Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Would these storms work today?

psuhoffman

3 hours ago, PrinceFrederickWx said:

@jwilson

The summer creep into September is indeed a real change occurring. As I posted in the Extreme Run thread last fall, every September in the 2010's at BWI finished with above average temperatures except 2013, which was only -0.1 below. The new 1990-2020 norms, when released, will definitely increase the September temperature. 

March has varied wildly over the last decade and it's difficult to draw any conclusions. For BWI, March should return to being snowier on average than December under the 1990-2020 norms, but this is just a return to how it's always been historically.

Thanks for that info!  That is interesting to hear.

Where I live now (Pittsburgh metro), December has - long-term - actually beaten March and historically been the better month for snow.  However, the last five years (this year will be the sixth, I get a sense) have bucked the trend so much that the new 30-year mean will actually have March with a higher average than December.

Locally, between '99 and '13, not a single March month had double-digit snowfall, whereas in December it was closer to every-other year.  Now the tables have flipped and we've only hit double-digits in December once since '14, with three of those below 2" total.

This might just be a short-term trend and we'll see things change after another decade of measurements are available, but at least for now it's kind of odd.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, psuhoffman said:

There were a lot in the 2000s. A couple in 2002/3. One in Jan 2004 gave MD 2-4”. There were several 1-3” clippers in 2004/5. A couple in Jan/feb 2007 and a big one Dec 2007, the only good snow that year. Then I remember a couple in 2009. 

This decade has been less common. There have been a few but we spent a lot of the decade in either a blocking pattern likely to squash clippers or a warm pattern where they would be way north of us. 

Fair enough - I absolutely cede to your recollection of events. That was a long time ago, and I was living in DC or Arlington during that time, so those events may have been a little less impressive in those areas.

I’d love to see us returning to getting clippers here and there, if only to allow us to track some shorter-term surprises rather than relying solely on the longer range and it’s associated up-and-down mood swings.

45 minutes ago, mattie g said:

Fair enough - I absolutely cede to your recollection of events. That was a long time ago, and I was living in DC or Arlington during that time, so those events may have been a little less impressive in those areas.

I’d love to see us returning to getting clippers here and there, if only to allow us to track some shorter-term surprises rather than relying solely on the longer range and it’s associated up-and-down mood swings.

I don’t mind clippers at all. And sometimes they can really put down good totals up here. There were 2 in the 2000s that dropped 6” up here. Plus to get clippers the northern stream has to be pretty far south so it’s at least usually a cold pattern and often those clippers came before or after bigger storms. In Nina years with no STJ often those are all there is.  But we haven’t spent enough time in cold patterns lately to get many.  

1 hour ago, Steve25 said:

If I may ask, where did you gather all this storm info from? I always struggle to find specific data like this. 

most here keep their own records of weather events in their backyards. Sparky has a pretty extensive list he pulls out when someone reflects about an event. 

• Like 1