DAY WHILE THE 12Z AND NEW 00Z ECMWF RUNS HAVE ADJUSTED STEADILY

EWD FROM THE 00Z/28 RUN THAT HAD DEFINED THE WRN SIDE OF THE SOLN

ENVELOPE. MEANWHILE THE UKMET IS ON THE FASTER SIDE OF THE SPREAD

OVER THE ERN STATES AND BY EARLY THU THE CANADIAN BECOMES SLOWER

THAN THE GUIDANCE AVERAGE OFF THE NERN COAST. THE 00Z GEFS/12Z

ECMWF ENSEMBLE MEANS PROVIDE A GOOD COMPROMISE FOR TRACK/TIMING

AND ALSO FOLLOW PREVIOUS CONTINUITY EXTREMELY WELL... SO THEIR

SOLNS ARE RECOMMENDED FOR THIS SYSTEM

just to add a bit more to the euro qpf which was already posted...

00z euro qpf bumped north a bit, thats why you are seeing more mixing in the southern tier.....and a bump up in qpf for the regions right along the international border to about 1.00

also qpf for ottawa and montreal bumped up to around 0.7-0.8

the bullseye looked to be around just SE of lake ontario towards KSYR, a little blip of 1.5

Pretty incredible how Toronto could get an epic storm while Ottawa and Montreal completely miss out. Almost like early February 2008.

i remember that storm in feb 2008....we missed that heavy snow by only 20 km or so. imagine if it had hit.....the records would have been broken! :arrowhead:

anyways, we are still in the game for this one, but we are also more than anyone else riding the fence.

pattern recognition says that a little blip in the way the energy interacts out west, will easily take us out of the game.

climo regarding the track and pattern doesnt favor us either for the heavy snow.

its obviously going to take something special to break a 2 yr streak.......its going to take everything its got to move that PV enough out of the way....but as per what the models show at least, this *could* be a special storm.

of course that could all change by next runs :lol: ....but as of right now, *we have a chance*

btw, the baroclinic zone setting up in the center of the country could end up being one for the books.

i can only imagine what would happen if ALL that energy in the west came out at once.....Superbomb comes to mind.

as it is, there will likely be some ridiculous dynamics in places like TX/OK/MO and other states when this thing gets going.

as far as the storm 'missing' goes..........i think by tonights 00z models you can really increasing confidence, and then by 12z tomorrow it will begin to lock that it wont miss at least a portion of the region.... .at that point energy interaction will be occurring onshore

I would be surprised if it was a complete miss.All the models have been trending " our " way........I just am real jittery to think with the blocking that has been here all year and as strong as some storms have been that the pv is going to relax enough to get this storm north enough or that the storm is strong enough to get past it. Is the ridging west strong enough to support this ?TG also talked about this in an earlier post. I am hoping, just cautious.

I would be surprised if it was a complete miss.All the models have been trending " our " way........I just am real jittery to think with the blocking that has been here all year and as strong as some storms have been that the pv is going to relax enough to get this storm north enough or that the storm is strong enough to get past it. Is the ridging west strong enough to support this ?TG also talked about this in an earlier post. I am hoping, just cautious.

it does support it

but in fact this 'winter' storm pattern (if the energy comes together as is modeled currently) isnt really anything like we've seen since janaury of 2009, this isnt like the storms we've seen miss us to our S and E.

the trough position is waaaay west, and if it wasnt for the polar vortex, this thing would easily cut west and all of us would rain and we'd melt. so in many ways, we should all be very thankful that the PV is there to protect us here in the NE. now we just need to strike the right balance between energy strength and polar vortex strength....a risky proposition of course. at this range, lots could still change ,including the energy crapping out and passing weakly south of us.....but that would be a huge turnaround on the models at this point, but i guess you can never say never.

NAM still showing some light-mod snow at hr 72 while the LP is in TX ..Im not sure why tho..

Yeah thats a real nice appetizer looks like its from isentropic lift. but the nam might be a little warm for round 2 with the 0 C 850 line at the NY/PA border to CT/MA border. Either way thats one heck of a baroclinic zone setting up.

Yeah thats a real nice appetizer looks like its from isentropic lift. but the nam might be a little warm for round 2 with the 0 C 850 line at the NY/PA border to CT/MA border. Either way thats one heck of a baroclinic zone setting up.

The nam can be to amped at times in the longrange..The euor/nogaps and gfs all seem to go north and then cut east saving us for the most part..I wouldn't be surprised if the nam did that also..It will prob be a little less amped as the weekend goes on, it will fit in nice with the ecm/gfs and all other models..

A coupla things I see...

Cold air looks to be dependent on how the PV/northern stream interacts... will it be a bit quicker than currently indicated? Also, one must watch the snow growth layer...when you get in the 600-500mb range you start to lose good snow growth... around BGM that generally equates to 10:1 ratio from my experience... I can't wait to see the 12z runs tomorrow when the main culprit moves onshore....

Archived