• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Upstate/Eastern New York

Just now, rochesterdave said:

Hey Tim, Wofie, which euro provider did you go with? Weatherbell? 

Ive gotta up my game. I want access to the new 6/18z runs. Are you getting those? 

Wxbell was good because it also had some meso models if I recall correctly (doubtful). 

weathermodels,com Dr. Maue, hes the one who created Wxbells model page but he went on his own and now has his own site and its cheaper.  wxbell does not have 18Z runs of Euro.  I have wxbell and an cancelling at end of the month.

2 minutes ago, wolfie09 said:

I use WB because their maps are top notch..They are a little pricey ($25) a month..U don’t get 6z/18z Euro..

U do get some meso models, NMM,ARW,3k nam,hrdps,hrrr etc 

plus all the ensemble and long range goodies..

Go to weathermodels.com seriously, has everything that wxbell has and more, and its cheaper.

2 hours ago, BuffaloWeather said:

I really like late November timeframe for a retrograding low and lake enhancement south of Ontario. That blocking is legit. Very strong signal.

Retrograde lows allow The South shire to accumulate incredible amounts of qpf. We don’t need much to seed the lake process. It’s usually a late winter event. 

13 minutes ago, rochesterdave said:

Retrograde lows allow The South shire to accumulate incredible amounts of qpf. We don’t need much to seed the lake process. It’s usually a late winter event. 

It is? Do you have concrete data to prove that? I'm pretty sure it can happen anytime of the year with equal chances depending on the indices in place. You need blocking to retrograde the low, that doesn't happen just in late winter. Remember Nov. of 2016? Buffalo got nothing while you guys got 2-3'. 

Lake Effect Summary - November 19-21, 2016 - Storm Total Snow Map

• Like 1

I think its more common in early winter actually. This is another example of a retrograding low. 

The busy December continued with another classic...a strong 
northwest flow event on the heels of our major southwest event. 
After a two day break...a strong northwest flow of arctic air set 
up...with plenty of synoptic moisture spinning back from a 
retrograding low over Quebec. This combination led to a long lasting 
event. There were several periods of more organized snow during the 
four day period ...but the activity never really stopped until 
Thursday (9th) when high pressure finally settled in and squashed 
the activity.

Lake Effect Summary - Dec 05 2010 to Dec 09 2010 - Storm Total Snow Map

I don’t have proof but I have 46 years of living here. I could be wrong but I think of retro lows happening in March and the end of February. But that’s just anecdotal. 

I think we had a broader discussion last year about Roc vs BUF snowfall and that Roc gets it more at the end while BUF does well early in the season. That at least is provable. 

We, as you said, need a block or significant traffic in the N Atlantic. Progressive wx patterns don’t lend to that scenario and idk but November seems progressive usually.

usually and seems are piss poor terms for a scientific discussion. I’ll try and research 

3 minutes ago, rochesterdave said:

I don’t have proof but I have 46 years of living here. I could be wrong but I think of retro lows happening in March and the end of February. But that’s just anecdotal. 

I think we had a broader discussion last year about Roc vs BUF snowfall and that Roc gets it more at the end while BUF does well early in the season. That at least is provable. 

We, as you said, need a block or significant traffic in the N Atlantic. Progressive wx patterns don’t lend to that scenario and idk but November seems progressive usually.

usually and seems are piss poor terms for a scientific discussion. I’ll try and research 

That's because Lake Erie freezes early, if it didn't Buffalo would run away with it each year. 

15 minutes ago, rochesterdave said:

I mentioned that in the first post. It's a great pattern for mid atlantic and northeast. 

The PNA ridge looks to strengthen at the end of the month, The pacific looks neutral, with a negative NAO and negative AO which usually leads to the best mid Atlantic snowstorms. All in all it should result in slightly below normal temps which should translate to mostly snow at this time of year. 

Agree on all points except the below normal part, which I think it becomes an issue and reach's double digits but Upper single digits below the norm seems like a lock with all the features present, but they also have to come to fruition, and that's where the problem lies, lol! If it gets that cold then we watch systems pass by to our S&E, lol!  I definitely wouldn't be laughing if that happened, but I can see it also.  Too many good signals to ignore. The Pac is a Wild card because of the Alution Low, as it may want to form further East which would displace the trough a bit further West while we warm, but not torch.