• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
Extremely interesting theory from Henry M!

"Wednesday and Thursday, the models were going to a major storm hitting the Eastern part of the country, but something happened with the runs Thursday Night and Friday. Suddenly, and for no apparent reason, the models went from a storm going up the Appalachians to a storm going well off the coast. We all know, the winter has been one with failing models, but we all know, the models have always trended west, not east which made me wonder what happened.

My theory is, Mt Redoubt had caused the problem. Thursday afternoon, a NOTAM was issued restricted flights around Mt Redoubt which is an active volcano about to blow. 20 Years ago when the volcano blew, a 747 lost it's engines flying into the ash cloud. You can read the story below. Now you need to understand that aircraft provide weather information along flight route called Aircraft Communications Addressing and Reporting System or ACARS. That information goes into the computer models to help understand the weather aloft. The Mt Redoubt sits right along the Asian flight path between US and Europe flights. So information collected along that flight path will end up in the models.

This is where things get interesting. It just so happens that the jet stream energy which will eventually produce the storm in the East is coming out of the Gulf of Alaska. When the NOTAM was issued Thursday, most likely, flights were diverted around the Volcano, thus critical weather information from that area that goes into the models was missing, which would explain the sudden change. This is why I think now we will see the models go back to some western solution as the energy moves into western Canada and can be better defined by upper air measurements through soundings and ACARS. It's an interesting theory of mine and some might argue is bogus, but it's the only thing that I can think of that happened Thursday to change the models."

What are your thoughts?

am19psu EDIT: This is the link to the story - http://www.accuweather.com/blogs/meteomadness/story/18068/theory-on-why-models-made-big-shift-in-storm.asp

Old news yeah, but just thought i would throw it out there because it could be a major reason the models have been such a failure this year.

That would only be the case if critical data-collection regions had been closed off all this time. They haven't. The airspace restrictions were only in place for a relatively short period of time.

Old news yeah, but just thought i would throw it out there because it could be a major reason the models have been such a failure this year.

That would only be the case if critical data-collection regions had been closed off all this time. They haven't. The airspace restrictions were only in place for a relatively short period of time.

...not to mention that models were at a record high verification for 2010... unless that by this year he meant this past 3 days.

Henry M. doesn't know his aircraft systems.

ACARS is not the main means of capturing and routinely reporting enroute weather; it is primarily used to alert the destination airport / airline maintenance base of potential issues or problems with the operation of one or more of a plane's components, systems, etc. It can also be used as an uplink from dispatch on enroute weather conditions (e.g., issuance of SIGMETS).

The enroute reporting of weather is primarily done through AMDAR. Not all planes are equipped with AMDAR.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aircraft_Meteorological_Data_Relay

I believe AMDAR data is fed directly to meteorological entities; ACARS data would not be, as the information is often proprietary.

Henry M. doesn't know his aircraft systems.

ACARS is not the main means of capturing and routinely reporting enroute weather; it is primarily used to alert the destination airport / airline maintenance base of potential issues or problems with the operation of one or more of a plane's components, systems, etc. It can also be used as an uplink from dispatch on enroute weather conditions (e.g., issuance of SIGMETS).

The enroute reporting of weather is primarily done through AMDAR. Not all planes are equipped with AMDAR.

http://en.wikipedia....ical_Data_Relay

I believe AMDAR data is fed directly to meteorological entities; ACARS data would not be, as the information is often proprietary.

Bingo

The next day he wrote(

WELL MODELS GO BACK OUT OT SEA...

I am about as confused with this storm then I have ever been. So no snow map. The latest models now have the storm out to sea, so what's the next run going to show...I have no idea... Time for the Super Bowl...)

I had a feeling people would not be happy with that post and sure enough, the following day he announced that he would be taking a break from the weather and claimed that he had recieved vulgar emails and threats. Crazy storm, crazy times.

The next day he wrote(

WELL MODELS GO BACK OUT OT SEA...

I am about as confused with this storm then I have ever been. So no snow map. The latest models now have the storm out to sea, so what's the next run going to show...I have no idea... Time for the Super Bowl...)

I had a feeling people would not be happy with that post and sure enough, the following day he announced that he would be taking a break from the weather and claimed that he had recieved vulgar emails and threats. Crazy storm, crazy times.

The real HM.. I'd follow off a weather cliff. I've seen that guy predict a monthly winter temp anomaly that verified so true you could measure it in feet.

Archived