Newest Member
    joxey
Tuesday/Wed Potential Brand new : )

Guest stormchaser

• Replies 637
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest stormchaser

This thread is confusing as to which event is being discussed.

We are talking about the major storm affecting the country this week. However we are also making earmark notes about how this storm sets up a potential storm for next weekend as well.

This storm however also kind of has two parts 1) the overrunning and 2) the main low.

Hope that helps clear it up : )

Guest stormchaser

Yes, post 84 hours also. Getting really close here guys. Honestly, it ain't over till its over. It is close now. This thing cuts south of us and goes out over the DelMarva. Just watch. HPC is right.

0z GGEM is the same as the 12z run. Much colder and further south and east than the GFS. Here is the GGEM at 96 hours.

http://www.weatherof...ast/134_100.gif

The GEM is as stubbon as it was on the last event...the difference is that this time I think its right.

I'll say it right now...I will be utterly AMAZED if even in this awful set-up we manage to stay all or mostly frozen (that includes any and all ice). If that happens I believe we make a realistic run at 95-96 and more likely surpass it in this anomalous ridiculous winter we're having.

Guest stormchaser

based on the location of the low compared to the EURO and GFS it is likely the 2m temps are very close to if not below freezing. So this is not a nogaps like solution where we stay mostly snow but it is definitely an all or mostly frozen solution.

Yea but GGEM seems closer to NOGAPS then to GFS/NAM if i am not mistaken. Also, if someone with good memory can think back to the last storm, wasnt the NOGAPS the first to consistently latch onto our snowstorm?

I dont want to start separating camps yet but it looks like it wants to be NOGAPS/GGEM at one end vs. GFS/NAM/Euro at the other

I'll say it right now...I will be utterly AMAZED if even in this awful set-up we manage to stay all or mostly frozen (that includes any and all ice). If that happens I believe we make a realistic run at 95-96 and more likely surpass it in this anomalous ridiculous winter we're having.

The models are very bad with these sorts of setups....in 93-94 the 2/8-2/11 period was forecast to be primarily rain by the models 3-5 days out, it was not until the morning of the 7th that most of the forecasts began to realize both events were going to be frozen.

All in all, this looks to have a good front end thump of WAA snows, but the question is whether the low can transfer to the east and not amplify as much, and have mostly frozen precip fall, either sleet or snow, more than rain....I wouldn't also mind to give up some snow to help us out with the potential threat after the mid-week storm, since it will have an effect on the event that comes later.

Guest stormchaser

The GFS ensembles say congrats Detroit...rain for everyone east of the Apps.

Yea, it still seems the data is overwhelmingly in favor of a MW/GL storm. However at least there is something making it worth tracking for this area.

I still say that the high builds in stronger across southern Canada and this storm cuts across to our south and off the DelMarva. We really don't need it to redevelop so much as we need it to stay to our south in conjunction with the high building in stronger to our north, and that is precisely what happened with the last storm as well, even though the models did not see it until the last minute. By the way, I was saying this even before the NOGAPS and Canadian just came in showing almost precisely what I am saying.

I'm wondering if the convection in the deep south being generated is causing convective feedback issues. We all saw what the thunderstorms over the gulf did with the last event. Does this event setup a temporary 50/50 block later on? I think we have yet another monster in the making and some nice blocking would sure help.

I know the V-Day 2007 storm has shown up alot in the analogs, and I think we might just get that. That seems like a comprimise right now between the GFS/NAM?EC and the NOAGP/GGEM

We can't classify the UKMET or the ECMWF yet as they have not come in yet on this data feed.

I'm wondering if the convection in the deep south being generated is causing convective feedback issues. We all saw what the thunderstorms over the gulf did with the last event. Does this event setup a temporary 50/50 block later on? I think we have yet another monster in the making and some nice blocking would sure help.

I know the V-Day 2007 storm has shown up alot in the analogs, and I think we might just get that. That seems like a comprimise right now between the GFS/NAM?EC and the NOAGP/GGEM

If we pull off an all frozen event Tuesday into Wednesday albeit sleet/FR/Snow in any combination this would be stunningly dramatic.

Preserving the snowpack is key with minimal eroding.

2010-11 is record smashing, potential record smashing, one surprise after another and we're only 1/3 into winter...nothing short of astonishing.

Guest stormchaser

Could not have said it better myself. And the warm air has not been winning too many battles this year either.

I think this does little to help our purposes further south here though. (NNJ/NYC).

Archived