I’ll second the post from above and say, with 100% certainty that there’s no way this winter will be as bad as last year. The WDI will Trump any other acronyms this go around. The winter doesn’t exactly have to do much to top that fiasco.
I think analog forecasting isn’t all that great. Sure it will work most of the time just like predicting median snowfall will have you looking decent in the end. But I’d venture to say that there’s been more than enough winters that would have gone strongly against whatever analogs that would have been used to predict them. What would the analogs have said heading into 95-96? 14-15? 15-16?
Some winters are just simply gonna bust the analogs. Some good. Some bad. And winter can be so tricky with luck and timing. I have no idea what the general patterns and stats look like in retrospect for the winter of 18-19 but the lasting impression of that winter is that it was pretty good. We had enough snow and enough cold that it felt like we had had a winter. And perception is reality regardless of what any final numbers may say.
I’ll say this much for that post ... it’s an absolute fact that we don’t see clippers of late. That’s puzzled me for a while. I’ve even made mention of that myself.
12-13 and 13-14 were cold neutrals or weak Ninas. Not sure if the Nina threshold. Regardless, there are other factors. Last year was almost a carbon copy of the 2014-2015 Enso conditions. Just a little bit different though in the outcome.
Can anyone give me the link that will take me where this link used to take me? It leads to Twitter now.
https://ads.nipr.ac.jp/vishop.ver1/vishop-extent.html
The whole idea speaks to the arrogance of humans.
Weve pretty much always been guided by the notion that we can mold the earth into what we want it to be instead of adapting and living in harmony with it. You could argue that it's that very notion that got us to this point in the first place.