Newest Member
    joxey
WxChallenge 2016-2017

Mallow

• Replies 447
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Went with a rather aggressive forecast of 70/46/19/0.01"

Temperatures always seem to overperform in strong WAA immediately ahead of a cold front, and the rain looks to really diminish as it approaches which seems to help the odds of temps getting warmer. Rain will probably be light, likely under 0.05" and I can foresee how they get a trace or 0. BL average winds near the time of the frontal passage will increase to around 20 knots, and they may mix better than modeled if temps end up a little warmer than the models, so I went high on the winds. Biggest question mark is the low...the CAA is pretty strong, but the winds likely won't decouple much before 6z so it'll be interesting to see how much they drop tomorrow evening.

69/46/18/0

The air mass will be about 1.5C warmer than today per NAM BUFKIT 925 mb temps. so I figure they should get to where they got today at the very least but wouldn't be surprised if they get a bit higher with the WAA. The low is tricky, as 06z lows usually are. The GFS seemed to indicate a gradual drop in Td's tomorrow night which didn't really make sense given the frontal passage. Decided to side with the NAM as its more aggressive drop in T/Td made more physical sense to me. Went high on the winds as BUFKIT does show the potential for them to mix down some pretty good winds with 20 kts below 950 mb. Didn't want to risk precip. as the odds seem to favor nothing measurable with the main thrust of omega missing well to the north.

62/41/8

Tomorrow looks awfully similar to Day 1 in regards to the high temp. On Day 1, the 925mb temps were about 9C and they reached 65F. Tomorrow the 925 mb temps are forecast to be around 7.5C so I figured it should be a few degrees cooler than Monday. However, there was some cloud cover on Monday on the backside of a departing ridge which likely won't be present tomorrow so we'll see. Kind of felt like I needed to go 62F just to try to gain some spots since USL had 64F. Low looks like it will be tomorrow night at 06z. Hoping they can radiate enough with clear skies and calm winds.

84/59/13

The high managed to get to 80F today with 850s around 14C. Tomorrows 850s should be in the 15.5C to 16C range so with fewer clouds they should get a bit above guidance. The low was a tough call but if they somehow mix any of the LLJ they probably wont get below 60F. However, if they can stay calm like they are now and manage to get dews to drop a bit then they could get to the MOS low of 56F. I guess I took the middle ground of the USL/NAM. Winds will be howling just above the surface tomorrow with the NAM showing >20 kts 2000 ft above the surface. However, given the station's history of not mixing well on SW winds decided to play it conservatively. Of course if there were ever a day to throw climatology out the window I guess it would be tomorrow. :lol:

5 minutes ago, H2Otown_WX said:

84/59/13

The high managed to get to 80F today with 850s around 14C. Tomorrows 850s should be in the 15.5C to 16C range so with fewer clouds they should get a bit above guidance. The low was a tough call but if they somehow mix any of the LLJ they probably wont get below 60F. However, i they can stay calm like they are now and manage to get dews to drop a bit then they could get to the MOS low of 56F. I guess I took the middle ground of the USL/NAM. Winds will be howling just above the surface tomorrow with the NAM showing >20 kts above the surface. However, given the station's history of not mixing well on SW winds decided to play it conservatively. Of course if there were ever a day to throw climatology out the window I guess it would be tomorrow. :lol:

Technically it probably went higher but they were doing maintenance on the ASOS today so during the time it was down was not being recorded only reported hourly for about 2 hours today until about 3pm. That 80 was from just before 330pm and ignore the low lol again another maintenance thing, shows 23 on my end lol. 

Archived