Jump to content

GaWx

Members
  • Posts

    19,760
  • Joined

Posts posted by GaWx

  1. Suffolk power outages have increased to the highest I’ve seen there for this storm at 3.2% or 20.6K:

    https://poweroutage.us/area/county/830

    ——————

    Also: due to visibility

    Due to WEATHER / LOW VISIBILITY, there is a Traffic Management Program in effect for traffic arriving La Guardia Airport, New York, NY (LGA). This is causing some arriving flights to be delayed an average of 51 minutes. To see if you may be affected, select your departure airport and check "Delays by Destination".
    Delays by Destination: 
    • Due to WEATHER / LOW VISIBILITY, departure traffic destined to La Guardia Airport, New York, NY (LGA) is currently experiencing delays averaging 51 minutes.

     

    • Like 1
  2. 32 minutes ago, EasternLI said:

    Ok here we go, this is great to see. We've been waiting for the recurving typhoons to show up and now it sure seems like they very well could be. We had that one occur what about a week ago now albeit not very impressive at all. My read on that one was I took it as a baby step. Now we have another one slated to do so. Typhoon Surigae.

     

    6QnA1zU.gif

     

    Beyond this one. It looks like chances are pretty good for another one to follow in about another week's time. As most models as of this morning give that impression. Sending these into the north pacific adds the fuel to help fire an Aleutian low. Wouldn't you know it, we're seeing a semblance of one on ensembles now. I don't think these things are unrelated and it will be really interesting to follow this. Feels right on time during October too.

     

    UeUm7ZC.gif

    K17vcPs.png

    Oct 5-11 has been similarly cool/warm in the E/W 1/2 of the U.S. for 4 runs:

    IMG_2666.thumb.webp.f57e1479334b6e6e81e973d5c40f5781.webp

    • Like 3
  3. 17 minutes ago, the_other_guy said:

    We didnt cancel 1 flight. Until 4pm, there were no ATC delays at all. Simply wasnt weather to call for it.

     

    Saturday schedule is also much reduced at LGA. They can operate on one runway easily. JFK is going 7 days a week

    Thanks. Does that mean tomorrow PM could return to big delays at LGA like yesterday? I’m asking because my nephew has a 4PM flight leaving from there.

  4. Delays are currently much shorter on avg vs last evening at LaGuardia, when they were nearing 3 hrs…maybe then will turn out to be the worst of it??

    LaGuardia Airport (LGA) is currently reporting normal operations with general departure and arrival delays of 15 minutes or less, according to the FAA Airspace System Status.
    • Arrival Delays: Airborne delays are 15 minutes or less.
    • Departure Delays: Gate hold and taxi delays are lasting 15 minutes or less.
    • Weather/Status: Previous weather-related ground delays from earlier in the weekend have cleared, and current FAA status shows normal conditions.
  5. 42 minutes ago, michsnowfreak said:

    That cold map is for Oct 5-12.

    7 hours ago, Typhoon Tip said:

    That seems diametrical to the current operation guidance,   CMC/GFS/EURO     All three have 564 to 570+ hydrostatic heights, with W to SW/NW off shore components, Wed thru Sat.  

    Now ...this may differ from ens mean/bulk signaling and telecon indexes therefrom, et al... not sure, haven't checked. But, the operational runs are warmer than just mild those 4 days as of these last 00z guidance

    Thank you! I had a brain malfunction! I edited my original post to point to the error and correction of dates. I apologize for my mistake.

     The new map for Oct 5-11 has a slightly stronger cold signal than yesterday’s:

    IMG_2649.thumb.webp.10197b5fff779f2dd838693e525581ee.webp 
     

    H5:

    IMG_2650.thumb.webp.d245dbe085256be51bccdb96c687e3c9.webp

    @mitchnick

    • Like 3
  6.  I’m not saying the Euro is necessarily going to be right. But I’m passing this along because it’s objectively determined and easily available to the wx community. So fwiw:

     The new Euro ensemble (12Z) maintains the 90-100% chance that the 0Z and 6Z had for a tropical storm to form from this:

    IMG_2648.thumb.webp.d1c0d3e27e3951dd3c649731d7429c80.webp

    The run from just 24 hrs earlier for the same period had only just over 70% for the chance:

    IMG_2647.thumb.webp.d6c92c0c5b569e551a10d4fd2df07fd8.webp

    • Weenie 1
  7. I’ve only rarely seen these very comfy conditions here this early in autumn, especially in recent decades:

    SKY/WX TMP DP RH WIND PRES REMARKS 
    SAVANNAH ARPT MOSUNNY  75 53 46 N10 30.02F 
    HUNTER AAF SUNNY  75 53 45 N5 29.98F

    • Like 1
  8. 9 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

    I understand how this stuff is to be interpreted.  

    I'm looking at the particulars of the synoptic parameters spanning those 4 days.   Thu and Fri in particular are much warmer than normal.  not -1   ...more like +15 off of the last two consec runs of the GFS operational.  

    570 thickness would support 87 F even this late in the year by the way.  I've seen 82 F as recent as 2020 up here in SNE on November 7-10 (after it Halloween snowed that year) Indian Summer, under 850s around +14C and sun so sloped one's shadows were 30 feet long.  We can definitely still get it done.  

     

    Thanks.

    1. I understand and perhaps this will bust too cool. We’ll see.

    2. Let’s see if today’s update is warmer.

    2. You may have not seen my edit:

     “Keep in mind that this was based on yesterday’s 0Z Euro ens (the latest Euro Weeklies output available til after 4PM EDT today).”

     

  9. 22 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

    That seems diametrical to the current operation guidance,   CMC/GFS/EURO     All three have 564 to 570+ hydrostatic heights, with W to SW/NW off shore components, Wed thru Sat.  

    Now ...this may differ from ens mean/bulk signaling and telecon indexes therefrom, et al... not sure, haven't checked. But, the operational runs are warmer than just mild those 4 days as of these last 00z guidance

    John,

     Keep in mind that this was based on yesterday’s 0Z Euro ens (the latest Euro Weeklies output available til after 4PM EDT today), the 2nd shade of blue is -1 to -3C (so much of it for 9/28-10/3 could conceivably be closer to the -1C boundary), and this product uses a warmer climo base than most, the last 20 years:

    • re-forecasts are derived by re-running an 11-member ensemble (1 control and 10 perturbed members) using the same calendar start date for each of the last 20 years.

    *Edited

×
×
  • Create New...