• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Presidents' Day Storm of 1979 -- Most Memorable Snowstorm Ever

RodneyS

If any of you have any pictures of the storm that you'd like to share, I'd love to see them! I wasn't born yet in 1979 but I love reading about this storm. My mother has been through nearly every Baltimore-area HECS and still says 1979 was the craziest. She did have some pictures, but has been unable to locate them currently. If she ever finds them I will post some here.

FWIW, my 95-year-old grandmother has also been through every Baltimore-area HECS... she still talks about 1979 and especially 1942. :D

• Like 3

On 2/18/2024 at 10:01 PM, RodneyS said:

This article notes that Delaware received nearly 25 inches. https://vlab.noaa.gov/web/nws-heritage/-/unpredictable-the-president-s-day-storm-of-1979#:~:text=By Monday%2C February 19%2C snow,blocked%2C impassable even to snowplows.

What was memorable about that Sunday prior to the storm was the extreme cold -- the temperature ranges were 6 to 15 at DCA and -14 to 8 at IAD.

A link within that link is an analysis of the storm by Uccellini. (Youngsters; he is the U in KU) Pretty good read with updated graphics. Repeating here for convenience:

https://ocean.weather.gov/2-PresidentsDayStormColloquium_Uccellini.pdf

• Like 4

I was 5 years old then. I don't remember much of this storm but I do remember living in Baltimore then. I remember a city transit bus getting stuck in the middle of the storm on Charles Street in South Baltimore.  I guess cause of the crazy rates of that storm. I wish I was old enough then to really appreciate the magnitude of that storm.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...