amirah5
    Newest Member
    amirah5
LV/Reading/NEPA/Poconos/NWNJ obs and banter PT 2

Big Jims Videos

• Replies 334
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have to say I saw some very bad driving today, several accidents people driving way to fast. I hope the public realizes what the potential is here and stay home its not worth it. I had to navigate a couple close calls today it was bad

Good luck tonight everyone...SINCE I AM ONLY ALLOWED TO POST 3 TIMES TODAY YOU WON'T HEAR FROM ME...but I will pm some of you if we have major power issues/destruction. Have the 3G card ready if I need it. A little worried for what it will look like tomorrow morning here in the greater Reading area.

Took an hour to shovel the stubborn sleet/frza layer from the driveway/sidewalks before dark. My yard is like a glacier in Alaska at this point. Mounds of ice chunks and snow. When shoveling, you must literally throw the ice/snow as far as possible over the mounds to avoid it all sliding down back to the hard surface.

Good thing is that I have a gas fireplace with a pilot light so I assume I can manually start this if the power does go out. Our neighborhood has no overhead power lines anyway. I am thinking the arborvitaes in the backyard will take a severe beating as some are already leaning. Stay safe folks.

My yard is like a glacier in Alaska at this point. Mounds of ice chunks and snow.

Stay safe folks.

Alaska had more snow when I was there during the first week of January.....

and the sun angle in Fairbanks on New years was "slightly" different too.whistle.gif

Should be a very intersting night!

Stay safe! And be careful with that gas.

Took an hour to shovel the stubborn sleet/frza layer from the driveway/sidewalks before dark. My yard is like a glacier in Alaska at this point. Mounds of ice chunks and snow. When shoveling, you must literally throw the ice/snow as far as possible over the mounds to avoid it all sliding down back to the hard surface.

Good thing is that I have a gas fireplace with a pilot light so I assume I can manually start this if the power does go out. Our neighborhood has no overhead power lines anyway. I am thinking the arborvitaes in the backyard will take a severe beating as some are already leaning. Stay safe folks.

If a larger grid goes, you could still lose power for a time. Back in a January 2005 storm, we hardly got any ice and went above freezing relatively quick, but a few miles north and a few hundred feet higher they didn't and had a major ice storm. Even though Tamaqua proper was spared the ice storm, we still lost power for 28 hours due to the grids north of us getting hammered.

Yes that is true. I think last spring the power went out overnight without a storm. A large transformer blew down by the Lehigh River which affected a large area.

If a larger grid goes, you could still lose power for a time. Back in a January 2005 storm, we hardly got any ice and went above freezing relatively quick, but a few miles north and a few hundred feet higher they didn't and had a major ice storm. Even though Tamaqua proper was spared the ice storm, we still lost power for 28 hours due to the grids north of us getting hammered.

I just got done my live reports in Moosic and in my car it read 22 degrees and it was freezing rain--no sleet at all...

I don't care what the models are showing at this point, it's strictly time to nowcast. I know in a half hour my windshild had a glaze on it from the light rain...

and that does not bode well for tomorrow.

radar looks like some light precip in northern and central Northampton County. Any reports?

From 5:30 to 6:30, in Stroudsburg decent sleet and a little freezing rain. During lulls, just fine horizontally falling frozen, sparklIng ice crystals.

Now 21° +\- in Bangor

A touch of freezing drizzle.

Archived