• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Were too many blizzard warnings issued by east coast NWS offices before this real one?

I am John Q Public. I watch the local tv Met and he says it will be windy and we will get a lot of snow. At the same time a weather warning goes across the TV screen stating that there is a blizzard warning for the area. The TV met then states that there will be blizzard conditions. To John Q Public a blizzard is a bad snow storm.(I use my 70 year old mother as an example) she doesn't care about the 35 mph wind requirements.

I would think that you NWS mets should be using your best judgement and calling warnings when you think they are needed.

One side note: there was a tornado near by a couple of months ago. no tstorm watches or warnings. there was no SAME warning either.

One last thought: I think that NOAA needs to overhaul the SAME radio system. equip all Radios and TVs with it. Much better way to get the message out.

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am John Q Public. I watch the local tv Met and he says it will be windy and we will get a lot of snow. At the same time a weather warning goes across the TV screen stating that there is a blizzard warning for the area. The TV met then states that there will be blizzard conditions. To John Q Public a blizzard is a bad snow storm.(I use my 70 year old mother as an example) she doesn't care about the 35 mph wind requirements.

I would think that you NWS mets should be using your best judgement and calling warnings when you think they are needed.

One side note: there was a tornado near by a couple of months ago. no tstorm watches or warnings. there was no SAME warning either.

One last thought: I think that NOAA needs to overhaul the SAME radio system. equip all Radios and TVs with it. Much better way to get the message out.

Agreed, but that's not NOAA's call. It's something that a law would be needed to require manufacturers to install.

I believe this was the low-topped squall line event you are referring to, which the northern end went across the southern portions of NWS BGM's CWA. There was little to no lightning with that activity, and any tornado was likely a rather brief spin-up. Very tough to catch and warn on.

The NOAA Weather Radio system is being completely redone. I believe a few offices will be testing it later in 2011. If I understood correctly, this new system will not really be noticed by the customer.

That's good. The public doesn't need to know what the specific criteria is for a blizzard warning. As long as they acknowledge it is a dangerous storm and take heed.

When I said earlier that we explain what a BZ.W is to the public in our products, I was addressing another posters concern that there is no information out there that explains what a blizzard actually is.

That's what we do. We don't flippantly issue or not issue warnings on whims.

I think that we should go back to the old classification and include very cold temperatures. That would make blizzard rarer and more deserving of the moniker.

How about reviving the old "heavy snow warning" for all but storms including all three factors?

How about reviving the old "heavy snow warning" for all but storms including all three factors?

We still say it in the WS.W attribution line...things like: "WINTER STORM WARNING FOR HEAVY SNOW". We'll mention sleet, blowing snow and freezing rain or any combination as well.

It's all about road conditions as far as the public is concerned

In 2006 my dad went out to CVS a mile from the house in the heart of it. Everything was fine.

He wouldn't try it on Sundays storm.. . And he would't have either if he was in Frederick on 2/10/10. Thats the difference the winds make

In summary

WSW = Don't travel if you don't have to.

Blizzard Warning= Do not Travel Even if you have to.

If people don't understand blizzard warning, they should just make travel ban on when conditions like Sundays' so people don't think it's a bluff.

Archived