gopenoxfox
    Newest Member
    gopenoxfox
Cyclone Yasi

• Replies 585
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Josh

They seem to be flying blind at the moment. Although we are being told we will only get a Cat 2 here now???? Not sure if this is right but people here are pretty worried. I have family in Townsville so I am worried for them.......

Can you give me any idea on your thoughts about what we may expect.....it is amazing as the wind as picked up and the skies have certainly changed although I am starting to feel we may not get too much at all.....what are you thinking by looking at everything???

Cheers

Mardi

Hi Josh

They seem to be flying blind at the moment. Although we are being told we will only get a Cat 2 here now???? Not sure if this is right but people here are pretty worried. I have family in Townsville so I am worried for them.......

Can you give me any idea on your thoughts about what we may expect.....it is amazing as the wind as picked up and the skies have certainly changed although I am starting to feel we may not get too much at all.....what are you thinking by looking at everything???

Cheers

Mardi

You should really just follow BOM advisories.

Down to 938.0 now

Thanks K**** -

We just heard that we can't get updates only through satellite images? As Willis Island must have been damaged.....

I will keep listening to BoM and see how we go....

it should come onto mainland radars at cairns and townsville a while before landfall. until then satellite is the only option.

Hi Josh

Cheers

Mardi

Hi, Mardi--

I don't know where you're getting this crazy information, but it's absurd. Like kush said, just read the BoM advices. And see the map that I made, above: you are in the direct-hit zone and will experience some of the highest winds, which will occur between Cairns and Ingham!

Townsville will probably get off easy. If the cyclone takes the track predicted by the BoM, you're going to see a lot worse than your family down there.

937.8 mb. Seems like it's bottomed out. Not as low as I was expecting-- although it could be that the station isn't in the eye or isn't in the center of it. (Too bad we're not getting wind obs.)

it has to be in the eye....2C temp jump since that eyewall encounter

it probably grazed the inside

it has to be in the eye....2C temp jump since that eyewall encounter

it probably grazed the inside

Agreed. There can be big pressure differences even within the eye-- from the periphery to the center-- as I saw last year during Karl. My pressure readings at the edge of the eye were more than 10 mb higher than at the center of the eye, just a few miles away.

Hi, Mardi--

I don't know where you're getting this crazy information, but it's absurd. Like kush said, just read the BoM advices. And see the map that I made, above: you are in the direct-hit zone and will experience some of the highest winds, which will occur between Cairns and Ingham!

Townsville will probably get off easy. If the cyclone takes the track predicted by the BoM, you're going to see a lot worse than your family down there.

Thanks Josh

We are prepared - although to be honest I was getting more worried about my family in Townsville. I will let you know how I am going through out the day. I guess for someone who has not been in a cyclone before it's a little hard to comprehend that a day like today is going to turn so nasty....

Anyway I better go and check everything....thanks Josh.

Cheers

Thanks Josh

We are prepared - although to be honest I was getting more worried about my family in Townsville. I will let you know how I am going through out the day. I guess for someone who has not been in a cyclone before it's a little hard to comprehend that a day like today is going to turn so nasty....

Anyway I better go and check everything....thanks Josh.

Cheers

My pleasure. Just watch for the BoM advices-- they come out every three hours. If the track shifts more toward Townsville, they'll mention it!

We look forward to your updates!

The final wind reading (76 kt G 100) was at 8:10 am EST, when the pressure was 955.1 mb. That was 1 hour and 10 minutes before the lowest pressure at 9:20 am, which was 937.8 mb. Given these data, I think it's safe to say the wind peaked quite a bit later, and got much higher, than that final reading.

Archived