brunswick for march 2009 where we got 5 measly inches. What a run that will never be matched

Monmouth County

Mar. 2009: 10-13"

Dec. 2009: 15-21"

Feb 5, 2010: 10-15" (As little as 8" on on the northern fringes)

Feb 10, 2010: 13-18" (As little as 11" on the immediate coast)

Feb 25, 2010: 7-13"

Honorable mention: 70 mph wind gusts in March Noreaster

Dec 26, 2010: 22-30"

Jan 12, 2011: 6-9.5"

Jan 26, 2011: 7-17.5"

Well situated in Monmouth County, we got either the goods or something appreciable with every big storm since March 2009. Of course I was 15 miles west in New Brunswick for march 2009 where we got 5 measly inches. What a run that will never be matched

Monmouth County

Mar. 2009: 10-13"

Dec. 2009: 15-21"

Feb 5, 2010: 10-15" (As little as 8" on on the northern fringes)

Feb 10, 2010: 13-18" (As little as 11" on the immediate coast)

Feb 25, 2010: 7-13"

Honorable mention: 70 mph wind gusts in March Noreaster

Dec 26, 2010: 22-30"

Jan 12, 2011: 6-9.5"

Jan 26, 2011: 7-17.5"

I've got a 127.5" two winter total now, mid 50s this year and low 70s last year. Can't complain even with the crappy February. Last winter had a crappy January - rarely do we get all months DJF w/ big snowfalls.

Honestly if we had some bigger hills around here, Monmouth County could've been running a ski resort the past couple winters, averaging in the 60s for snowfall. They used to have a mini ski place with chairlifts over at Arrowhead in Marlboro, off of 520.

Guest Pamela

15.7" in Mystic, LI.

LOL I didnt know Mystic, Long Island existed, but I did remember there was a 16" snowfall total somewhere in Suffolk County from that storm.

I saw this yesterday but didn't think it was a big enough deal to correct...since there have been a few more posts, the name of the town is Mastic, not Mystic. The town's most (and probably only) famous resident is a woman who had a film purportedly made about her a couple years ago, though all the names were changed...Nikolai would likely be first to solve the puzzle.

53 last year... 64 this season...

117 inches for both winters...

now if we had January 11-12th storm.....:arrowhead:

It's funny that you put it that way. Here in Buffalo, NY, we have received just about 97 inches of snow this winter. However, I guarantee that none of the snow was even remotely as memorable as the snow which fell in the I-95 the past two winter (Downtown Buffalo and BUF Airport were not involved in the 45+ in. LES event).. I've lived in both NJ and WNY for substantial periods of time and can honestly tell people that they aren't missing much up here in Buffalo with regards to snow. LES is fun, but nothing compares to SECS /HECS /BECS.

It's funny that you put it that way. Here in Buffalo, NY, we have received just about 97 inches of snow this winter. However, I guarantee that none of the snow was even remotely as memorable as the snow which fell in the I-95 the past two winter (Downtown Buffalo and BUF Airport were not involved in the 45+ in. LES event).. I've lived in both NJ and WNY for substantial periods of time and can honestly tell people that they aren't missing much up here in Buffalo with regards to snow. LES is fun, but nothing compares to SECS /HECS /BECS.

I think it's the higher water content of the snow that makes the big difference. Up there, you can 2 feet of powder in a hvy LES band, but it never looks like 2ft on the ground as it usually disappears quite rapidly (mostly compaction).

I personally see northern Maine as the best place in the Northeast US for snow. They have some great synoptic snowfalls and their latitude allows deep 30"+ depths to remain on the ground for months on end.

I think it's the higher water content of the snow that makes the big difference. Up there, you can 2 feet of powder in a hvy LES band, but it never looks like 2ft on the ground as it usually disappears quite rapidly (mostly compaction).

I personally see northern Maine as the best place in the Northeast US for snow. They have some great synoptic snowfalls and their latitude allows deep 30"+ depths to remain on the ground for months on end.

The Southern Greens are also a great place for snow...you get cranked in Nor'easters and SW flow events which gives you plenty of liquid equivalent, but you also get the fluffy upslope snows...the 2000'+ areas around Bennington would be great to live in.

Archived