Gonzalo00
    Newest Member
    Gonzalo00
OV Winter Storm Threat for February 2-3

dilly84

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Something to keep an eye on. Were less than 24hrs out and there is still no real consistency lol... No forecast is real solid right now for anyone of us. lol

With the temps so close, who knows what can happen. Might come down to how long that high will stay in place and its power. This may decide ice vs rain situation.

Yeap.. Yet another hitch in the forecast. Any clue what to forecast right now?There is alot on the table right now......

as of right now, for cmh... probably something like this:

wintry mix developing monday evening, (sleet, snow, frz rain), change to all freezing rain late with .2" ice accum by morning. Freezing rain tuesday moring with an additional .1" accum before changing to rain showers Tuesday late morning. Tuesday night rain redevelops becomes heavy at times thru the night. Rain transitiions to frz rain, sleet, then snow before ending wed afternoon. 1-3" snow possible.

That's my conservative forecast. Based on what i see on models and my past experience with what the models show and how that usually interprets here in cmh.

Biggest bust potential is colder surface temps and a much more significant ice storm.

Possible bust potential is cold comes in quicker and we have heavier backside accums.

I would probably go with a frz rain advisory monday night and tues morning and a winter wx advisory wednesday

i would add this. I don't have any experience with a storm heading into central IN and then occluding east. I have no idea what that translates into in terms of real wx here. Usually we have occlusions occur with a primary over us or just south of us occluding to the coast.

Its a complicated forecast.. Here was mine that I posted earlier around 1130..

Well the latest model guidance has trended a bit colder and the models still do not agree on the exact track of the low pressure system. That is very critical to the forecast right now. There is also lots of cold air involved with this storm system and its going to fight hard to stay entrenched across the region. I will not have a solid forecast on this storm system till Monday afternoon. My first call is as follows:

Cincinnati/Northern KY- Light sleet and freezing rain during the onset but you should switch to rain by Tuesday morning with less than .25 ICE accumulation. Back end snows could amount to 1-2 inches.

Butler and Warren Counties- Sleet and freezing rain will overspread the region Monday night and last through the day on Tuesday and the question that needs to be hammered out is when do we switch to rain? I say after 10am right now. By that time we will see between .25-.50 ice accumulation for the area. Backend snows of 1-2 inches are possible in this zone too.

Montgomery, Preble to I 70- This right now is the danger zone of seeing a crippling ice storm with .50-1.00 of ice accumulation possible with again 1-2 inch snows on the back side.

Again rest assure I am still not ready to push the panic button to tell folks to go get batteries etc. Its still a bit premature because there is absolutely no consistency in the model data right now and this has been one tough storm to track. I will be back with another update during the morning hours and again Monday afternoon. By that time I feel we should have a good handle on the situation. Stay tuned! Weather Outlooks will return tomorrow night!

I'm really liking the chances of this staying all frozen... in one form or another. All models have locked in to the idea of radid occlusion. Lots of surprises in store with this storm I'm guessing.

with as tight as the temp gradient it, you bet. I am only 40 miles from 6-8" and 50 miles from 10-12" so its tight.. even a small shift south when it comes through could have huge impacts.

Thanks for the update on CLE btw. much appreciated.

TUE 06Z 01-FEB -5.6 -1.9 1024 84 83 0.02 555 536

TUE 12Z 01-FEB -6.0 -2.4 1023 91 95 0.20 555 537

TUE 18Z 01-FEB -4.6 -1.1 1023 86 85 0.04 556 539

WED 00Z 02-FEB -5.4 -0.5 1020 88 85 0.07 555 539

WED 06Z 02-FEB -2.7 0.8 1010 92 97 0.33 552 543

WED 12Z 02-FEB 0.1 2.5 1001 94 48 0.40 541 540

WED 18Z 02-FEB -2.5 -12.0 1007 66 38 0.03 533 528

I think most of CLE's snows will come from the front end WAA thump overnight tonight. Could be an easy 6 inches, with just slop afterward. NAM has a half inch of ice and sleet falling at CLE for the overnight hours on Tuesday into Wednesday. That's pretty much the worst time for an ice storm. Ice will be easy to accumulate and also corresponds to the peak winds of the storm.

The morning commute tomorrow will be awful with the quick dump of WAA snows, and forget about Wednesday mornings commute as traffic signals will be inoperable.

Archived