• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Richmond Metro/Hampton Roads Discussion

RIC Airport

I've been following this threat for a while but I kept quiet since I didn't think it'll impact MBY lol. Today's NAM is sucking me in though... I'd set the bar at 2" for RIC and trace/coating for ORF. Gonna be tough to get accumulating snow since boundary layer seems very toasty with surface temps in mid 30s. At least the timing is getting better, it's supposed to be a Monday evening/night event for my neck of the woods now. AKQ also upped the totals area wide for their forecast snowfall graphic.

I've been following this threat for a while but I kept quiet since I didn't think it'll impact MBY lol. Today's NAM is sucking me in though... I'd set the bar at 2" for RIC and trace/coating for ORF. Gonna be tough to get accumulating snow since boundary layer seems very toasty with surface temps in mid 30s. At least the timing is getting better, it's supposed to be a Monday evening/night event for my neck of the woods now. AKQ also upped the totals area wide for their forecast snowfall graphic.
Might get a surprise our way.

21 hours ago, wasnow215 said:

You are correct -still good numbers. Thoughts on upcoming potential?

At this point, Sunday afternoon, I am not impressed by anything I am seeing for metro RIC. :-( I'll be surprised at anything over an inch in the city, if that. Would love to be wrong. Obviously a better chance for a bit more west of the city.

7 hours ago, tramadoc said:

@SteveVa, this is a really weird graphic for the high end. 5"? Really? C'mon man.

Yeah, I found that weird too. They might be thinking that a deformation band could crush us as the low deepens and moves away while colder air starts filtering in. I'm not buying that solution at all tonight, I'd like to see HRRR or RAP show something to that effect. I guess it's fair game from AKQ mets since it is a possibility, and that map serves mostly as the worst-case scenario.

Edit: Well they just updated the afd, there is the answer

Depending on how the low tracks, it is not impossible that areas
of SE VA and NE NC see more snow Mon evening, but confidence in
that is very low, thus the advisory is in effect only for
portions of the Piedmont where thermal profiles are at least
marginally favorable.

30 minutes ago, wasnow215 said:

Late for models but 3k NAM gives RVA 1-2” later today

doubtfull with the temps where they are at unless this really slows down or we get a real heavy burst here in Richmond ...  Maybe we can squeeze out enough for a nice picture of snow on the grass/tree areas...The beach areas may get something before it really blows up ...

So painfully close.....

27 minutes ago, eaglesin2011 said:

doubtfull with the temps where they are at unless this really slows down or we get a real heavy burst ...  maybe we can get enough for a nice picture of snow on the grass/tree areas...

So painfully close.....

Well fwiw HRRR not even close so far ...so that’s not a good model to lean on today lol. But yeah probably grass etc 

Updated zone forecast looks not too bad for SE VA and NE NC. HRRR isn't too inspiring, but...

NCZ015-122000-
Pasquotank-
Including the city of Elizabeth City
1219 PM EDT Mon Mar 12 2018

.THIS AFTERNOON...Rain, breezy with highs in the mid 40s. North
winds 15 to 20 mph with gusts up to 30 mph. Chance of rain near
100 percent.
.TONIGHT...Rain and snow in the evening, then snow likely after
midnight. Snow accumulation around an inch. Windy with lows in
the lower 30s. North winds 15 to 25 mph with gusts up to 35 mph.
Chance of precipitation near 100 percent.
VAZ095-122000-
Norfolk/Portsmouth-
1219 PM EDT Mon Mar 12 2018

.THIS AFTERNOON...Rain, breezy with highs in the mid 40s.
Northeast winds 15 to 20 mph with gusts up to 30 mph. Chance of
rain 90 percent.
.TONIGHT...Rain and snow. Snow accumulation around an inch. Windy
with lows in the lower 30s. North winds 20 to 30 mph with gusts
up to 40 mph. Chance of precipitation 90 percent.
  • Like 1

Yep, can confirm moderate snow in Innsbrook...slowly sticking to grass, mulch and leaves are faring better.  Winter's last gasp.  At least the RIC/SEVA thread can be somewhat relevant and near the top of the board here at the bitter end.

Roll on spring and severe weather season.

• Like 1