Newest Member
    joxey
Lawn/Garden/Golf Thread

tombo82685

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hey Folks,

I though to check in here. I figured what the heck.. Gonna get the lawn cut for my folks today. I want to get the lawn seeded soon, but need some profressional help on that.

I need some help in getting a really good service on our lawn. What are some really good lawn services I can look into. I know, my family tried True Green, Scotts, and Chemlawn. I think its been a while since we used these services. Just seemed with their service they were quick and the results were lousy. I've tried doing it myself, with putting down Scotts, but it hasn't turned out too good. The front has lots of crab grass, some weeds. We even have these large Cicada Killer Wasps. Those are really large.

For the front, we finally got a nice sprinkler system put in. Now that did do a number on the lawn. We were thinking of getting a price on sod, but that maybe way to expensive. For the backyard, we don't have the sprinkler system. For the backyard, we have crab grass, ersoion and then no grass in some spots. So, looking for a really good service.. Would really like to get the seeding done this month, but let the pros do that from now on.

Anyway, like to find someone at a decent cost to help us out with getting the lawn seeded, get the weeds under control and probably some bug control

Alrighty, let me know what you can recommend.

Hey Folks,

I though to check in here. I figured what the heck.. Gonna get the lawn cut for my folks today. I want to get the lawn seeded soon, but need some profressional help on that.

I need some help in getting a really good service on our lawn. What are some really good lawn services I can look into. I know, my family tried True Green, Scotts, and Chemlawn. I think its been a while since we used these services. Just seemed with their service they were quick and the results were lousy. I've tried doing it myself, with putting down Scotts, but it hasn't turned out too good. The front has lots of crab grass, some weeds. We even have these large Cicada Killer Wasps. Those are really large.

For the front, we finally got a nice sprinkler system put in. Now that did do a number on the lawn. We were thinking of getting a price on sod, but that maybe way to expensive. For the backyard, we don't have the sprinkler system. For the backyard, we have crab grass, ersoion and then no grass in some spots. So, looking for a really good service.. Would really like to get the seeding done this month, but let the pros do that from now on.

Anyway, like to find someone at a decent cost to help us out with getting the lawn seeded, get the weeds under control and probably some bug control

Alrighty, let me know what you can recommend.

Don't waste your time or money on lawn services, do it yourself. I will help you through it so you can have a good lawn that you can do by yourself instead of paying for half arse services. So ask away what you want to learn or begin at.

Don't waste your time or money on lawn services, do it yourself. I will help you through it so you can have a good lawn that you can do by yourself instead of paying for half arse services. So ask away what you want to learn or begin at.

OK, I'm in for an education. Been working wiht a landscaper and big bucks later my lawn looks worse than it did two years ago when I bought the place.

Let's start with erosion. My back yard slopes gently from left to right and is a bowl front to back. Water pools at the right side (I had a 50' diameter lake at the height of Irene). Re-directing the water seems like a mammoth undertaking (its probably 250' side to side). I guess I need a ton of topsoil to replace wht's been eroded, but what then? Is sod a better option? If so, how do I make it blend with rest of the lawn?

OK, I'm in for an education. Been working wiht a landscaper and big bucks later my lawn looks worse than it did two years ago when I bought the place.

Let's start with erosion. My back yard slopes gently from left to right and is a bowl front to back. Water pools at the right side (I had a 50' diameter lake at the height of Irene). Re-directing the water seems like a mammoth undertaking (its probably 250' side to side). I guess I need a ton of topsoil to replace wht's been eroded, but what then? Is sod a better option? If so, how do I make it blend with rest of the lawn?

Is the erosion from the lake sitting their or the water running down the slope?

to deal with the water issues there are 2 ways do this.... find the lowest point where the deepest point of where the water collects. purchase a boxed drain like this picture below. Dig the hole so the drain part is flush or a little bit below the surface. Then get perforated pipe to go from the box to where you want to outlet it. For the pipe you want to dig down about 10 inches. fill it with gravel about 6 inches then the last 3-4 inches in soil then seed that. All the soil you dug up use that to smooth out your eroded areas and seed them

Another way you can do it is just dig a big pit like 4-5 feet long by 3 ft wide by 1-1.5 ft deep again in the area at the lowest point. put that pipe in the bottom fill it with gravel till you have about 4-5 inches of soil, then seed it. You can do like 2 rows of pipe and just purchase a Y connector to connect the two pieces to one. Then dig out the path where you want to take the pipe to drain. Use the soil you dug up to repair the eroded areas. When you run your pipe, make sure the pipe is on a fall so the water can run out.

Heres a pic of the box drain

Drain-Box-for-ac-unit.jpg

Is the erosion from the lake sitting their or the water running down the slope?

to deal with the water issues there are 2 ways do this.... find the lowest point where the deepest point of where the water collects. purchase a boxed drain like this picture below. Dig the hole so the drain part is flush or a little bit below the surface. Then get perforated pipe to go from the box to where you want to outlet it. For the pipe you want to dig down about 10 inches. fill it with gravel about 6 inches then the last 3-4 inches in soil then seed that. All the soil you dug up use that to smooth out your eroded areas and seed them

Another way you can do it is just dig a big pit like 4-5 feet long by 3 ft wide by 1-1.5 ft deep again in the area at the lowest point. put that pipe in the bottom fill it with gravel till you have about 4-5 inches of soil, then seed it. You can do like 2 rows of pipe and just purchase a Y connector to connect the two pieces to one. Then dig out the path where you want to take the pipe to drain. Use the soil you dug up to repair the eroded areas. When you run your pipe, make sure the pipe is on a fall so the water can run out.

Heres a pic of the box drain

Excellent! Thanks!

Now, onto the lawn. I just did a quick calculation on sod- roughly 19,000 sq ft at $0.25 a square foot, so that's clearly out of the question even if I install it myself. So aerate and re-seed. As we discussed last spring, my (former) landscaper got seed in too late and everything went to weed (probably 80%). What's my best strategy going forward? Do a weed and feed now, then aerate and overseed in a couple of weeks? Any recommendations on seed?

Excellent! Thanks!

Now, onto the lawn. I just did a quick calculation on sod- roughly 19,000 sq ft at $0.25 a square foot, so that's clearly out of the question even if I install it myself. So aerate and re-seed. As we discussed last spring, my (former) landscaper got seed in too late and everything went to weed (probably 80%). What's my best strategy going forward? Do a weed and feed now, then aerate and overseed in a couple of weeks? Any recommendations on seed?

is your lawn greater than 50 percent weeds?

I always put starter fert at the same time I put down seed. Does it make a big difference to wait until the seed starts to germinate.

I think so, cause your wasting that fertilizer. How can the seed uptake the fertilizer if its still in the seed, ya know? So thats why i say once you see sprouts put it down then the seedling can use the fert.

I would just use a weed killer that the lawn can tolerate, like Weed B Gone and do it today or tomorrow and in about two weeks you can reseed and have plenty of time for it to germinate, if less than 75% weeds. You will need to aerate though. Make sure you have a few hours for the weed killer to work before the rains come.

do this, since you have a huge area. just divide it up...do half the front this fall...another half next fall...or do half your front in sept, the other half late sept early oct.

I would just use a weed killer that the lawn can tolerate, like Weed B Gone and do it today or tomorrow and in about two weeks you can reseed and have plenty of time for it to germinate, if less than 75% weeds. You will need to aerate though. Make sure you have a few hours for the weed killer to work before the rains come.

Yes but he has grassy weed issues also which weed b gone wont touch. He coild of tried acclaim or drive but thw crabgrass is way past the 3 tiller stage. He could try fusilade but thats theoretically a non selective herbicide but it doesn't work against broadleafs.

Interesting thread, guys, and great info from tombo. This is our third fall in our first house, and I really want to start getting down to fixing up the lawn.

Tombo...a question for you. I have an issue with wild violets on my front lawn, which is prettty much isolated to just my lawn. I've heard that these things can be an absolute bear to get rid of, but what kind of treatment would you suggest to kill them? The lawn isn't great, but it's fairly healthy. The other "unwanted" things out there include clover, some dandelions, moss in a few spots, a little bermuda and/or crabgrass, and some other random broadleaf weeds. The majority (~85%) is grass (a mixture of a couple kinds, actually).

Interesting thread, guys, and great info from tombo. This is our third fall in our first house, and I really want to start getting down to fixing up the lawn.

Tombo...a question for you. I have an issue with wild violets on my front lawn, which is prettty much isolated to just my lawn. I've heard that these things can be an absolute bear to get rid of, but what kind of treatment would you suggest to kill them? The lawn isn't great, but it's fairly healthy. The other "unwanted" things out there include clover, some dandelions, moss in a few spots, a little bermuda and/or crabgrass, and some other random broadleaf weeds. The majority (~85%) is grass (a mixture of a couple kinds, actually).

if you have bermuda only thing to control it is fusilade or roundup and thats a year after year thing. Bermuda is tough to kill. For the other broadleafs get a liquid herbicide. The crabgrass is ptless to tackle now since it will be pretty much be gone in a month and or so. Just next year make sure you put a good pre emerge down. Do you have a lawn guy or do you do it yourself? Reason i ask, is cause he may be able to get you better herbicides for your weeds and he has an applicators license. But stuff like speedzone, spectracide, trimec, and Q4 will knock out broadleafs and is safe for lawn use. Q4 actually knocks out some grassy weeds to.

if you have bermuda only thing to control it is fusilade or roundup and thats a year after year thing. Bermuda is tough to kill. For the other broadleafs get a liquid herbicide. The crabgrass is ptless to tackle now since it will be pretty much be gone in a month and or so. Just next year make sure you put a good pre emerge down. Do you have a lawn guy or do you do it yourself? Reason i ask, is cause he may be able to get you better herbicides for your weeds and he has an applicators license. But stuff like speedzone, spectracide, trimec, and Q4 will knock out broadleafs and is safe for lawn use. Q4 actually knocks out some grassy weeds to.

Thanks, tombo. I really appreciate the feedback.

I've been doing it myself - last fall was the first time I really made an attempt at getting things going. I aerated and applied lime and fertilizer, as well as some seed (which I didn't take care of, so most died). I put down a pre-emerge this year, which knocked out a lot of the crabgrass that was really taking hold in the back yard.

The bermuda is only spotty, but I want to make sure I have a healthy lawn otherwise so that it doesn't have the chance to really get a foothold and take over. The broadleafs are the biggest pain, and that wild violet is the unsightliest thing about the lawn at this point. It's also the most prominent of the weeds out there.

From the sound of it, I should be able to get rid of quite a bit of this stuff myself, but perhaps hiring someone to apply the good herbicides would be the best way to attack it all out. I have a really good nursery just up the road, so I can check with them.

Thanks, tombo. I really appreciate the feedback.

I've been doing it myself - last fall was the first time I really made an attempt at getting things going. I aerated and applied lime and fertilizer, as well as some seed (which I didn't take care of, so most died). I put down a pre-emerge this year, which knocked out a lot of the crabgrass that was really taking hold in the back yard.

The bermuda is only spotty, but I want to make sure I have a healthy lawn otherwise so that it doesn't have the chance to really get a foothold and take over. The broadleafs are the biggest pain, and that wild violet is the unsightliest thing about the lawn at this point. It's also the most prominent of the weeds out there.

From the sound of it, I should be able to get rid of quite a bit of this stuff myself, but perhaps hiring someone to apply the good herbicides would be the best way to attack it all out. I have a really good nursery just up the road, so I can check with them.

technically you shouldnt be applying any herbicides since your not a licensed applicator, but people break that. You should be able to get spectracide at home depot possibly. You can also try and order that stuff online which may be easier. Are you sure you deff have bermuda grass and its not nimblewil?

That's great advice, thanks. I just want to make sure that I get seed down in time for it to germinate. What do you recommend for seed?

from now till first week in oct. Are you going to have your lawn crew or im no sure if you aerate you yard? But i would kill everything...then mow it as low as possible with your mower then slice seed or double core aerate and seed over it.

My grandfather is complaining about grass in his yard dying off, so I went up to take a look. I'm guessing it is grubs causing this, as the areas continue to expand in coverage from week to week and you can see little holes. Figured I'd post some pics here for confirmation that it is grubs. If it is, will it be o.k. to still put down grub killer this time of the year (I think its usually recommended to apply late Spring, early Summer). Secondly will the areas that died off eventually fill back in or will it require reseeding? Thanks.

post-0-0-75889900-1315616484.jpg

post-0-0-98202100-1315616522.jpg

My grandfather is complaining about grass in his yard dying off, so I went up to take a look. I'm guessing it is grubs causing this, as the areas continue to expand in coverage from week to week and you can see little holes. Figured I'd post some pics here for confirmation that it is grubs. If it is, will it be o.k. to still put down grub killer this time of the year (I think its usually recommended to apply late Spring, early Summer). Secondly will the areas that died off eventually fill back in or will it require reseeding? Thanks.

well if its grubs, pull up some of the turf, you will see them there. The turf should pull up easily. Yea usually you want to put that down in early july. Look tomorrow to see if its grubs, if you do i will tell you what to do.

Archived