Jump to content

Stormfly

Members
  • Posts

    1,574
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Everything posted by Stormfly

  1. ETA for Belize? Sorry, could not resist. Speaking of resist could you imagine getting all the way to Ω before Thanksgiving in the 'States?
  2. You're right, replace warm with snow drought and it would be correct. ;-)
  3. 2009-10... December, then Jan was warm and Feb came along. So yes. Have to wonder if we'll ever see another year like that in our lifetimes. The best events just seemingly come out of nowhere. ;-)
  4. I saw that map and thought it was snow total for a single storm. ROFL!
  5. It's going to be a M winter. Where the M stands for mud. Yeah it will be cold and dry and every time there's precip it will be warm enough to be rain. That's Maryland winters for you. And if it's going to snow, it needs to be thundersnow. Imagine an all night snow storm with thunder and lightning. :-D
  6. Jan 25, 2000... I like surprises but that one was the best! https://earthobservatory.nasa.gov/features/Blizzard
  7. Looks like someone had an accident with a can of Krylon ultra flat black!
  8. LOL seems like there's always a port-a-potty going down anywhere there's winds over 50knots. Imagine being in there and a sudden gust tosses it over! Ugh!
  9. Feb 10, 2010, the second storm in the back to back blizzards of 2010. Storms like those are somewhat rare for us but they do happen as you know. Maybe 2021 will give us PDIII. :-D 09-10 was definitely a good winter, well remembered. Of course the majority of the snow was gone by Christmas in 2009 which was a bummer. I remember reaching the riding trails for the first time after those storms and still managed to high center my diesel Arctic Cat! That was March 09.10 and evidence of 20' plus drifts were present which isn't surprising when the wind has 250 acres of barren field to rip through until it reaches the tree line full of mature spruce and balsam pines.
  10. Going on 11 years, and 2-3 year frequency would be fine. I know I'm about 500 miles too far south and east but still... It's been nearly 27 years since we had ice over snow so thick it could be driven on... Those are fun, countless hours of donuts @WOT on the four wheelers without risk of dying (most winters ponds freeze solid but only a handful get thick enough to assure breakthrough risk is nearly non existent).
  11. Surprises are the best. A redux of 2010, OTOH, as much as I didn't enjoy plowing that much snow off the lane, I have to say I could go for that! This is one of my favorite shots. I took this looking back up towards the house after making a few passes. The piles of snow were close to 14' high!
  12. 82-83 would be OK with me! Cold December with snow, record Jan warmth and Blockbuster storm in Feb. Summer of '83 also featured high severe level events. Some expecting quarterly snowpack need to move. Just a few hour drive northwesterly should do. Otherwise Labrador or Longyearbyen will have to suffice!
  13. Did someone say Jonas? I enjoyed that storm, earliest lock in memory and it just snowed its ass off! I'd rank it only behind 1996 because of the second storm after that overperformed. Of course overall, best winter by far was 09-10. Just don't see that around this area. Have to head up to the lakes for that.
  14. This expected warmth and expectation of a snow less winter may be just what snow lovers want. After all, it seems when we expect the worst (or the best) the exact opposite occurs. In any case, our plows and blowers are always ready for whatever may come this way.
  15. Another 1995 or 2005 with record US landfalls is going to make insurance go through the roof for everyone! Hopefully there won't be another China [sheetrock] syndrome!
×
×
  • Create New...