e46ds1x
    Newest Member
    e46ds1x
Richmond Metro/ Hampton roads obs/disco winter thread

Midlo Snow Maker

• Replies 3.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What would a winter be without McGuirk's steaming pile of negativity...

(Im not trying to knock, I find it amusing most of the time. I think we both need to move to Mammoth, CA [400" yr avg.] to be happy snow-wise.)

I'm not being negative. Without an arctic high in place, you can only expect so much cold air to remain at the surface. Besides, this doesn't look like a big system unless we can get the surface and upper level low to hook up. But if that happens, it's likely a mid-western storm as this is a La-Nina winter.

What would a winter be without McGuirk's steaming pile of negativity...

(Im not trying to knock, I find it amusing most of the time. I think we both need to move to Mammoth, CA [400" yr avg.] to be happy snow-wise.)

Considering this is Hampton Roads I think it is fair to be cautious about any threat

There's no arctic high to the north.

This is mainly a rain event.

Okay, it's an in-situation CAD event.

ice to rain, IMO.

Snow accumulation maps had a stripe of 6-8" just south of RIC. All the amounts matched up well with the frame of 6hr precip on the previous page. But.... it doesn't really matter. It's the dgex.

Guest someguy

I'm not being negative. Without an arctic high in place, you can only expect so much cold air to remain at the surface. Besides, this doesn't look like a big system unless we can get the surface and upper level low to hook up. But if that happens, it's likely a mid-western storm as this is a La-Nina winter.

this is really poor grasp of the science

Guest someguy

STRONGLY AGREE

over running events is one of the things the NAM does kind of well with

Its probably a little bit out to lunch but the 18z name came in looking pretty far north and stronger with the potential Thursday threat.

nam_pcp_084m.gif

nam_500_084m.gif

Compared to the GFS... 12z run...

gfs_pcp_090m.gif

gfs_500_090m.gif

Major difference and how it handles the upstream shortwaves over the plains...

That 0z GFS solution would be quite painful.

I swear to fooking god I am moving north if that track happens verbatim. At least there is plenty of time for the low to move east a bit. The euro had a better solution for us. Have to see what the euro produces tonight. Time for coffee.

Archived