• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Ottawa: Will There Be Any -20°C Days This Winter?

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm telling you, February 9th, 1934's record is in danger. :weight_lift:

The Arctic ridge building into the Ottawa valley Sunday has produced widespread -35 to -40C readings this morning over NW Ontario.. including a frigid -44.8C (-49F) at Landsdowne House (CWLF). Current official forecast has a low of -28C Sunday night for Ottawa, but potential is there for -35C.

The Arctic ridge building into the Ottawa valley Sunday has produced widespread -35 to -40C readings this morning over NW Ontario.. including a frigid -44.8C (-49F) at Landsdowne House (CWLF). Current official forecast has a low of -28C Sunday night for Ottawa, but potential is there for -35C.

that would be incredible. I think it largely depends on cloud cover. Currently it's -18C ( 0F) at Ottawa's airport, but -14.5C at my place.

skies finally cleared here,temps should drop below zero by sunset :yikes:

Ideal setup for below zero temps across Niagara frontier with Arctic ridge building in, temps in the single digits this afternoon, and surface flow becoming light east overnight which will prevent any modification off Lake Ontario. Reminds me of the setup on Feb 18 1979 when BUF dropped to an amazing -18F. I don't think we'll see that low in BUF, but potential for -10F is there as long as skies remain clear.

Ideal setup for below zero temps across Niagara frontier with Arctic ridge building in, temps in the single digits this afternoon, and surface flow becoming light east overnight which will prevent any modification off Lake Ontario. Reminds me of the setup on Feb 18 1979 when BUF dropped to an amazing -18F. I don't think we'll see that low in BUF, but potential for -10F is there as long as skies remain clear.

its already down to 4F at my house with windchill around -10F :guitar:

looks like sub -40C windchills in and around ottawa currently.

offficually -39C at the airport

I just came back from a morning skate on the Rideau canal. The ice conditions were great, although the wind is brutal if you're skating into it. Can also be hard to breathe and you can start coughing a lot if you're out in cold like that for any length of time. Still, I am one hardy Canadian. :weight_lift:

Through yesterday, Ottawa's monthly snowfall is 33.8 cm. I continue to expect that Ottawa should reach 40 cm before the end of January. Moreover, in the Tuesday through Saturday timeframe, the 12z GFS is showing 7.5 cm to 15 cm total snowfall for Ottawa. Hence, there is at least some model support for the idea.

Through yesterday, Ottawa's monthly snowfall is 33.8 cm. I continue to expect that Ottawa should reach 40 cm before the end of January. Moreover, in the Tuesday through Saturday timeframe, the 12z GFS is showing 7.5 cm to 15 cm total snowfall for Ottawa. Hence, there is at least some model support for the idea.

This is good to hear Don. It looks like the -20C cold might return during the first week of February. Might be a cold opening night/weekend for Winterlude (Ottawa's annual winter festival with snow and ice sculptures).

The January 23, 2011 high temperature in Ottawa was -18.8°C (-1.8°F). That was the first daily subzero Fahrenheit maximum reading in Ottawa since January 16, 2009 when the high temperature topped out at an icy -20.1°C (-4.0°F).

We may yet get our -20C day. Temperature is hovering at -20.3C at the airport. Will it hold for another 24 minutes? :lol:

Honestly, you really have to wonder about the media sometimes. On CTV yesterday, a reporter asked David Phillips of EC if the cold snap held any bigger meaning with regard to the way our climate and whetehr this was unusual. For crying out loud, it's Canada in mid January. It's supposed to be cold! :lmao:

:lmao: so true

We did it. -20.3C at midnight. Ottawa has had a -20C day. :thumbsup:

:thumbsup:

Archived