Jump to content

40/70 Benchmark

Members
  • Posts

    79,569
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Everything posted by 40/70 Benchmark

  1. I love the Cleveland Indians and Washington Red Skins.....Chief Wahoo FTW.
  2. 1963 and 1968 (both -PDO) are the only El Nino events of appreciable intensity....1958, 1976 and 1977, like 2004, were weak.
  3. Yes, I have always been with you on that. Interesting you note the weak signal nationally because some of the seasonal guidance has been hinting that December maybe colder than January and February in the NE.
  4. I know that.....I mean the entire list of cold arctic years.
  5. I would not expect that this year....1997 was low, ascending solar with a strong easterly QBO...very odd timing for a super-El Nino. This year fits the bill with W QBO and descending solar. Good luck with early blocking. 1997 is a very poor polar analog...our chances will come later this year.
  6. 2004 was a weak El Nino...any other warm ENSO years on that list?
  7. I'd just assume worm-hole to Columbus Day weekend...or indigenous ass-parade, or whatever in the hell the libs call it these days. PS: It's Columbus Day.....he sailed the ocean blue-deal with it.
  8. I agree....they way I interpret that is some second half volatility. I don't see the season averaging -NAO. I think wave reflection is the path this year....like 1983. I don't think a reversal is in the cards. Guidance may try to flag one, and then back off.
  9. I was just thinking that this is likely our way out of the 2023-redux hell.....the EPO and WPO were both dreadful, and we seem to have seen a bit of a decadal shift in that respect after a several year stretch that was pretty bad. Your NAO period is about done....must have largely neutralized...
  10. Yep....no doubt. I don't dispute any of that...the neutralization of the PDO is a guess on my part.
  11. @Stormchaserchuck1What are your thoughts on this with respect to the potential influence of the lower PDO and record warm eastern flank of ENSO? residual cool ENSO influence in combination with the record OHC over the eastern half of the ENSO region is one key factor that may be cause for some deviation from that season with respect to both the predominate storm track, as well as the temperature pattern over the southern and eastern US.
  12. I still think it will eventually spike to near neutral.
  13. I've seen him....but sorry, that makes absolutely no sense to me. All that will do in an El Nino is act to raise se heights, which makes it warmer and adds an element of destructive interference to opportunities for east coast cyclogenesis.
  14. This is the trap that I fell into going into the 2023-2024 season....all it means is competing forces, but there are no guarantees that the "forces" are good. I bombed that season, but haven't had a bad one since....learned a ton.
  15. Funny you mention that because this is my early-front runner-plot for December: Note the location of the ridge relative to the position on the EURO seasonal:
  16. .71" rainfall on the day in Methuen, 1.06" Sunday, .58" Saturday, .03" Friday for a 4-day event total of 2.38"
  17. A couple of guys online, Ryan Hall and Mark Margavage, seem to think the -PDO could have a colder influence in the east because the monster GOA low that triggers the huge Pac jet may not be. I don't think that makes sense....-PDO/El Niño is worse heights are higher in the se and any cool ENSO influence is like a Modoki La Niña constructively interfering with east-based El Niño, so the any Aleutian riding would likely not be poleward. Weenie-logic. I'm with Chris on that.
  18. I think we all would take anything over MC forcing, which is the worst.....another thing to think about is if this El Nino is strong enough to pull all of the forcing east, as Chris seems to imply, then that would eradicate any MC influence....which he has stated in the past has acted to accentuate the warmth in recent El Nino events relative to past events, so this season could end up a bit cooler due to that....lots to think about. A bit of MC influence could leak into central forcing, but not east.
×
×
  • Create New...