Total Members
    Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
Texas/Oklahoma 2023 Obs and Discussion

51 minutes ago, Powerball said:

It's already 102*F at DFW as of 11am...:devilsmiley:

Supposed to be  106° (107° per Accuweather) today but I don't know, only 93° at the big airport.  NWS is only 97° on Tuesday, but because a 30% chance of showers although 12Z GFS is completely dry,  Ensembles are almost a tenth of an inch.  NWS disco said if we do make the century mark, to use their words, we won't just break the record for consecutive days from 2011, we'll smash it.  NWS disco also mentioned the enhanced fire danger Tuesday because it will be windier.  2011, the big fire in Bastrop started with drought weakened trees dropping branches onto powerlines as Lee, sheared and without rain on its W side, caused gusty winds.  25 mph gusts forecast.  May not drop tree limbs, but would help spread any fire.

• Like 1

Houston can tie 2011 at 24 consecutive 100F days (remember, we have cooling breezes off the Gulf, it just doesn't get as hot) if the clouds on the edge of TD 9 don't limit insolation.  NWS Houston has the 6 days after tomorrow well above 100F.

Since it won't rain here, I say lets have a new consecutive 100F day record.  By 10 days, the death ridge is shifting W and I think the temps should drop closer to normal temps.

eps_z500_vort_watl_41.png

1 hour ago, Powerball said:

Seems both San Antonio and Houston officially broke their 100*F streak today.

Austin eeked out an intra-hour 100*F before getting an outer band of t'storms from Harold.

Depressing. Today was supposed to be Houston' day to tie 2011's consecutive 100°F streak, and we'd break it tomorrow. A week at least more, Thursday forecast at 107°F. Cloudy, a few showers, upper 90s.

15 minutes ago, Ed, snow and hurricane fan said:

Depressing. Today was supposed to be Houston' day to tie 2011's consecutive 100°F streak, and we'd break it tomorrow. A week at least more, Thursday forecast at 107°F. Cloudy, a few showers, upper 90s.

Pouring salt on the wound, it seems both Conroe's airport and Hooks both made it to 100*F.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Powerball said:

Houston apparently made it to 109*F

Meanwhile, DFW broke more records as well with a high of 107*F and a low of 84*F (previous records were 106*F and 82*F respectively in 2011).

And thunderstorms developed at dusk.  IAG got 0.01, the first measurable rainfall in 7 weeks, I'd guesstimate half an inch on the lawn, and there a lot of wind.  Electricity came back at 2 am.  Sleeping w/o AC, how did people survive the 19th Century?

40 degree T/Td spread, 2 reports to SPC for wind in Harris County.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

NWS forecast is 108°F tomorrow, but my daughter said the TV forecast (she thinks it was AccuWeather, that would be Channel 13) said an all time record of 110°F  20% chance of storms.  I didn't think it was possible to have a ridge strong enough for that kind of heat and have convection.  When I lived in DFW, the really hot days there wasn't a cloud.

On 8/25/2023 at 4:41 PM, Powerball said:

Well what do you know...

To my shock, DFW achieved the seemingly impossible 110*F high today (which, needless to say, is also another record high for the day).

First time since 8/2/2011.

And today has ended up being double take of yesterday...