• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
2011 Global Temperatures

iceicebyebye

The land-ocean table shows +0.48°C for November: http://data.giss.nas...GLB.Ts+dSST.txt

Are you using a different source for GISS?

I just want to make sure that I have the most up-to-date link.

Don,

I have a very slightly different address http://data.giss.nasa.gov/gistemp/tabledata/GLB.Ts+dSST.txt

Do you know why they are different?

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

NCDC is much more similar to GISS than it is too HadCRUT.

smaller grid boxes is not better at all. The only thing that matters is the number of stations being used, which GISS has just as many as the others.

And your last statement is completely false. HadCRUT+UAH infilling gives more warming than GISS, and is the warmest possible source of all.

All of the differences between GISS and HadCRUT over the last 14 years have been due to differences in the SST data used and the fact that HadCRUT leaves the arctic blank, while GISS forms a reasonably accurate approximation.

1) Of course NCDC is more similar to GISS than HADCRUT3, because it includes the Arctic while HADCRUT3 chuses not to extrapolate without data, The Arctic has warmed significantly so it will alter the global trend, but with same coverage + smaller extrapolations uncertainty is reduced over GISS which for the globe outside the Arctic it is slightly cooler than GISS. Since NCDC is also more in line with the rest of the datasets it might be a safer bet, GISS is the warm outlier among the mainstream sources so the datasource that agrees with the others, contains less extrapolation, and frankly (no offense) isn't run by an activist, just gives me a more secure feeling. Feel free to disagree but I never have and never will use GISS for surface reference.

2) No, HADCRUT3 outside the Arctic is cooler than GISS, as is NCDC, except GISS has larger areas without data over the global than HADCRUT3. I don't mind either using NCDC or HADCRUT3 w/ UAH infilling over the poles.

Don,

I have a very slightly different address http://data.giss.nas...GLB.Ts+dSST.txt

Do you know why they are different?

LEK,

That's the version 2 link. That link has been replaced with version 3.

http://data.giss.nasa.gov/gistemp/

The above link has some commentary on the change, but technical details are not yet available as far as I know.

Might not be enough to avoid a negative departure. Seeing the strong vortexes at both poles (less net cloudiness between 30N and 30S) I am surprised at how cold we've run without a potent La Nina but perhaps the cooling AMO has a role in it.

Oh my God, isn't it amazing how cold this year has been. The ice age approaches!

The combined global land and ocean average surface temperature for the January – November period was 0.52°C (0.94°F) above the 20th century average of 14.0°C (57.2°F), making it the 11th warmest such period on record. The margin of error is +/- 0.09°C (0.16°F).

NCDC

Oh my God, isn't it amazing how cold this year has been. The ice age approaches!

NCDC

Never said it was cold, obviously the globe is very warm right now and will be warm for several more years, but I would have expected more warmth with the weaker ENSO and strong vortexes on both poles, in the SH specifically.

Also, the warmer atmosphere during these past 2 Ninas is/was favored by the geomag theory. Geomag theory also brings about big change in 2012. AMO goes negative, and the cooling begins shortly thereafter.

Never said it was cold, obviously the globe is very warm right now and will be warm for several more years, but I would have expected more warmth with the weaker ENSO and strong vortexes on both poles, in the SH specifically.

Also, the warmer atmosphere during these past 2 Ninas is/was favored by the geomag theory. Geomag theory also brings about big change in 2012. AMO goes negative, and the cooling begins shortly thereafter.

People here are not really interested in your latest pet theory.

You did say it is cold, for obvious reasons.

Might not be enough to avoid a negative departure. Seeing the strong vortexes at both poles (less net cloudiness between 30N and 30S) I am surprised at how cold we've run without a potent La Nina but perhaps the cooling AMO has a role in it.

December 2010 on UAH had a .18 anomaly. I highly doubt even with the pretty large cool period that UAH will be negative for December with Channel 5 and 6 both going up so sharply. Channel 5 is now 3rd warmest on this date in the data set. Of course they are all bunched together.

I would assume the surface will be warmer than channel 5. So I would probably expect a .05 to .12 anomaly for the month

December 2010 on UAH had a .18 anomaly. I highly doubt even with the pretty large cool period that UAH will be negative for December with Channel 5 and 6 both going up so sharply. Channel 5 is now 3rd warmest on this date in the data set. Of course they are all bunched together.

I would assume the surface will be warmer than channel 5. So I would probably expect a .05 to

.12 anomaly for the month

Don't forget UAH is being adjusted down with the new drift correction, so unless the rebound keeps up it'll be hard to keep the positive anom.

What is the cut-off date for the correction? Drift is continuous. Is the correction graduated or is it a step like one?

It's more step like, from 2008 onward the spurious warming signal has been uncovered.

AMSU AQUAs spurious warming after 2008 is caused by a deteriorating radiometer not orbital drift. But through analysis when the excess warming was picked up right away the clear increase in "noise" on the AQUA satellite signals it's deterioration, so the new drift formula is to calibate with more weighting of other satellites knowing AQUA is on it's last leg.

I would assume the surface will be warmer than channel 5. So I would probably expect a .05 to .12 anomaly for the month

Certainly not always the case...just check the end of 2007 compared to 2008...'07 was considerably warmer on discover but came in a lot colder on the actual monthlies. Though I do agree that the large spike in the final 10 days of the month should easily keep UAH out of the negative (you would think)...probably in the range you already said. 2011 is now averaging about 0.01C warmer than 2008 for the month.

Does anyone know why this is happening? Of course it is not out of the ordinary, but it is now almost 2nd for this date. After being so low, it really hasn't been that much of a spike, just getting back in the fray.

Also have they fixed the issue?

MJO cycle is going into region 6 shifting convection (clouds/rain/albedo) away from the warmer SSTAs it had predominated over, as well as the greater large anomalies in the NH. The spike period could last a week before falling again but will slow down in a few days. We will spike down when the MJO gets into region 1 or cycles back to where it was during the cooler period.

And no the problem is that AQUA is aging, and is getting increasingly noisy and spurious signals are developing. It is a new drift correction formula AFTER the monthly data is summed up, it won't be seen on the AMSU Discover site.

Please stop, your posts get worse every day. And now Bethesda and co. are going to post every time an all time low is reached.

Here’s more on South Pole Stations record breaking week of weather (Courtesy of South Pole Meteorology Office):

December 24th: The peak wind speed of 29 kts/33 mph broke the previous record of 28 kts/32 mph set in 1996.

December 24th: The temperature of -13.3°C/8.1°F broke the previous maximum temperature record of -15.7°C/3.7°F set in 1984.

December 25th: The temperature of -12.3°C/9.9°F broke the previous maximum temperature record of -17.2°C/1.0°F set in 1978.

December 25th: The temperature of -12.3°C/9.9°F broke the record for the all-time maximum temperature at South Pole.  The previous record of -13.3°C/8.1°F was set on December 24, 2011.

December 30th: The peak wind speed of 25 kts/29 mph broke the previous record of 21 kts/24 mph set in 1989.

Thanks to everyone at South Pole for all of their efforts!

That was from the link. I am not why that is a horrible post. I am not endorsing the Record as valid until I do any research. But it is in the global temperature thread.

Here’s more on South Pole Stations record breaking week of weather (Courtesy of South Pole Meteorology Office):

December 24th: The peak wind speed of 29 kts/33 mph broke the previous record of 28 kts/32 mph set in 1996.

December 24th: The temperature of -13.3°C/8.1°F broke the previous maximum temperature record of -15.7°C/3.7°F set in 1984.

December 25th: The temperature of -12.3°C/9.9°F broke the previous maximum temperature record of -17.2°C/1.0°F set in 1978.

December 25th: The temperature of -12.3°C/9.9°F broke the record for the all-time maximum temperature at South Pole. The previous record of -13.3°C/8.1°F was set on December 24, 2011.

December 30th: The peak wind speed of 25 kts/29 mph broke the previous record of 21 kts/24 mph set in 1989.

Thanks to everyone at South Pole for all of their efforts!

That was from the link. I am not why that is a horrible post. I am not endorsing the Record as valid until I do any research. But it is in the global temperature thread.

Fair point friv, every one of these damn threads breaks down into child like bickering from both sides - they all sound the same and I forgot i was in the temperature one!

globalice.png

Can someone explain albedo to me?

In the case of the Earth, it reflects or scatters back to space 30% of the incident sunlight falling upon it. So, it is said to have an albedo of 0.30. The remaining 70% is absorbed by the atmosphere, land and seas and is the fraction which warms the planet. The moon, if I recall correctly has an albedo of about 0.05...it is very nearly black. Fresh snow has an albedo of about 0.88.

• 2 weeks later...

UAH at +0.13 for December, no change from November

http://www.drroyspen...cember_2011.png

That would actually be a +0.01°C increase from November. That's probably a raw number. The final figure has not yet been posted on the UAH site.

http://vortex.nsstc.uah.edu/data/msu/t2lt/uahncdc.lt

Both that figure and GISS will probably be out within the next two weeks.

That would actually be a +0.01°C increase from November. That's probably a raw number. The final figure has not yet been posted on the UAH site.

http://vortex.nsstc.uah.edu/data/msu/t2lt/uahncdc.lt

Both that figure and GISS will probably be out

within the next two weeks.

The +.13 is a rounded number to 2 decimal places, the 'raw' number differed from December by about 0.008 or something like that, so it is basically no change.

January, February, and March should all hover at around the same level as December, in my opinion.

Archived