Most Online
    JAZZOVER
    Newest Member
    JAZZOVER
Central PA - Winter 2020/2021 Part 2

23 minutes ago, Superstorm said:

Back door cold fronts. Nasty.

5 minutes ago, Bubbler86 said:

Yea, our corner of the nation has its own extended late winter weather on some LR models.  

Speaking of nasty, welcome to today. Cold and windy on March 19th with not a hint of wintry weather. If it's not going to snow, I'm ready to move on from this. 

• Like 1

Well, the chances of seeing even a smidge of snow, to the extent that such chances ever existed at all, went kaput.  You could see yesterday that the "threat" was fizzling faster than anticipated.  A bit less rain than I thought I'd get here too, only .87".  Now we embrace backdoor cold front season as we pray for one last onion snow.

1 minute ago, Itstrainingtime said:

Speaking of nasty, welcome to today. Cold and windy on March 19th with not a hint of wintry weather. If it's not going to snow, I'm ready to move on from this. 

Its brutal out.  Going to be a chilly Friday and Sat.  Good skiing weather for those up to it.  LOL

4 minutes ago, sauss06 said:

awesome man. i know you've been wanting it. What for wind did you record overnight? I woke up to my front porch furniture slamming against my wrought iron railing

Highest was 26 mph but I'm now having gusts occasionally to 28. 

• Like 1

On 3/11/2021 at 2:14 PM, TimB84 said:

Not every year the Big Ten has four legitimate national title contenders.

Edit: Three. Didn’t realize Ohio State went into a tailspin down the stretch, though that pleases me.

This aged well, though I’ll admit I questioned it after the Big Ten tourney.

• Like 1

On 3/18/2021 at 11:58 AM, Itstrainingtime said:

Me too! My point was, those aren't the types of days that typically generate a passion for weather...it's typically a large snowstorm or some other significant weather event.

Other than my week on Hatteras Island I could care less if we ever saw 70 degrees all year. :)

The Blizzard of 93 started my passion for the weather back when I was in High School.

On 3/18/2021 at 2:24 PM, Itstrainingtime said:

Paul Knight - honestly, my favorite met ever. I remember on Wednesday, January 3rd 1996 that there was talk about a large, powerful snowstorm that was going to affect the southern mid Atlantic region over the upcoming weekend. I know that all of my local forecasts were for a dry, very cold weekend at that point. On that evening's Weather World, Paul said that he felt confident that this large storm would bring heavy snows to at least the southern portions of PA. I have no idea what models were depicting, I just know that every forecast was for the storm to miss south of our area. Except Paul's forecast. He was the first to sound the alarm...and he was remarkably calm and confident that it was going to happen...

5 days later, I started the task of shoveling out from under 30.5" of Paul's heavy snow he forecasted. He was, and is, the most accurate, non-hype forecaster I've seen and/or heard in PA. That was probably his most memorable "win." 

Weather World was a must watch for me every day! Before the Internet, they were one of the best sources for PA weather. Paul was great, along with several other meteorologists that were on the air throughout the years. Many of them also worked at Accuweather, so when the Internet came about, it was great to connect with them again with their blogs & articles.

My trusty weather radio also was a must listen a few times per day. I loved setting it to the Alert function when I was expecting a Winter Storm Watch or Warning to be issued.

The local TV weather was also a main source of information. I used to drive my parents crazy by flipping around the channels to try to catch all 3 different TV weather forecasts.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Blizzard of 93 said:

Weather World was a must watch for me every day! Before the Internet, they were one of the best sources for PA weather. Paul was great, along with several other meteorologists that were on the air throughout the years. Many of them also worked at Accuweather, so when the Internet came about, it was great to connect with them again with their blogs & articles.

My trusty weather radio also was a must listen a few times per day. I loved setting it to the Alert function when I was expecting a Winter Storm Watch or Warning to be issued.

The local TV weather was also a main source of information. I used to drive my parents crazy by flipping around the channels to try to catch all 3 different TV weather forecasts.

image.png.44fb60cd40f77d9a4391da7aa5e87ec2.png

4 minutes ago, Blizzard of 93 said:

I haven’t had the chance to look at the long term weather models the last couple of days?

Any chance of one last winter storm to track?

The trusty GFS cold bias still rolls a couple of storms with snow in the cold sector through the northeast bookending next weekend.

2 hours ago, TimB84 said:

This aged well, though I’ll admit I questioned it after the Big Ten tourney.

Exactly dude OSU cannot close games at all and it bit them today. Illinois is experienced it may be their year, my wolverines were looking good until Livers injury...now I’m feeling sweet 16 exit. Good hire by psu btw, he knows his stuff.

1 hour ago, Wmsptwx said:

Exactly dude OSU cannot close games at all and it bit them today. Illinois is experienced it may be their year, my wolverines were looking good until Livers injury...now I’m feeling sweet 16 exit. Good hire by psu btw, he knows his stuff.

Agreed on the PSU hire. I’m a Wisconsin guy myself though PSU runs in my family’s blood as it does for a lot of Pennsylvanians. Glad Wisconsin finally put together a complete game and scored 85 and dismantled UNC in a game that was never really contested. Those kids have been together four years and finally got to experience the joy of winning a tournament game. They’ll get dismantled by Baylor on Sunday but I’m on cloud nine.

3 hours ago, TimB84 said:

Agreed on the PSU hire. I’m a Wisconsin guy myself though PSU runs in my family’s blood as it does for a lot of Pennsylvanians. Glad Wisconsin finally put together a complete game and scored 85 and dismantled UNC in a game that was never really contested. Those kids have been together four years and finally got to experience the joy of winning a tournament game. They’ll get dismantled by Baylor on Sunday but I’m on cloud nine.

Ohh that’s right you’re a Wisconsin man lol someone here was psu think it’s mt joy poster. Wisconsin is sooooo sneaky good at tourney time, how Baylor’s been starting games Wisconsin has real shot pulling upset.

Just now, TugHillMatt said:

Back to Weather World...I LOVED that show! Paul and Fred surely influenced my weather passion.

I remember thinking Elliot Abrams was one of the strangest people I ever watched on tv.... LOL

He is the reason "some" say Gorilla in the Gulf and Chattanooga Choo Choo to represent storm types.  :-). 

• Haha 1