• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
2013 Florida wet season

Miami summertime storms are the best. That storm on Friday was impressive, it had great inflow and very strong updrafts. Right when it was about to die, an outflow boundary hit from the west and kept it going for an extra hour. We picked up somewhere around 3-5" of rain in the Gables.

500 mb temps drop on Wednesday and Thursday this week which should result in strong convection again.

HRRR keeps everything focused along the west coast today, although the easterlies weren't all that strong on this morning's sounding so I'm a bit surprised.  Radar shows this morning's convection moving to the NW and some isolated cells offshore.  Hoping one of them survives long enough to make things interesting here later this evening. 

Oh, and that strong easterly breeze created a nice rip current at the beach my friends and I were on near Hollywood. We played in it for a bit. We only stayed waist deep as we knew it was a rip current. It was fun to see the current carrying the sand away out to sea. Neat stuff. I'll try to post a picture of it once I get to better Internet.

Oh, and that strong easterly breeze created a nice rip current at the beach my friends and I were on near Hollywood. We played in it for a bit. We only stayed waist deep as we knew it was a rip current. It was fun to see the current carrying the sand away out to sea. Neat stuff. I'll try to post a picture of it once I get to better Internet.

Glad you had a good time, and didn't get swept out to sea! :thumbsup:

NWS only has a 20% chance of rain today.  I think they're underplaying the threat, with 500 mb temps -2 s.d. and PW +1 s.d. 

• 2 weeks later...

MIA only picked up 0.02" total during the last 7 day period (Jun 13-19), an unusual dry spell for what is climatologically the wettest month of the year. 

For comparison, climo is currently 0.36" per day!  That said, we're still 2.60" above normal year-to-date thanks to an extremely wet May. 

• 4 weeks later...

Officially 2.99 at kapf so far today, it feels like more though. Woke up wife, daddy and baby at 330amish...and seems like its only stopped for a little bit. Aiport is literally in the backyard here, neighborhood fairly flooded.

What a cool, wet July it has been! Miami averages 17 90-degree days per July. This July we've only had 1 90-degree day so far!

Additionally, our average high/low for July 17 is 91/77. Yesterday, we only got up to 78 with 3.20" of rain in 24 h!

Wow, impressive. 78 in Miami? I don't believe that they have only seen one 90 degree day. That doesn't right lol.

Edit: Wow you weren't lying. http://www.accuweather.com/en/us/miami-fl/33128/july-weather/347936

One thing I noticed is that lake O is getting very close to flood stage even though they're draining it, if they dont get some days of dry weather there's going to be flooding at the lake

Whether it's too high or too low, the Army Corps of Engineers' handling of Lake Okeechobee results in a small-scale disaster on a yearly basis. 

http://www.miamiherald.com/2013/07/25/3522302/lake-o-dumping-spells-pollution.html

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Looks like a frontal boundary intends to dip southeastward and stall over Lake Okeechobee from today to monday, which will exacerbate the flood situation in South Florida.  It has been relatively dry over the last few week compared to normal summertime rainfall averages in Miami and Fort Lauderdale Metropolitan Area. However, the West Coast has received a continuous soaking throughout the last few months.

This is not good for the flooding situation in Collier and Palm Beach counties and Okeechobee dyke situation.  These places have been bombarded all summer. However, I recently read an article  that the particularly dangerous situation at Okeechobee appears to be subsiding. 

It appears the storms today, like yesterday, will have the capability of dropping 2-6 inches of rain over the Lake Okeechobee area, as well as Palm Beach, Martin and Collier Counties through 6 PM.  Then focus should shift to Collier, Broward, southern Hendry, southern Palm Beach, and perhaps Northern Dade by 6 to 8PM and last into the late evening as the front shifts its focus.  PWATS range from 2-2.4 inches in these areas, and instability is rising due to the areas to the south receiving around 4-6  hours of sunlight  I am expecting the return of pro-longed thunderstorms this evening as well as late boomers coming into the eastern coastal areas from the easterly flow as well as the outflow boundary generated by the evening storms to northwest.  These two features (the ocean front and outflow boundary) will collide over an area and extend the duration of showers into the midnight-3AM hours.  I expect a general 1.5-3 inches in the areas I highlighted with pockets of 8-10 inches where the thunderstorms and heavy rain bands persist for the next 2 to 4 hours. Its important to note that the showers will continue to slow in momentum as there isn't anything to kick these storms out of the area other than dissipation.   

Tomorrow, forecasters expect the frontal boundary to continue to move southeastward toward Central Broward and Collier Counties.  However, the situation is subject to change, because these frontal boundaries have a tendency to lift north from Okeechobee.  If the front washes out in some of the most vulnerable areas, we might be looking at flood advisors and warnings later tonight and tomorrow.   

• 2 weeks later...

Getting absolutely rocked by thunderstorms for the second time today.  Had 4 severe wind reports within Dade county this morning, now we're dealing with another round and some nasty CG lightning. 

By the way, cold 500 mb temps combined with a very warm and moist boundary layer supporting >3500 j/kg SB CAPE with MU CAPE >4100 on tonight's 00Z sounding. 

Archived