• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Feb 9th-? MW/GL/OV Threat

SpartyOn

Octobomb was the first time our tornado sirens have went off in 10years. And all that happened was high wind for 10 minutes

I can't speak for Warsaw, Ohio, but here in Westerville this is absolutely not true. As I said, I remember VERY clearly two seperate occasions just this Fall getting pounded and hearing the sirens. This typically happens at LEAST once a year here. And my God you couldn't pay me enought to live about an hour NNW of here. I remember two years ago coming back from a weekend getaway at the UP of Michigan almost getting rolled by a tornado in that area of Ohio. We had to pull over at a gas station and hide our freaking ot dog with us in the gas station store. I'm sorry, Dilly, but I just don't agree with you here.

• Replies 979
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I can't speak for Warsaw, Ohio, but here in Westerville this is absolutely not true. As I said, I remember VERY clearly two seperate occasions just this Fall getting pounded and hearing the sirens. This typically happens at LEAST once a year here. And my God you couldn't pay me enought to live about an hour NNW of here. I remember two years ago coming back from a weekend getaway at the UP of Michigan almost getting rolled by a tornado in that area of Ohio. We had to pull over at a gas station and hide our freaking ot dog with us in the gas station store. I'm sorry, Dilly, but I just don't agree with you here.

You're entitled to not. But I know, expecially in my area, there are too many hills for tornado. There has never been a tornado touch down here since the town was established in 1817 lol..

Hills don't detour tornadoes, the people of Salt Lake City can prove that.

I think hilly terrain interferes with the shear necessary for tornadoes to form to a small degree, but if conditions are otherwise ripe, it's not going to stop the tornado from forming. It's along the lines of the old tale that tornadoes don't hit big cities because of the skyscrapers.

I think hilly terrain interferes with the shear necessary for tornadoes to form to a small degree, but if conditions are otherwise ripe, it's not going to stop the tornado from forming. It's along the lines of the old tale that tornadoes don't hit big cities because of the skyscrapers.

Or cross rivers.

Octobomb was the first time our tornado sirens have went off in 10years. And all that happened was high wind for 10 minutes

Remember this Ohio is home to the following:

1. The Cleveland Superbomb

2. The Xenia Tornado Outbreak "some say this was the worse outbreak ever"

3. IKE "Windstorm" That was the most freakish event in my lifetime. We had no power for six hours but some folks were left in the dark for days. This area was shutdown for days because of it. Never seen so much tree damge. We lost several trees during that event. I will never forget driving around and seeing trees blocking roads. It was crazy!

This was a video I made! One of my classics!

Between 2:30-2:40 is impressive!

3. IKE "Windstorm" That was the most freakish event in my lifetime. We had no power for six hours but some folks were left in the dark for days. This area was shutdown for days because of it. Never seen so much tree damge. We lost several trees during that event. I will never forget driving around and seeing trees blocking roads. It was crazy!

The problem here is, no offense to Dilly but because it didn't happen in his direct local it wasn't major event, the thing is especially with tornadoes, the locations that do get hit are small. Thus why people storm chase.

You're entitled to not. But I know, expecially in my area, there are too many hills for tornado. There has never been a tornado touch down here since the town was established in 1817 lol..

eastern and southeastern OH does tend to be a wasteland when it comes to severe wx. Not sure but I think it has to do with the foothill region of the apps.

HOWEVER, Jaypsu is correct about westerville and cmh in general. We have plenty of tornado warnings every year. Can't remember the exact year...think it was '07, but a tornado touched down in November and destroyed several new homes in a subdivision just to my east. I can thank a hailstorm a couple years back for my new roof. We aren't the oklahoma tornado alley, but we do pretty damn good.

The problem here is, no offense to Dilly but because it didn't happen in his direct local it wasn't major event, the thing is especially with tornadoes, the locations that do get hit are small. Thus why people storm chase.

The Ike Storm should of done it damage up that way too. I wasn't around for the Xenia/Superbomb but Ike was sick!

Between 2:30-2:40 is impressive!

#3 was wild. It was horribly under forecasted.....not a drop of rain fell.....kids got 3 days off school that week due to no electricity, many people were without for over a week.

#3 was wild. It was horribly under forecasted.....not a drop of rain fell.....kids got 3 days off school that week due to no electricity, many people were without for over a week.

Yeah that was not forecasted. My buddy called me like at 8/9 that morning and said watch out this afternoon if the sun comes because its going to cause that jet to go hog wild and by God did it get sunny. I was watching the Bungals and by halftime my attention was off that game and went outside to see what the hell was going on and I about wet my pants with the high winds.

Youre comparing a giant city with a lot of land to a town of 800 people surrounded by hills lol. Now IKE winds did affect the area I live at the time (Fredericktown) it was quite wild.

You are limiting yourself greatly by just using your town as a marker of something occurring in your area. Even at that the people in Mossy Grove Tennessee can tell you about a tornado coming down a hill right into town. They were hit in Nov of 2002 with a F-3 killing 7 people. The thing is you can never say never with meteorological phenomena.

Hills don't detour tornadoes, the people of Salt Lake City can prove that.

Agreed. The Salt Lake Valley is quite small on the synoptic scale--and quite deep. I did a short forecasting stint there--and the valley walls are extreme. The Oquirrh Range is on the west and rises to 10,000 feet--and the Wasatch Range on the east end rise to 11,700 feet while the valley sits low at 4200 feet. Tornadoes--although rare--can indeed form in complex terrain.

http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&ll=40.64522,-111.864166&spn=0.501199,0.953751&t=p&z=11

11 Tornados in your county since 1957. Four since 1990. An F2 that is probably just a mile or two north of Fredricktown in 1982. Injured 9 people.

http://www.tornadohistoryproject.com/custom/267171/map

Archived