• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
NE OK/ NW AR/ SE KS/ SW MO Winter 2011 Part 2

okie333

FYI, this is a cool site...it takes similar setups at 500mb and shows you what occurred...this is based off this morning's 12Z GFS run 500mb heights over the central US at 72 hours...some events of note are 3/9/94, 11/30/06, 01/01/96, 01/18/95 and 12/04/02

http://www.eas.slu.e...COSN&sort=FINAL

That is a cool site, thanks! :clap:

I think us central OK folk are nervous that the GFS hasn't budged with it's outcome of ramping up precip east of OKC. Hopefully you're right and this thing gets its' act together earlier, kind of like what the NAM is showing.

• Replies 991
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That is a cool site, thanks! :clap:

I think us central OK folk are nervous that the GFS hasn't budged with it's outcome of ramping up precip east of OKC. Hopefully you're right and this thing gets its' act together earlier, kind of like what the NAM is showing.

The analogs do not favor central OK as you can see but the bottom line is if that southern wave does not get pulled north by the system in the northern branch of the jet you should see snow there...it probably won't be a very big storm since the 500 low is not closed off when it passes to the south but the developing surface low over AR helps out.

Is it just me or does tonites GGEM look almost identical to the 0z run from last night. Same LP in MS and same precip field north of the low.

I have no idea, I don't remember that run so it must have sucked, lol

NOGAPS is beautiful though tonight, lol

GFS Ens mean is very NAMlike.

I was having a conversation with a met friend from Columbia a few days ago and we were discussing the similarities with the November 30/Dec 1 snowstorm that dropped 18 inches of snow in parts of west central/central Missouri. It's interesting to see it as analog #3 at SLU.

I still lean to the GFS, but it'll be interesting to see the differences in the models tomorrow. I still don't think the system off the CA coast is well-sampled by the RAOB network and it may not be until the 00z runs tomorrow that it is completely sampled. I think we'll see a stronger system in the models tomorrow night and a slight trend northwest. Heaviest axis of snow will run from Lamar to Boonvile to Hannibal on northeast from there, but a large area of real estate will get very healthy snow amounts!

I was on-air in Columbia during the 06 storm and was so focused on the 18" of snow we received that I don't recall the effects of the system to the south. What did southern Missouri experience with that storm?

EDITED to change Kahoka to Hannibal (after thinking about it Kahoka was too far north).

I was having a conversation with a met friend from Columbia a few days ago and we were discussing the similarities with the November 30/Dec 1 snowstorm that dropped 18 inches of snow in parts of west central/central Missouri. It's interesting to see it as analog #3 at SLU.

I still lean to the GFS, but it'll be interesting to see the differences in the models tomorrow. I still don't think the system off the CA coast is well-sampled by the RAOB network and it may not be until the 00z runs tomorrow that it is completely sampled. I think we'll see a stronger system in the models tomorrow night and a slight trend northwest. Heaviest axis of snow will run from Lamar to Boonvile to Kohoka on northeast from there, but a large area of real estate will get very healthy snow amounts!

I was on-air in Columbia during the 06 storm and was so focused on the 18" of snow we received that I don't recall the effects of the system to the south. What did southern Missouri experience with that storm?

This:

http://www.crh.noaa.gov/sgf/?n=2006_nov30dec1_snowstorm

Same I got 18" from that monster it was a really awesome storm

It was awesome. As I was heading into work about 2 AM, I was fresh tracks on Highway 63 in 10" of snow. I was traveling with a meteorologist colleague of mind and we saw so many flashes of lightning it was unreal. There was one that we were confident was CG strike with the loudest crack of thunder I've ever heard out of thundersnow. It was unbelievable! Someone will experience that with this storm.

It was awesome. As I was heading into work about 2 AM, I was fresh tracks on Highway 63 in 10" of snow. I was traveling with a meteorologist colleague of mind and we saw so many flashes of lightning it was unreal. There was one that we were confident was CG strike with the loudest crack of thunder I've ever heard out of thundersnow. It was unbelievable! Someone will experience that with this storm.

It was one to remember for sure. I heard some thunderclaps with that thing. It snowed so heavy to for awhile. Under the 18" we had a thin glaze of ice as well before it changed over quickly to snow. Would love to see another like that for sure!

The analogs do not favor central OK as you can see but the bottom line is if that southern wave does not get pulled north by the system in the northern branch of the jet you should see snow there...it probably won't be a very big storm since the 500 low is not closed off when it passes to the south but the developing surface low over AR helps out.

It doesn't matter if the 500mb low closes or not. I would rather that it doesn't. All you need is the 500mb wave to tilt negitive as it passes and you will get a good banding situation. If it closes off you peak to fast, I would rather see an open wave with a strong closed 850mb low over a closed 500mb low anyday.

Euro's coming out........

Not sure about temps but..........

Chicago Storm says:

60hrs: 1004mb SLP in far NE. Texas.

WAA snows in the OV/GL. Nice hit for OKC/ICT with main system precip.

66hrs: Sub 1004mb SLP in NE. Arkansas.

Nice hit for TUL/KC.

72hrs: 1000mb SLP in far S. Illinois.

Nice hit for KC/DSM/DVN/ORD.

Euro's coming out........

Not sure about temps but..........

Chicago Storm says:

60hrs: 1004mb SLP in far NE. Texas.

WAA snows in the OV/GL. Nice hit for OKC/ICT with main system precip.

66hrs: Sub 1004mb SLP in NE. Arkansas.

Nice hit for TUL/KC.

72hrs: 1000mb SLP in far S. Illinois.

Nice hit for KC/DSM/DVN/ORD.

Doesn't sound like it deviated too much from the previous run.

MoWeatherguy isn't here for QPF though :(

At this point, I think it's safe to say we are looking at a major winter storm, but precip types aren't figured out yet.

Doesn't sound like it deviated too much from the previous run.

MoWeatherguy isn't here for QPF though :(

At this point, I think it's safe to say we are looking at a major winter storm, but precip types aren't figured out yet.

Yea man I think we are in for something nasty for sure this time. I just dont really want the zr lol

I have looked over the latest data. I will continue to tweak my forecast over the next 48 hours to give you the most accurate forecast. Here is the good news, I am going to lower ice amounts. Here is the bad news, I am going to up snow amounts. Here is my latest updated blog.

http://www.koamtv.co....asp?S=13934215

Doug Heady

I'm confused, how is increased snow amounts bad news? thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

lmao, it isn't bad news. But I copied the link from my facebook and most don't want winter weather. Well except for us weather nerds, lol.

yeah, I would much rather have snow than freezing rain. Looks like you are going with NAM temps and GFS precip?

Archived