joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Lawn & Garden Thread

POWERSTROKE

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You can use a product called -milky spore , and put it on the lawn, it kills the white grubs that are the larvae of the beetles! When you dig up your yard to plant things and you see those 1/2 inch white grubs, they are the larvae ! You can use a "systemic" product , like Bayer advance, you pour it around the tree, and the roots take it up its vascular system to the leaves and when they eat the leaves, they die! The only natural remedy is spraying off with a strong hose spray or pluck/knock them off! They really love: fruit trees, crape myrtles, and rose bushes, but will eat about any leaves they can find! Their handy work looks like the leaves are "skeletonized" and only veins are left on leaves!

• 2 weeks later...

Vinegar and Epsom salt works great at killing weeds and fescue!!!!

I find 100° and no water works as well on fescue ;)

I've found a solution to kill bermuda in zoysia, something big box retailers aren't willing to provide.  It is a diluted mixture of fluazifop and triclopyr.  Both of these chemicals can be found at the big box retailers in the handheld spray bottles Grass b Gon and Poison Ivy and Brush Killer.  Just make sure you don't use the concentrated version you attach to the hose.  It stunts the zoysia for a few weeks, but completely wipes out the bermuda.  Use it in about a 4:1 ratio of water to chemicals and at a little dish soap for a surfactant.  Just be careful to get your mixture right and spray only one light coat, otherwise you may end up killing everything.

Year 16 for the weed yard without fertilizing or watering, ever.  Mulch mow every time and mulch mow the leaves in the fall. Took this a few minutes ago as I finished mowing.  I was still sitting on the mower.  This is my side yard.  You can see my weather station.  Not as uniformly green as the "high priced" lawns, but green enough for me for midsummer.

medium800.jpg

Year 16 for the weed yard without fertilizing or watering, ever.  Mulch mow every time and mulch mow the leaves in the fall. Took this a few minutes ago as I finished mowing.  I was still sitting on the mower.  This is my side yard.  You can see my weather station.  Not as uniformly green as the "high priced" lawns, but green enough for me for midsummer.

medium800.jpg

Got me beat. Nice work sir.

My yard is much smaller but looks the same. I don't do anything to it. It all looks green, so that's good enough for me. My backyard is wooded, so I don't even have to worry about it. Have a little dirty path between the house and the woods, a rock path to the swing under the trees, and a little clearing for the kid's playset.

Here's a bagworm infestation , on my golden globe arborvitae ! Basically showed up overnight! I think I've killed them and saved the shrub!? These things can kill an evergreen in a few weeks time! I noticed them in early July ! After some research, they emerge in June as worms and that's the best time to kill them, spray the foliage and as they eat it , they will die. They strip the foliage to eat and form their bags. Once the bags are brown and over an inch long, NO pesticide will penetrate or kill the bag. The bags contain a female and she will lay 1000 eggs in each bag! They will overwinter in the bag and emerge in early summer! They really love : arborvitae , Leylands cypress, and other evergreens! If you notice a few, you can just pick em off and destroy them! Pests attack trees and shrubs when they are under stress and this lack of rain has really put vegetation under extreme stress, as well as the extreme heat!

I think I have a new pet black snake living in my yard.  2nd time I've seen it in the last 3 days.  Pretty good looking adult and about 4 feet long.  Friendly too :)  It let me get right up at it and just lazily slithered away.  First time I saw it, it was laying across the top of a shovel leaning against the shed.  Put my hand about a foot from its head before I saw it and scared me to death.

I'm hoping it solves my squirrel and rabbit problem.  Those things have destroyed my winter garden 2 years in a row.  This year, at least so far this summer, I haven't seen hardly any squirrels in the yard.  Still rabbits everywhere though.  I can't go outside without seeing at least one it seems like.

Took some pics of the koi pond.  Need to finish some work on the waterfall, so some of the rocks are missing.  I've got a tadpole infestation right now.  Hundreds of them everywhere after the rain the past week.  Can't believe the koi didn't eat them when they were still small.  As you can see there is nothing left of my water lilies thanks to the piggies.

EBgLkqp.jpg

hJXHYVB.jpg

6QBse72.jpg

cWWIdMc.jpg

wtrV91B.jpg

bhb8rhZ.jpg

CCsrIyR.jpg

Took some pics of the koi pond.  Need to finish some work on the waterfall, so some of the rocks are missing.  I've got a tadpole infestation right now.  Hundreds of them everywhere after the rain the past week.  Can't believe the koi didn't eat them when they were still small.  As you can see there is nothing left of my water lilies thanks to the piggies.

EBgLkqp.jpg

hJXHYVB.jpg

6QBse72.jpg

cWWIdMc.jpg

Very nice, just added two white butterflies myself.  My Koi have been so prolific its time to move some down to the big pond.

My lilies are finally blooming.

Very nice.  I'm afraid I may have to expand the pond again because the koi are growing so fast, and because I keep adding a new one every year.  The orange one with the blueish back was the only one that was born in the pond.  I'm pretty sure the parents are the blue one (male) and the orange butterfly.  The yellow one with the black stripes I bought this year, and have had to save it twice with salt baths due to parasites.  I found it floating upside down almost dead one day.  Then it flopped out of the hospital tank I set up and I had to resuscitate it again.  I had a lotus in the pond until this year, but it didn't survive the winter.  Here are some pics from last year.

EwbSmyG.jpg

7QF3AcU.jpg

hFzwKJY.jpg

Dx4NXa1.jpg

LqOofGe.jpg

Wow, that's nice. I will add a lotus next year. I've got one more small Koi pond (1000 gallon) going in on the other side of the deck. I'm hoping to make the big farm pond all Koi sometime in the future. Parasites are the worst. I've had all kinds of fish since I was 15 and have always had to fight the parasites. Copper still seems to be the only way to treat for them.

Be careful when the koi get this big !

Speaking of piggies haha.

My koi never stop eating.  I can go out any time of the day and here them sucking on the bricks and rocks around the pond, trying to pull out whatever they can find.  I'll sometimes dig up earthworms from the garden and give them a treat.  That's one of their favorites.  They also like just about any other fruit or vegetable.  I'll take a large watermelon and throw a round slice in there and they have it devoured in about 15 minutes.

Speaking of piggies haha.

My koi never stop eating.  I can go out any time of the day and here them sucking on the bricks and rocks around the pond, trying to pull out whatever they can find.  I'll sometimes dig up earthworms from the garden and give them a treat.  That's one of their favorites.  They also like just about any other fruit or vegetable.  I'll take a large watermelon and throw a round slice in there and they have it devoured in about 15 minutes.

Mine ate a small snake the other day.

Archived