• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Driving from Montana to California through my windshield

These are from December 2009, taken along I-15 from Butte, MT to Los Angeles, CA. I-15 takes you all the way down from Montana through Salt Lake City, Las Vegas, and into the Los Angeles basin. Has its boring stretches but overall it's a nice drive, with a huge variety of scenery. From the forests of Montana, to the high desert of Utah, to the low desert of Nevada/California, it is an interesting drive mostly.

001duf.jpg

The Centennial Range in Southwest Montana

003pjx.jpg

Blowing snow north of Monida Pass in Montana

004jmu.jpg

Welcome to Idaho

005hyv.jpg

North of Idaho Falls in the very boring/flat Snake River Plane

006hzd.jpg

A fork in the road near Pocatello, Idaho

007vzn.jpg

Upon entering Utah, the scenery picks up considerably as the Wasatch Range immediately comes into view

008hy.jpg

More Wasatch Range, 50 miles north of Salt Lake City

009ib.jpg

And more Wasatch Range...

010iba.jpg

Still the Wasatch Range, but now south of Salt Lake City and about 250 miles north of Las Vegas

012glm.jpg

Dropping 3,000 feet into St George, Utah, and dropping below the snowline. A major climatic transition occurs here, from snow/cold/evergreens to warmth/palm trees/cactii

013eje.jpg

Now in Arizona, in the Virgin River Gorge an hour north of Las Vegas

014tx.jpg

Virgin River Gorge, AZ

015fx.jpg

Virgin River Gorge, AZ

016qk.jpg

Descending into the smoggy Las Vegas valley

018ln.jpg

Mojave desert between Las Vegas and Los Angeles

019xwv.jpg

Joshua Trees in the California desert

021xw.jpg

Sitting in traffic at Cajon Pass, which drops into the Los Angeles basin

022efs.jpg

LA! Phew, that was a long drive....

"Upon entering Utah, the scenery picks up considerably as the Wasatch Range immediately comes into view".

So does the smog as you enter the Wasatch :)

One thing I won't miss about that place--but the mountains on clear days are spectacular--especially the Wasatch as it rises 6000 feet over the SLC Valley in only 5-10 miles.

"Upon entering Utah, the scenery picks up considerably as the Wasatch Range immediately comes into view".

So does the smog as you enter the Wasatch :)

One thing I won't miss about that place--but the mountains on clear days are spectacular--especially the Wasatch as it rises 6000 feet over the SLC Valley in only 5-10 miles.

LOL yeah. In Salt Lake City I remember not being able to see 500 feet in front of me. Heaviest smog I've ever seen....

The Wasatch and Uinta Ranges in eastern Utah are two of the most beautiful I've seen...I spent a few days hiking and camping near Kamas, UT...really great spot in the Mirror Lake Recreation Area, pass crosses the 10,000' benchmark with various alpine lakes and waterfalls. Forest is also much more diversified than in Montana with more aspen and different types of pines mixing in.

Also visited the Snake River in Idaho..

The Wasatch and Uinta Ranges in eastern Utah are two of the most beautiful I've seen...I spent a few days hiking and camping near Kamas, UT...really great spot in the Mirror Lake Recreation Area, pass crosses the 10,000' benchmark with various alpine lakes and waterfalls. Forest is also much more diversified than in Montana with more aspen and different types of pines mixing in.

Also visited the Snake River in Idaho..

That bottom picture is definitely the Uintas. Neat picture.

That bottom picture is definitely the Uintas. Neat picture.

Yeah I was more in the Uintas but definitely went past the Wasatch, such a dramatic contrast between the Salt Lake Valley and the heights. I hiked up to 12,000' on Bald Mountain; it had to be about 40F with the wind whipping like a winter day in August. Apparently the Mirror Lake area is one of the first to see snowfall each season, starting in mid to late October. I loved camping near Kamas as the days were always sunny and in the mid 60s at moderate elevation, with nights dipping to the upper 30s, basically perfect weather for a campfire but not too cold to make it unenjoyable. Utah is one of my favorite places, and I want to go again in winter.

Yeah I was more in the Uintas but definitely went past the Wasatch, such a dramatic contrast between the Salt Lake Valley and the heights. I hiked up to 12,000' on Bald Mountain; it had to be about 40F with the wind whipping like a winter day in August. Apparently the Mirror Lake area is one of the first to see snowfall each season, starting in mid to late October. I loved camping near Kamas as the days were always sunny and in the mid 60s at moderate elevation, with nights dipping to the upper 30s, basically perfect weather for a campfire but not too cold to make it unenjoyable. Utah is one of my favorite places, and I want to go again in winter.

Winter is nice as long as you stay out of the valley and the nasty smog inversions tongue.gif

Baldy is a great hike! Not too vigorous but get great views of the surrounding terrain. Mirror Lake Highway SR 150 is an awesome loop. It usually closes early and opens late--and it is the highest state road in UT I believe at Baldy Pass--over 10,500 feet. Great area.

Winter is nice as long as you stay out of the valley and the nasty smog inversions tongue.gif

Baldy is a great hike! Not too vigorous but get great views of the surrounding terrain. Mirror Lake Highway SR 150 is an awesome loop. It usually closes early and opens late--and it is the highest state road in UT I believe at Baldy Pass--over 10,500 feet. Great area.

Wow, I didn't realize you'd hiked there; you've really been to some great places in the Intermountain West, and seem to be quite physically active as well. Not too easy to find hiking opportunities in the Great Plains sometimes although I suppose the Dakota Badlands offer some relief from the monotonous prairies.

Yes, Bald Mtn was a nice hike...I'd done 15 miles in the western part of the recreation area the previous day, so I wasn't looking for anything too intense. Bald Mountain fit the bill since it only took a couple hours to complete the round trip and spend some time snapping photos at the summit. I felt a bit out of breath as I pushed passed 11k but nothing that some water and a brief break couldn't take care of...I spent three solid days hiking in the Mirror Lake area, just incredible, and I happened to find it by accident as I was looking for camping near the highway, stopped at another state park, and the ranger guided me towards Mirror Lake. My 2000 Mazda, tiny car that it is, barely made it to the top of the pass, was a seriously struggle. But what a beautiful beautiful view.

I had a great time out West in Summer 2010...got to see the Theodore Roosevelt National Park, Glacier National Park, Angel Lake Recreation Area in eastern NV and then Mirror Lake....

BTW I did this exact drive from MT to Idaho Falls when I quit my job cooking up at Glaicer, but I didn't stay on I-15...Instead of heading for Las Vegas/Cali on 15 south, I took the fork towards Twin Falls and then state highways down to the Nevada border to go camping in the East Humboldt Range/Ruby Mountains near Wells. Talk about a dusty desert town but surrounded by some of the best scenery in America...also liked the local bar very much thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

BTW I did this exact drive from MT to Idaho Falls when I quit my job cooking up at Glaicer, but I didn't stay on I-15...Instead of heading for Las Vegas/Cali on 15 south, I took the fork towards Twin Falls and then state highways down to the Nevada border to go camping in the East Humboldt Range/Ruby Mountains near Wells. Talk about a dusty desert town but surrounded by some of the best scenery in America...also liked the local bar very much thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

The Rubies are beautiful--tell Famartin :)

I didn't know you lived in MT.

The Rubies are beautiful--tell Famartin :)

I didn't know you lived in MT.

I don't live there...I just took a job right outside Glacier National Park for Summer 2010 to be able to hike there and experience something different. I drove out from NYC in the early summer and was out West until around 8/20 when I hit the road for home. I've lived near NYC all my life, went to college in VT and am looking to start teaching in NYC public schools next year.

Great shots through the windshield. Love the blowing snow one in particular.

Though I've been out west many times, I always find the (nearly) treeless landscapes out there....disconcerting, or strange, for lack of better terms. It's hard to describe but coming from where I do, in a quite forested part of the world, the wide-openness out there is hard to miss.

I've hiked a fair bit in the Highlands of Scotland where the landscape is also very free of trees and didn't feel the same there as I have while out in the western US. Curious.... ;)

Have to remember that the valley floor around SLC is at 4500 ft elevation so you are only going up 1500 feet to get above the Inversion and smog (which is REAL smog being a combination of fog and fumes). The temperature contrasts can be unreal. When I was at Dugway, during the winter fog situations the temperature at the weather station would be around 15F while at the top of Johnson's Pass about 2000 feet higher it would be in the mid 50's. Same general range can be found during the Tule Fog situations in CA with temperatures 2000 feet above the valley floors being about 40 degrees warmer (and very much drier).

Steve

Great shots through the windshield. Love the blowing snow one in particular.

Though I've been out west many times, I always find the (nearly) treeless landscapes out there....disconcerting, or strange, for lack of better terms. It's hard to describe but coming from where I do, in a quite forested part of the world, the wide-openness out there is hard to miss.

I've hiked a fair bit in the Highlands of Scotland where the landscape is also very free of trees and didn't feel the same there as I have while out in the western US. Curious.... ;)

Thanks. There are a lot of forests in Montana, but I-15 avoids most of them. NW Montana is almost entirely densely forested.

Have to remember that the valley floor around SLC is at 4500 ft elevation so you are only going up 1500 feet to get above the Inversion and smog (which is REAL smog being a combination of fog and fumes). The temperature contrasts can be unreal. When I was at Dugway, during the winter fog situations the temperature at the weather station would be around 15F while at the top of Johnson's Pass about 2000 feet higher it would be in the mid 50's. Same general range can be found during the Tule Fog situations in CA with temperatures 2000 feet above the valley floors being about 40 degrees warmer (and very much drier).

Steve

Well not to be picky but the valley floor bottom is actually around 4200 feet with the benches starting around 4500 feet and going up to 5500 feet. But I agree--around 5500-6000 feet you can usually escape the smog--unfortunately there is very little real-estate that goes that high in the SLC Valley. You typically need to head up into the canyons to escape--and all that is up most of those is ski resorts.

Archived