• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
OK/AR/KS/MO Winter 2014-15 Discussion

What an absolutely fantastic day for mid August! Best. August. Day. Ever!

Let's hope Doug Heady's pattern has this storm coming back around in late December. :)

I about skyrocketed out of bed this morning with a thunder boom that sounded like a dynamite blast right outside my bedroom window!

It is good to hope for signs of any pattern starting up besides the various placement of the 40 day death ridge. Definitely an awesome August day for sure.

If there is merit to the pattern you mention, it would have to repeat itself in October as well if I'm not mistaken. It is possible because after the next typhoon induced cold front I think we go back to a July look (only cooler) for September. We shall see. I look forward to having to wear sleeves tomorrow morning at work though. :-)

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What an absolutely fantastic day for mid August! Best. August. Day. Ever!

Let's hope Doug Heady's pattern has this storm coming back around in late December. :)

I about skyrocketed out of bed this morning with a thunder boom that sounded like a dynamite blast right outside my bedroom window!

I had the thunder thing happen at about 5 AM. Loudest thunder I have heard in a long time, shook the whole house. 

IRI Plume for El Nino has updated for August:

figure4.gif

Peaks at around 2.3 average for all models. The same peak as 1997-1998. The dynamic models actually peak higher at 2.5, while the statistical models peak at 1.9.

Awesome stuff. So my guess is to take the under vs 97-98? I don't honestly think we'll make it that high but who knows. That is still a pretty huge spread to the eye at least.

Anyone have any new thoughts or ideas for the upcoming winter?

Early cool season preview?

The low of 50F at Will Rogers World Airport in Oklahoma City OKC appears to be the lowest temperature there in August since 1915.

The only other dates with 50F or lower minimum temperatures in August at OKC are:

8/23/1891: 49F

8/24/1891: 50F

8/29/1893: 50F

8/30/1915: 49F

I was going to post the 30 day CFSv2 map to show if there was any change from the ones I posted back in July, but I compared them and there is very little change at all. The Aleutian low is maybe a hair farther NE on the Dec map but the other maps are nearly the same. 

Weatherbell has an updated winter forecast. Mentioned Dec might be warm, with Feb probably being the coldest month. Around here temp wise... -1 to -3 in Southern Missouri. From the AR/OK border south including all of AR and OK -3 to -5.

Snowfall looks to be around normal around most of our area, with areas from probably just south of Tulsa to Fayetteville and points south at 150% of normal, or above normal.

Analogs, 1957-58, 2014-15, 1997-98, 2002-03, 1972-73. With some other years factored in as well.

JoMo what time frame are the temps? Is that the winter as an average or just one month?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A

Expect a 'back loaded' winter, but if December is colder than expected, than the temps will need to be adjusted colder.

Yeah, it's more of a Euro/SST CA modeled winter, or that's the primary guidance, believing that the CFS v2 is too far east with the Aleutian low and too warm.

This is excellent news. Thank you again for the update! There are some winners in that list and some losers also.

Archived