• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
This obsession of ours......

pondo1000

This was started under another thread, but buckeye suggested (I think it is a great idea) that a new topic on it be started. I mentioned if anyone ever asked themselves why they are so obsessed with snow. I try to recall growing up as a kid and I do remember loving it, but now to be an adult and still love it like I do to the point where I get in a bad mood when a model run does not go our way is ridiculous. I think I need professional help!

Please share your thoughts here. Thanks!

This was started under another thread, but buckeye suggested (I think it is a great idea) that a new topic on it be started. I mentioned if anyone ever asked themselves why they are so obsessed with snow. I try to recall growing up as a kid and I do remember loving it, but now to be an adult and still love it like I do to the point where I get in a bad mood when a model run does not go our way is ridiculous. I think I need professional help!

Please share your thoughts here. Thanks!

Snow is beautiful and to me peaceful. When I see a picture of a snowy landscape it gives me a warm feeling. Don't know why, it just does. Also, isn't it funny when there is a great big snowstorm how neighbors kind of come together to help each other?

One of my favorite memories was in 1996 living in the philadelphia area. I was 23 and I would always tune into KYW News radio in the winter to get the 5 day from Elliot Abrams. Well, on January 2nd, his exact words for 5-6 days from then were, "A snowstorm is likely Sunday into Monday." It gave me chills! I mean snowstorm likely? They never say that, especially that far in advance. I kept tuning in and the forecast never changed. Well, the rest is history and my now wife and I drove home from the Poconos in the storm and we made it to Philly just in time. It was a little scary, but unbelievable. I mean the PA Turnpike was one lane the whole way. Luckily I had an SUV.

I love winter. Always have. Snow is my friend, and I hate it when we don't get any.

A sloppy mix event makes irritable to the point that my family even notices.

I cannot stand hot weather... I love a pleasant summer day, but the heat and humidity can go scratch. The g/f wants to retire to florida in 10 years... I told her "go ahead, have a good time, no way in hell I am ever living down there" ...

There is something about a snow storm, that surpasses even severe weather for me (I am a severe weather nut). I love to be in it, be part of it, track it, watch it, shovel it, and play with the kids in it. When I was a kid, I was outside during the winter for as long as I could stand it. I would go for walks in the snow while it was falling. There is nothing better than being outside on a cold, clear night. Arctic blast?? I say bring it on, especially if it is preceded by a few inches of new snow.

:snowwindow::snowman::snowman::snowman:

I love winter. Always have. Snow is my friend, and I hate it when we don't get any.

A sloppy mix event makes irritable to the point that my family even notices.

I cannot stand hot weather... I love a pleasant summer day, but the heat and humidity can go scratch. The g/f wants to retire to florida in 10 years... I told her "go ahead, have a good time, no way in hell I am ever living down there" ...

There is something about a snow storm, that surpasses even severe weather for me (I am a severe weather nut). I love to be in it, be part of it, track it, watch it, shovel it, and play with the kids in it. When I was a kid, I was outside during the winter for as long as I could stand it. I would go for walks in the snow while it was falling. There is nothing better than being outside on a cold, clear night. Arctic blast?? I say bring it on, especially if it is preceded by a few inches of new snow.

:snowwindow::snowman::snowman::snowman:

I hate rain in winter. Yeah, my wife gets mad at me when I get in a bad mood about the weather and lack of snow.

I hear you about warm weather. No thanks. Florida in the summer is miserable. I can't stand heat & humidity!

I'll echo the beautiful scenery reasons behind loving snow. Granted the real big dogs are limited, but there's something about a "shutdown the town" snowstorm. In a day and age that seems like hectic rules the day, it's nice to me for everyone to slow down for a day or two...peacefulness reigns supreme. We had that here with the Feb 2007 blizzard and it was like time stood still for 48 hours. It was glorious. Even the 6-8" type snows are enough to slow things down a bit here. Regardless, that's probably a bit pollyanna-ish (if that's the right term) of me but my belief remains.

As for getting too involved with snowstorms or tracking modeled snowstorms, I've gotten a lot better in recent years. :lol: 5 years ago, missing out on a snowstorm was a little crushing...and I probably took things too seriously. These days, and it's probably understanding my location and the realization that's it's not a very snowy place typically, I'm much more at ease with missing out. I have chosen to really enjoy whatever snow does fall, whether it be 1-2" type deals or 4-6" events or whatever. Snow is snow to me, in whatever quantity or quality. It probably explains why I've been so giddy about this winter here. 32.5" of snow so far, which is pretty top shelf for LAF in late January, but nothing over 5" in one storm. And it doesn't bother me one bit that's it come in the form of nickels and dimes. Things could be much much worse...and have been, when it comes to winter here.

My love of snow is a subset of my general weather interest. However, snow is special to me in comparison to other wx phenomenon. It's the only precipitation type that causes me to lose sleep, to skip classes, to schedule other activities around. Jan 1999 is a good guess as to when this obsession was solidified for myself. To watch a metropolis come to a standstill by frozen flakes of water really put me in awe of its power. It's almost as with each winter the quest begins to replicate Jan 1999 again.

As Tim mentioned, the aestethics of snow are also a big part of why I love it. Everything about snow is beautiful, whether it's falling from the sky, piling up in your driveway, or those pillowy snow mounds left behind after a storm. It's picturesque.

It's tough to put this passion I have for snow into words adequately. But hopefully everybody gets the jist of what I'm trying to say.

moved

For me its a little Freudian. My first lust as a teen was Julie Christie in Dr. Zhavago. The romance set in the arctic Siberian tundra combined into a wunderlust for blonde's and snow storms. Married a brunette 30 years ago...so all I have to rekindle my youth is the never fulfilled 30 inch blizzard....followed by -30 temps. If only I live that long to see it someday!

Archived