• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
Significant/major IL/IN/MI tornado outbreaks

Hoosier

I posted about this in another thread but I figured I'd start a separate one. When we think of the dryline, we think of the Plains because that's where it is usually found due to favorable proximity to the GOM and elevated/mountainous terrain. However, I've found at least 4 cases where this feature or a modified version of it moved much farther east and significant tornado activity occurred. They are 4/3/56, 4/11/65, 4/3/74 and 4/19/96 (I know some of these affected other areas too but my main focus is on the states listed). Cells fired on or ahead of this boundary in all cases.

Here are a couple surface maps. This one is from 4/3/56. Anyone living in western Michigan should know about this day.

http://www.ejssm.org/ojs/index.php/ejssm/article/viewFile/36/36/672

4/19/96

http://journals.ametsoc.org/na101/home/literatum/publisher/ams/journals/content/wefo/2006/15200434-21.4/waf944.1/production/images/medium/i1520-0434-21-4-433-f02.gif

A seasonably strong to unseasonably strong surface low was present every time. Interestingly, all occurred in La Nina years that had a drought in the southern Plains to varying degrees. Perhaps there was some sort of feedback that played a role in tandem with the overall favorable storm setup?

It would be fairly time consuming but it would be interesting to see how often this type of thing happens. Clearly this is not a necessary ingredient for significant tornado activity in these areas as I know of quite a few good tornado setups that did not feature a boundary like this.

I posted about this in another thread but I figured I'd start a separate one. When we think of the dryline, we think of the Plains because that's where it is usually found due to favorable proximity to the GOM and elevated/mountainous terrain. However, I've found at least 4 cases where this feature or a modified version of it moved much farther east and significant tornado activity occurred. They are 4/3/56, 4/11/65, 4/3/74 and 4/19/96 (I know some of these affected other areas too but my main focus is on the states listed). Cells fired on or ahead of this boundary in all cases.

Here are a couple surface maps. This one is from 4/3/56. Anyone living in western Michigan should know about this day.

http://www.ejssm.org/ojs/index.php/ejssm/article/viewFile/36/36/672

4/19/96

http://journals.ametsoc.org/na101/home/literatum/publisher/ams/journals/content/wefo/2006/15200434-21.4/waf944.1/production/images/medium/i1520-0434-21-4-433-f02.gif

A seasonably strong to unseasonably strong surface low was present every time. Interestingly, all occurred in La Nina years that had a drought in the southern Plains to varying degrees. Perhaps there was some sort of feedback that played a role in tandem with the overall favorable storm setup?

It would be fairly time consuming but it would be interesting to see how often this type of thing happens. Clearly this is not a necessary ingredient for significant tornado activity in these areas as I know of quite a few good tornado setups that did not feature a boundary like this.

Great work!

Here is the GRR NWS take on the 4-3-56 event.

http://www.crh.noaa.gov/grr/science/19560403/

I had known of the unusual eastward progression of the dry line as a factor in the 1965 Palm Sunday and Superoutbreak but did not know of the others you mentioned. Good research. Yes, we don't need the dryline around here for tornadoes, but it seems to be an extra added ingredient that can really ramp up our svr weather just like in the Plains.

at the time it was destroying the Parsons plant, had a max delta V of 108kts at that time. This was an insane day going over some things. dew points were pushing 80 degrees and getting over that and some areas with CAPE values around 6,400 j/kg with tops to 64kft

There were not a lot of tornadoes that day but the environment that cell was in just exploded. How do they measure the winds in a tornado on doppler radar? I think its based on knots inbound and knots outbound. I think the Greensburg was around 200kts which is about 220-230mph.

It has been quite some years since Indiana and Michigan had a violent tornado. At least 20 to 30 years ago. The last one in Illinois was the Roanoke F4 on July 13, 2004. It probably was a high-end F4 for homes were swept away and a plant was almost completely destroyed.

Indiana had an F4 in 1998.

There were not a lot of tornadoes that day but the environment that cell was in just exploded. How do they measure the winds in a tornado on doppler radar? I think its based on knots inbound and knots outbound. I think the Greensburg was around 200kts which is about 220-230mph.

I dont know if the greensburg tornado had that much delta v on radar but greensburg #2 on 5/23/08 did. believe it was around 220kts of gtg shear

this supercell is my favorite of any radar image of any one I've seen on radar, what helped was being in VCP 212 and so close to the DDC radar

Archived