• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Texas/New Mexico/Louisiana/Mexico Obs And Discussion Thread Part 8

wxmx

18Z GFS continues idea of light snow at least along the Red River Wednesday morning right behind the front. By Thursday it has a 1041mb high over N TX. With these two things I think it is underdoing the lows Thu and Fri as it shows mid to upper 20s with DPs in the teens with a very light wind going calm.

14 minutes ago, aggiegeog said:

18Z GFS continues idea of light snow at least along the Red River Wednesday morning right behind the front. By Thursday it has a 1041mb high over N TX. With these two things I think it is underdoing the lows Thu and Fri as it shows mid to upper 20s with DPs in the teens with a very light wind going calm.

It looks like 7 of the 15 Euro EPS members that show snow are with the first impulse that was on the 00z Euro and the 12 & 18z GFS. 

My outlook for December in October was the first image ("December 2016 US Outlook")

But now I think this is on the table ("December Scenario - Worst")

I'm a bit annoyed as the outlook was about spot on in Oct & Nov. The new December map is pretty close to what I expected for temperature profiles in January.

Accuweather has been showing Dec temp profiles in much of the West at around 2-6F below normal for a while now. Albuquerque was shown last night at ~43F for a mean high, against the 1931-2015 average of 47.8F. Today it shows 43.8F. Denver, Cheyenne and Albuquerque all look around 3-5F below normal by their reckoning.

December 2016 US Outlook.png

December Scenario - Worst.png

Next week looks like it will be a McFarland event with a Rio Grande Valley freeze. Interestingly it will be -WPO (Bering Sea ridge)driven unlike most others which are -EPO driven (ridge over GoA and into AK). North of I-20 highs could be sub freezing with lows in the teens for a day for a day or two.

WOW! Today's 0z ECMWF has H85 temps down to a whopping -14.5°C at DFW after Arctic front next week. Last time we saw H85 temps anywhere near this cold was during the intense Arctic air outbreak the week of the Super Bowl in February 2011. The NWS this morning said they undercut the coldest guidance on Thursday's temps with a low of 28°F and high of 44°F. They must have not looked at the ECMWF. This kind of cold would produce nearly the coldest temps at DFW in nearly 20 years comparable to 2011 but more like February 1996, but colder. Outlying areas would see lows in the single digits with the Airport itself between 10°F and 13°F. Highs would not get above freezing Thursday. If we had a snow pack with that kind of cold then single digits even at the Airport would be a good bet. However, the ECMWF is bone dry.

44 minutes ago, aggiegeog said:

It sounds like some of the Euro ensembles have a winter storm with the front. If we get snow or ice then the first single digit code in a very long time is possible. Red River counties could flirt with 0. Man I am getting excited.

The 00z Euro EPS backed way off on the snow chances vs. 12z. Only one member shows anything for DFW next week. 

27 minutes ago, bubba hotep said:

The 00z Euro EPS backed way off on the snow chances vs. 12z. Only one member shows anything for DFW next week. 

Many model runs to go so we will see, but it looks like a pretty dry system. Maybe we can get us a little NW flow kink to bring some snow showers within the Arctic air mass.

7 minutes ago, DFWWeather said:

This Arctic front looks as though it will penetrate all the way to Central America!

Yep, this kind of cold is very dense and it just flows south even with minimal upper air support.

This system will also extend the snow pack into the Central and maybe Southern Plains. Also, plenty of cold air will remain in western Canada for subsequent fronts to tap into. There appears to be a chain of fronts through at least mid month and likely into January.

4 minutes ago, DFWWeather said:

The 12z GFS vs 0z ECMWF are very different on next week. GFS is warmer than ECMWF and has been the whole time. Shouldn't this be the other way around? GFS has a more NW SE trajectory sending the coldest air off to our north and east giving just kinda a glancing blow.

The GFS is worthless right now as far as the midweek storm is concerned. With a -PNA and +NAO there is no reason for the storm to take the track it shows.

Hello,

This is Jez. I am new here so sorry if this is wrong forum. I want to learn about weather, as a hobby. So I can talk to my friends and be smart and maybe do a degree in the sciences later on :)

Do you recommend any good beginners resources?

Also, I am in the Houston, TX area. I hear that it is going to rain several inches this weekend, is that right? How can I learn more about it, apart from the news channels?

Thank you and apologies if I have posted something wrong. 

xx

Jez

So I matched "wet" Novembers in non-El Nino years to conditions observed this year in Albuquerque. It's like dead on, every month except for August, when most of the city probably did have 1.2-1.5" rain, but the airport only had 0.86". The signal is pretty strong for an above normal January in terms of precip here, and the implied storm track is pretty interesting nationally.

Jez - you should read some books and then research what you don't understand. That's what I do!

Non-El Nino Years with lots of Precip in November in ABQ.png

Wet Nov Non-El Nino storm track.png

Welcome to the board Jez! You are definitely in the right place for Houston weather. I think most of the active members are more towards Dallas on this board, but a few in C Stat and Austin as well. I've learned a lot mainly from reading and following the posters on this board. 

With winter coming up, I imagine this place will start getting more action!

It sure is going to be a wet and chilly weekend, already up around 0.5" here and 47 degrees. That map is looks reasonable though there is some chance of more. We only look to get a one day break on Tuesday before more rain and much colder weather crashes through on Wed. Temps likely won't reach 45 for days afterwards with some days struggling to reach freezing. Moisture behind the front looks meager but models always struggle to see the little systems that can bring us snow behind these.

The 00z Euro looks to be trending to a "warmer" solution for next week with this outbreak looking a lot like some of the others from the past couple of seasons. The heart of the cold stays off to the NE vs diving straight down the spine of the Rockies. I guess on the bright side, the GFS has backed off the mid-month 70s? 

50 minutes ago, bubba hotep said:

The 00z Euro looks to be trending to a "warmer" solution for next week with this outbreak looking a lot like some of the others from the past couple of seasons. The heart of the cold stays off to the NE vs diving straight down the spine of the Rockies. I guess on the bright side, the GFS has backed off the mid-month 70s? 

As long as we have -PNA I am hopeful that the cold will come straight south though the -NAO is a bit too negative for my liking. It may turn out that the front early next week will be even stronger down here with cold air in place already and more snow to work with down the Plains plus a more +NAO.

I gotta tell you guys, for the last week or so the La Nina has looked pretty ragged. It's too early to know, but I think it peaked in SON. Will be interesting to see the value for that period on Monday.

The years with La Nina or La Nina ish conditions in SON that then weakened ("warmed") by DJF since 1930 are:

1931, 1947, 1956, 1964, 1971, 1978, 1983, 1989, 1992. Three of those years come up a fair amount in temperature/precip trends this year in my area - 1978, 1983, 1989. Also, 1931, 1956, 1964, 1971, 1978, 1983, and 1992 - all either immediately followed or preceded an El Nino, so that's kind of interesting to think about in terms of the interference to La Nina / La Nina-ish conditions.

I used <=-0.2C in SON in Nino 3.4, followed by a warmer reading in Nino 3.4 in DJF as my thresholds, and I threw out the years that were <=-1.2C in SON, since this is a much weaker event. 

It's actually an average to pretty wet pattern for everyone but California & Maine. 

cdas-sflux_ssta_global_1.png

5 hours ago, raindancewx said:

I gotta tell you guys, for the last week or so the La Nina has looked pretty ragged. It's too early to know, but I think it peaked in SON. Will be interesting to see the value for that period on Monday.

The years with La Nina or La Nina ish conditions in SON that then weakened ("warmed") by DJF since 1930 are:

1931, 1947, 1956, 1964, 1971, 1978, 1983, 1989, 1992. Three of those years come up a fair amount in temperature/precip trends this year in my area - 1978, 1983, 1989. Also, 1931, 1956, 1964, 1971, 1978, 1983, and 1992 - all either immediately followed or preceded an El Nino, so that's kind of interesting to think about in terms of the interference to La Nina / La Nina-ish conditions.

I used <=-0.2C in SON in Nino 3.4, followed by a warmer reading in Nino 3.4 in DJF as my thresholds, and I threw out the years that were <=-1.2C in SON, since this is a much weaker event. 

It's actually an average to pretty wet pattern for everyone but California & Maine. 

cdas-sflux_ssta_global_1.png

Yea, I've been noticing that. We could be talking about a "snowy" El Nino winter again next year?

ps2png-atls02-95e2cf679cd58ee9b4db4dd119