• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Coldest winter since late 1970's and 1993-1994 upon us

Mikehobbyst

Thanks! Wow thats cold-- I dont ever remember seeing it depicted that cold before.

If you go up to my first post with the "bad marking" I circled someone's original post with the earlier readings and followed up with a couple of day's later feeling it wouldn't verify. I still have my doubt's...I hope I am wrong, it has been since '83 I think se pa has seen these kind of temps.

1976-77 was the coldest winter in NYC since the 1930's...Here is a list of the coldest winters since 1950 and the coldest 30 day period for each winter...

Winter........ave temp.......coldest 30 day period...

1976-77..........28.5..........21.9

1962-63..........30.0..........25.9

1977-78..........30.3..........26.2

1969-70..........30.5..........24.0

1958-59..........30.9..........28.5

1993-94..........31.2..........23.5

2002-03..........31.2..........25.9

1967-68..........31.3..........25.1

1960-61..........31.7..........24.6

1970-71..........32.1..........24.2

Cold like this doesn't happen every year...So far this winter NYC is averaging close to 33.0 but should drop after this month...

• 2 weeks later...

Uncle, great data, as always. I know that it' s outside the time frame, but do you have similar data on the 47-48 Winter?

That's the one I remember well, being 11 when it happened, across the Hudson from Manhattan.

That winter, as you know, was preceded by a snowy Feb. 47, and a big Dec. 48 storm as well, bracketing 47-48 nicely.

Any idea what the ENSO was like at that period?

Thanks snowwindow.gif

Jim H.

1976-77 was the coldest winter in NYC since the 1930's...Here is a list of the coldest winters since 1950 and the coldest 30 day period for each winter...

Winter........ave temp.......coldest 30 day period...

1976-77..........28.5..........21.9

1962-63..........30.0..........25.9

1977-78..........30.3..........26.2

1969-70..........30.5..........24.0

1958-59..........30.9..........28.5

1993-94..........31.2..........23.5

2002-03..........31.2..........25.9

1967-68..........31.3..........25.1

1960-61..........31.7..........24.6

1970-71..........32.1..........24.2

Cold like this doesn't happen every year...So far this winter NYC is averaging close to 33.0 but should drop after this month...

Uncle, great data, as always. I know that it' s outside the time frame, but do you have similar data on the 47-48 Winter?

That's the one I remember well, being 11 when it happened, across the Hudson from Manhattan.

That winter, as you know, was preceded by a snowy Feb. 47, and a big Dec. 48 storm as well, bracketing 47-48 nicely.

Any idea what the ENSO was like at that period?

Thanks snowwindow.gif

Jim H.

that winter averaged 30.0 and the coldest 30 day period was 21.5...

Thanks, Unc, that cold period surpasses any on the post-1950 list you have. Much of those winters I missed, living elsewhere.

The cold certainly helped keep the deep snow from melting more, but an added ingredient to all of this was that everyone spread coal ash on the packed snow on sidewalks. The result was often an unbreakable material like concrete underfoot. With the widespread residential use of coal for heating, the snow became peppered with soot from the fallout, even in the parks. No clean air back then! Still, I was one of a lot of sorry kids when the whole mess started melting for good.

that winter averaged 30.0 and the coldest 30 day period was 21.5...

Thanks, Unc, that cold period surpasses any on the post-1950 list you have. Much of those winters I missed, living elsewhere.

The cold certainly helped keep the deep snow from melting more, but an added ingredient to all of this was that everyone spread coal ash on the packed snow on sidewalks. The result was often an unbreakable material like concrete underfoot. With the widespread residential use of coal for heating, the snow became peppered with soot from the fallout, even in the parks. No clean air back then! Still, I was one of a lot of sorry kids when the whole mess started melting for good.

it must have been some great winter even though it had one major storm...We have 22 consecutive days with an inch or more of snow cover so far...That year had 58...It started with a 2" snowfall on the 23rd of December...An inch was on the ground when the blizzard struck...temperatures didn't make it out of the low 30's for weeks...Every other day there was another snow or sleet event...New Years Day 1948 saw a storm that had over 1.5" of precipitation with the temperature around 32...It had snow/sleet/freezing rain and rain...It must have cemented the 15" or so of left over snow...Another 15-20" of minor events added to the snow cover until a major thaw came the second half of February...Most of the snow melted in the thaw but more fell after that...another 11" from a few events before Spring came on cue with 70 degree temperatures...

Hey uncle, thanks for the info about the New Year's storm that followed the 1947 25+ inch snowstorm.

I do remember the New Year's 1948 ice storm in Jersey City near Bayonne. We lived near the corner of a city park, where a trolley line ran, and the ice caused spectacular arcing on the wires that night. The DC juice has to jump the gap formed by the ice. We lost power in our house for a long period (hours, not days). That storm started immediately as freezing rain. By the following morning, there was quite an icing up, and a light snow was falling before precip stopped. Somehow I remember the temp of 29F, at that time, but don't remember the source of that info.

Yeah, the season had just one great snowstorm, but had every variety of winter storm after that, although my chronology is poor. There were regular old snowstorms with moderate accumulation, one very heavy wet storm, and a storm that was predicted to give us another foot as an "old fashioned blizzard", but which went to sea before piling up. That storm was very blustery, and cold. Near the end, I saw a precipitation that I never saw before, like little mothballs. Of course, it was Graupel. Wish I had more info about that one storm. Don't remember any rain after the New Year's storm, until the February thaw.

After the big thaw, there were other snows, but I don't remember them well. The one in the beginning of March turned to rain, I know, and yet another brief storm hit as freezing rain and sleet on the anniversary of the Blizzard of 1888, March 12. The one in late February after the thaw holds no memory for me. I guess I was spoiled by then.sleepysmileyanim.gif

I hope that that information is useful to readers. I may have bragging rights about 1947-48, but I missed the great winter of 1960-61, and all of the winter storms between 1972 and 2003, along with the cold. I moved back to NJ from the West Coast, days after the December 2003 snowstorm.

Oh, I need to add that I do remember the storm right before Christmas. It began as rain, and turned to snow later that afternoon. I was at Macy's with my family, and we rejoiced to look out the store's upper floor window to see that the snow was sticking. Just enough for a White Xmas. Little did we know what was in store.

it must have been some great winter even though it had one major storm...We have 22 consecutive days with an inch or more of snow cover so far...That year had 58...It started with a 2" snowfall on the 23rd of December...An inch was on the ground when the blizzard struck...temperatures didn't make it out of the low 30's for weeks...Every other day there was another snow or sleet event...New Years Day 1948 saw a storm that had over 1.5" of precipitation with the temperature around 32...It had snow/sleet/freezing rain and rain...It must have cemented the 15" or so of left over snow...Another 15-20" of minor events added to the snow cover until a major thaw came the second half of February...Most of the snow melted in the thaw but more fell after that...another 11" from a few events before Spring came on cue with 70 degree temperatures...

Unc, which winter has the record for most consecutive days of snowcover 1" or more at NYC; is it 1960-61?

• 3 months later...

December-January-February 2010-2011 was ~1.5 degrees warmer than 1993-1994 at Central Park. It was also warmer than 2002-2003 and 2003-2004.

Looking like a 3-4 week historical cold period based on the latest GFS runs of endless weeks of not breaking freezing this month. Maybe a very few days get to 35 to be realistic. The 1993-1994 cold January could be beaten is month. I think we have a chance to own that winter's cold and maybe beat it with a -8 to -10 F low in the city and -10 to -15 F lows on the island sometime this month. The scary thing it is looking very likely too and not a hype or wishing thing. Massive snowfall can come out of this crazy pattern if our opportunities phase correctly and time correctly. This could be the strongest and most severe winter since late 1970's. I would hedge on that bet right now.... I think we have a top 1 or top 2 coldest January since records were taken with a mean average temp below freezing too. This is looking historical to me. Do others see this ?? Also the AO and NAO stay negative indefinately !!!!! Coldest air from Siberia comes over too... This is too much to handle if you are a cold and snow person. I am sure everyone is stoked about this month in the northeast based on the signals alone. I do not think I am too far from reality about the cold magnitude being historic.

December-January-February 2010-2011 was ~1.5 degrees warmer than 1993-1994 at Central Park. It was also warmer than 2002-2003 and 2003-2004.

If you were to just count December and January it probably would be colder. For these days if you can get 2 of 3 months 3+ degrees below average and 1 month slightly above during any season it is impressive.

Archived