• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Ottawa: Will There Be Any -20°C Days This Winter?

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There may be another question on the horizon here.....can Ottawa break their all-time snow futility record?

I am not sure what that amount is....perhpas Ottawa Blizzard knows?

it's not as bad as you think. December 2002 only had 17cm in Ottawa, while January 2003 had only 37cm. We had a snowier December this year (plus the 7cm just before Halloween) and we'll likely surpass 37cm this January. February 2003 saw a 31cm storm around the 22nd. Snow depth wasn't great in January 2003, about the same as this year. 1964-65 wasn't brilliant either. There was only a 3cm snowpack right up until January 18th!

http://www.climate.weatheroffice.gc.ca/climateData/dailydata_e.html?timeframe=2&Prov=XX&StationID=4337&Year=1965&Month=1&Day=19

http://www.climate.weatheroffice.gc.ca/climateData/dailydata_e.html?Prov=XX&timeframe=2&StationID=4337&Day=1&Month=1&Year=2003&cmdB1=Go

it's not as bad as you think. December 2002 only had 17cm in Ottawa, while January 2003 had only 37cm. We had a snowier December this year (plus the 7cm just before Halloween) and we'll likely surpass 37cm this January. February 2003 saw a 31cm storm around the 22nd. Snow depth wasn't great in January 2003, about the same as this year. 1964-65 wasn't brilliant either. There was only a 3cm snowpack right up until January 18th!

http://www.climate.w...&Month=1&Day=19

http://www.climate.w...r=2003&cmdB1=Go

Also, look at January 1966 and how low the snowpack was. Two poor years in a row. Only the two blizzards later in the month saved us.

http://www.climate.w...r=1966&cmdB1=Go

while i agree that snowpack is looking better right now, and that there is a long way to go.......

the question of whether ottawa can break its all time futility record is still valid.

to date, i believe only 65 or so cm have fallen.

in 65-66, ottawa ended up with 210cm

in 02-03, ottawa ended up with 242cm

the year were very little snow fell early, ottawa still managed 110cm by the end of janaury.

regardless of the current cold and current fresh snow appearance, looks can be decieving.... ottawa is an epic snow drought since janaury of 2009 (although 07-08 can always be brought up as a counterargument). i am guessing the least amount of snow that ever fell in ottawa is somewhere around 120cm, which would be about half of normal. last year only 138 cm of snow fell!!!! perhaps last year was the record? i imagine we would have heard something if it was?

without knowing what the mark is (unfortunately),

one has to wonder if there is real chance that ottawa could threaten the futility mark this year......though if it remains cold, i am sure they will penny and nickel their way past it.

The winter of 1965-66 is probably vastly over-rated -- I remember it quite well and it lasted about a week (Jan 22 to 31 tops). There was almost no winter weather in Dec 1965, the first ten days of Jan 66, Feb 66 or Mar 66 until way too late then it just becomes cold spring weather. It snowed on April first, about the only big snow outside of that ten-day period in January.

The winter of 1964-65 was a much better winter for storms, but it isn't necessarily remembered that way, because temperatures were close to average in the main winter months.

Looks to me as though Ottawa will go into the deep freeze and stay there most of February too.

sunshine in winter = death knell cold

Yes. But on the bright side, if this is payback 07, it's only fair that we get payback from 09/10 and 10/11. Maybe next year will be our year. La nina with no monster block? The return of the SE ridge, pushing all those juicy storm up here? Stay tuned...:thumbsup::snowman:

Yes. But on the bright side, if this is payback 07, it's only fair that we get payback from 09/10 and 10/11. Maybe next year will be our year. La nina with no monster block? The return of the SE ridge, pushing all those juicy storm up here? Stay tuned...:thumbsup::snowman:

well im all about snowdepth.....we'll never see another winter like 07-08 for eons, but we can still make a run at record depths across the region.....that can happen very quickly, i remember how suddenly 92-93 jumped up on us :thumbsup:

well im all about snowdepth.....we'll never see another winter like 07-08 for eons, but we can still make a run at record depths across the region.....that can happen very quickly, i remember how suddenly 92-93 jumped up on us :thumbsup:

Man, that winter must have been incredible. I mean, February 1993 was insane. 37cm on the 13th, followed by another 25-30 a week later, followed by the March superstorm. Plus, it was really cold as well.

Man, that winter must have been incredible. I mean, February 1993 was insane. 37cm on the 13th, followed by another 25-30 a week later, followed by the March superstorm. Plus, it was really cold as well.

greatest winter ever my friend....fast and absolutely ferocious.....bam! out of nowhere....

ill never forget the morning after the Superstorm......a desolate arctic wasteland in mid-march, frigid with blowing ground blizzards in open areas.....it was beautiful....trucks coming round collecting snow to truck it out.....later in march, it was a beautiful site.

snow was over street signs, i never got to fully appreciate it though, since it was mid-march, and that was the peak....i wish we could have enjoyed it a bit longer a couple more weeks.......a second half of march like the latter portions of march 08 would have been much better to enoy it.

It was incredible! fun time for sure. Wouldn't it be nice if this winter ended on a bang?

It was incredible! fun time for sure. Wouldn't it be nice if this winter ended on a bang?

07-08 would have been better if we didnt have that horrible torch in janaury.......that really left a sour taste in my mouth. thats when i found this board....during the torch....i was bored and wanted to find out how long the warm weather would last, so i did a search and stumbled on the board. :lol:

though it did give meaning to the standard against which all torches must be measured, lol.

07-08 would have been better if we didnt have that horrible torch in janaury.......that really left a sour taste in my mouth. thats when i found this board....during the torch....i was bored and wanted to find out how long the warm weather would last, so i did a search and stumbled on the board. :lol:

though it did give meaning to the standard against which all torches must be measured, lol.

I think the greatest Ottawa winter of all time has to be 1970-71. Not only does it hold the snow record, but it was also cold. January 1971 had a mean below -13C.

I think the greatest Ottawa winter of all time has to be 1970-71. Not only does it hold the snow record, but it was also cold. January 1971 had a mean below -13C.

thats what they all say

for me

92-93

07-08

93-94

overall i imagine

70-71

92-93

07-08

or some combo of the 3 were the meanest winters of all-time in ottawa

what were some other severe winters pre-1985?

yeah as great as 07-08 was, there were a lot of things to leave you bitter i suppose :lol:

plus, didnt you miss the 2 foot storm (or as i remember it, the gentler younger brother of the Superstorm :lol: ) in March? ??

i watched it unfold from my hotel room in Orlando :thumbsdown: .... It was a heart breaker for sure.:axe:

Archived